In proportion?

kumar5

Hello all,

So I just counted my daily calories on my weight lifting days and it's about 2400, with 58% carbs, 30% fat and 12% protein. I'm 58kg, 175cm. My fatty areas are my stomach and thighs- I'm kind of skinny fat. :P This diet is new, as 2 months ago I was eating less and my weight gain must be due to more food. As for activities, I'm going to start muay thai and go to the gym in November, so I'd like to see how this new diet works.

I'm worried that I'm not taking in enough protein. This is my diet:

Meal 1: 1 cup soy milk, 3 slices bread with peanut butter, honey and butter, 2 wheat biscuits

Meal 2: Rice with 3 types of vegetables in fried or curry form, 1 wheat biscuit

Meal 3: 3 tablespoons instant oats with 3 tablespoons of powder milk, 1 small box of raisins

Meal 4: (POST WORKOUT) 1 orange, 3 slices of bread with peanut butter, honey and butter, 2 wheat biscuits, 1 piece tofu

Meal 5: Half an apple, rice with 3 types of vegetables in fried or curry form

Meal 6: 1 cup milk, 2 wheat biscuits

I assume this needs improvement but I can only add foods from the list as some types of proteins, like hemp and seitan are not easy to come by. Protein powders are too pricey too. I can increase the quantity of some foods here, though. My aim is to get big soon.

Hope you guys can advise me. Thanks.

Meal 1: 1 cup soy milk, 3 slices bread with peanut butter, honey and butter, 2 wheat biscuits

Meal 6: 1 cup milk, 2 wheat biscuits

this may sound like a stupid question so please forgive me for i am new to this way of eating.

but, from what i understand, i thought being Vegan meant that you don't consume ANY animal products.

I take 6 almonds daily, haha. Will try to look for almond butter.

I'm going to try wheat germ or protein powder to up my protein.

Bread, I can't cut them down, as they are the base of my meals. But it's wholemeal, so not as bad as white bread. :P

Your protein intake would be just fine if you were an inactive person but you're not. I would def up it a notch. Try hitting around 25% protein. It's kind of hard when you're just starting out with vegan sport diets but if you fall short it's no problem really. Eat more legumes (beans, lentils and peas). Protein powder isn't a bad idea. Nuts contain a high amount of protein but it's still a low protein food if you look at the energy percentage coming from protein. Legumes and soy products like TVP, tofu and tempeh plus veggies are ideal for vegan athletes to base a meal on. You can of course eat nuts, they are healthy and rich in minerals and vitamins but as a protein source I would say they are not very solid.

FYI you really don't need to eat 6 meals per day if you don't want to. If you focus on three meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) I think it would be easier to eat more wholesome foods instead of typical snacks like sandwhiches and biscuits. I'm not saying sandwhiches are bad bad there are better options. If you do want to eat sandwhiches I highly recommend making hummus as a spread. And you should use a lot of hummus on every sandwhich!

I don't mind eating 6 meals a day, as eating tires me, haha. Too much in one go and I just want to vomit.

I'll try the tofu and tempeh, they seem the best options now. And protein powder too.

Sandwiches, I can put the tofu and tempeh in them. I need practical solutions as time and money are not on my side.

Thanks xjohanx