Swine Flu Myths - NewScientist

blabbate

About 90% of the deaths caused by swine flu happened in people who had underlying health conditions. Those who are immunocompromised are obviously going to have a harder time dealing with this illness.

The scary thing is though, that young, healthy people are now dropping dead from this disease so if you get swine flu, seek medical treatment ASAP. Of course, make sure you don't infect others. Wear a mask, and notify the medical clinic/hospital beforehand so they can prepare for you to prevent spreading the illness to others.

About 90% of the deaths caused by swine flu happened in people who had underlying health conditions. Those who are immunocompromised are obviously going to have a harder time dealing with this illness.

The scary thing is though, that young, healthy people are now dropping dead from this disease so if you get swine flu, seek medical treatment ASAP. Of course, make sure you don't infect others. Wear a mask, and notify the medical clinic/hospital beforehand so they can prepare for you to prevent spreading the illness to others.

I think that's the most important thing I took away from the article. This flu can kill you in the prime of your life, regardless of what vitamins or fluids you're taking. It's extremely unlikely, but possible. So just be careful.

I think that's the most important thing I took away from the article. This flu can kill you in the prime of your life, regardless of what vitamins or fluids you're taking. It's extremely unlikely, but possible. So just be careful.

Isn't that how the bird flu ( H5N1? ) works? Healthier people tend to die as their immune systems are strong enough to respond so hard that their bodies can't take it?

Isn't that how the bird flu ( H5N1? ) works? Healthier people tend to die as their immune systems are strong enough to respond so hard that their bodies can't take it?

I haven't heard that before. All I've seen so far indicates that this virus just happens to fall into a gap in the immune profiles of people between 20 and 50. Those older than 50 have more likely been exposed to a variant close enough to this one to provide some degree of protection.

I'm very on edge about it. On the one hand i'm not so sure of a vaccine that was created so suddenly and is obviously not vegan. on the other hand, I go to a school that has already seen quite a few cases and 3 young healthy people have died in the area. I just feel like maybe it would be a good idea, my school is holding a clinic on tuesday...

So my question is, knowing how it is manufactured, how many of you plan on getting the vaccine?

I am not, at least not yet. There are still shortages in my area, I work from home, I have no children, and nobody in my extended circle of friends has gotten sick. I think it would be wasted on me right now.

If supply goes up enough, I'll probably get it. I have no worries about safety, and protecting myself and others is a higher ethical imperative for me.

Here, my school is only doing those with underlying health issues and any one 24 and under that is a student. Which would include me. (24)

If I get it though I will most likely get it at the clinic my mom works at (she's a nurse) that way we would get it together.

I quess we should blame the shortage on Pres. Obama.

In 2004 Hillary was on board with this blame game too.

You've got to love it folks.

Kerry Ad Says Flu Vaccine Shortage Is Typical of Bush's Policy Blunders

By Howard Kurtz

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, October 17, 2004; Page A06

Sen. John F. Kerry jumped on the flu-vaccine shortage yesterday with a new television ad blaming the situation on President Bush.

In what may be the first presidential campaign commercial dealing with the flu, the Democratic nominee is trying to portray the vaccine squeeze as typical of the president's mishandling of health care. Bush campaign spokesman Steve Schmidt said that Kerry had opposed a legislative remedy and that his "incredible hypocrisy just demonstrates again his willingness to say whatever will benefit him politically."