My side effects on high protein

shawnb222

Hey folks, just recieved my vegan protein powders this morning.

I think I had a little bit too much homework during the day after my morning workout.

After my workout I had 50/50 rice protein and hemp protein. powder- About 25-30 Grams protein

About an hour or so after I had ultimate nutrition's wheat protein (damn stuff has sucralose in it, might return it)

And about 2 and a half ours my wheat protein shake I had a pea protein shake my olympian labs..

Then 2 hours later I had a huge romain salad with lots of alfalfa sprouts and veggies

Then about an hour after the salad I started to get knee and hip pains. I have never got this since I used to consume lots of animal protein like meat and whey, now I know believe that high protein diets is definately linked to osteporosis, there proof. Oh yeah I started getting slight pains around my groin and kidney area; on my first day of my high protein diet. I have never got these pains when I stuck to my high raw vegan diet; on my raw vegan diet I consumed no more than 40 grams of protein a day.

Another thing is that ever since today my energy levels dropped. I dont know if it is the energy being used to digest these protein powders, or is it the fact that it's too much protein. Personally I am unaware if these powders are causing it.

So therefore I will try to limit myself to 2 protein shakes a day maximum. Because I find whenever I consume anymore than like 70 - 80 grams of protein I start to feel abnormal knee pains. Maybe eventually I will be able to consume 90-100 grams of protein, like when I am alot more muscular developed in which my body will actually use the protein, rather than the protein leaching vital calcium from my bones, I can then possibly bump it up to 3 shakes a day.

So this is to all you bodybuilding folks out there, if you ever feel pains in your joints, kidneys, or groin area, this is not normal. It most likely means you are consuming too much protein; causing health problems. Many bodybuilding/fitness enthusiasts ignore these pains and think they are normal. The pains are not normal, the excess protein is causing it.

Hope you all have a great week-end!

Protein doesn't leech calcium from the bones. Phosphorous on the other hand..

You really don't need to take that many protein supplements anyways. Just stick to whole foods and supplement protein on days where you need more such as after a workout, or if you're too busy to prepare a proper meal. If you're getting pains around the kidney and groin area it's probably your bowel. Make sure you are drinking lots of water when you're taking that much protein.

When you get the joint paint is it after any exercise or does it just start hurting for no reason?

Protein doesn't leech calcium from the bones. Phosphorous on the other hand..

You really don't need to take that many protein supplements anyways. Just stick to whole foods and supplement protein on days where you need more such as after a workout, or if you're too busy to prepare a proper meal. If you're getting pains around the kidney and groin area it's probably your bowel. Make sure you are drinking lots of water when you're taking that much protein.

When you get the joint paint is it after any exercise or does it just start hurting for no reason?

Hmm, many sources over the internet stated that the main reason for osteoporisis in america is the amount of protein we take, maybe its the protein maybe its not lol

About the pain around the kidneys and groin, I never got the pain ever since I took this much protein, so it might be the protein, im guessing it is. I was still drinking alot of water and it took quite a while before the pain went.

It just started to hurt like at 7 pm and I did a chest and tricep workout ending at 12 pm. It hrut for no reason because I worked my legs out 2 or 3 days prior. Plus when I work out my legs I dont get joint pains I just get muscle pains which I assume is normal lol.

This is strange. I understand the correlation but don't see how the amount of protein could be causing it.

Any chance you're sensitive to gluten?

I probably am sensitive to gluten. I heard actually all humans are sensitive to gluten just to a certain degree. I just really believe its the too much protein that drains my energy. Usually after a workout I never had that much lack of energy until I consumed so much protein.

Maybe its the extra enzymes my body has to use to digest these powders. Thats why a raw food diet without supplemenets is optimal, cuz all the foods you eat comes with digesting enzymes so you body doesnt have to waste it's own.

Eat carbs with your protein. It compliments it plus it will provide you with the energy needed.

When taking on extra protein drink even more water! You might think you are drinking a lot until you measure it all out. You'd be surprised...

Also it may be the thick creamy ing taste of Olympian Labs pea protein causing your problems... Lol

IMO you have to work up to higher amounts of protein intake without encountering issues. Like you said start out with just one or two shakes a day spaced out of course then as the weeks go on try increasing it by another shake if needed. Some people need more and some don't.

Protein doesn't leech calcium from the bones.

So protein-induced calciuria is just a conspiracy theory?

I understand the correlation but don't see how the amount of protein could be causing it.

This!

I think it's placebo. You've read about negative effects of a high protein diet, you try it and right away you notice the symptoms.

Maybe eventually I will be able to consume 90-100 grams of protein, like when I am alot more muscular developed in which my body will actually use the protein

Your body uses the protein anyway. If not there is something seriously wrong with your digestive system.

So this is to all you bodybuilding folks out there, if you ever feel pains in your joints, kidneys, or groin area, this is not normal. It most likely means you are consuming too much protein; causing health problems. Many bodybuilding/fitness enthusiasts ignore these pains and think they are normal. The pains are not normal, the excess protein is causing it.

No.

I have never ever had pains from taking protein except when I used to take whey. It used to make me ill. Very ill.. Like... Run to the bathroom and puke kind of ill. That's how I suspected I had a dairy allergy.

In my opinion, Shawn, you should be careful about where you acquire your information on the web. A lot of people post blogs or articles and really have no legitimate sources to back their claims up with.

It could also be psychosomatic. If you think taking lots of protein will make you sick, then your mind will indeed make you feel sick. Like Johan said, it's a "placebo" effect.

sorry, but this is so stupid.

if you ever feel pain in your joints it's probably because your technique sucks and you're fucking up your joints in the gym.

To much protein causes renal failure and kidney stones(ouch!).

No.

Here's an article about how the kidneys work. Educate yourself before posting wrong information.

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/Kudiseases/pubs/yourkidneys/

As far as kidney stones goes, it is possible with a high protein diet but usually it's because the individual doesn't drink enough water.

I've never heard of anybody's kidneys failing because they eat too much protein. That's ridiculous.

With an already consisting kidney problem, maybe. For healthy people, no.

if you ever feel pain in your joints it's probably because your technique sucks and you're fucking up your joints in the gym.

+1

With an already consisting kidney problem, maybe. For healthy people, no.

+1

+2 on all of the above, I just wrote a paper on eating disorders in bodybuilders and the affects the diet has on their body for my Psychology of eating class. I had to read tons of studies on high protein diets and what it can do to the body. One study by Barzel and Massey (1998) found a diet really high in protein "generates large amounts of acids (sulfates and phosphates) which can adversely affect bones because “a diet high in acid-ash proteins causes excessive calcium loss because of its acidogenic [acid forming] content.” The authors conclude that the consumption of excessive protein can adversely affect bones “unless buffered by the consumption of alkali-rich foods”. (Boss 2009)

I was unable to find studies that focused solely on bodybuilders and their particular diets, so this information can only really be extrapolated to bodybuilders. Also , all of the studies I read on high protein diets and kidney function support what xjohanx said.

No.

Here's an article about how the kidneys work. Educate yourself before posting wrong information.

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/Kudiseases/pubs/yourkidneys/

As far as kidney stones goes, it is possible with a high protein diet but usually it's because the individual doesn't drink enough water.

I've never heard of anybody's kidneys failing because they eat too much protein. That's ridiculous.

Sorry, i read it on Dr.William Wong's website(found link on Mike Mahlers site) And that was just some of the stuff he mentioned.But i now find that just about all of the info on his website is not 100% like his anti soy campaign and his animal enzyme product he says cures cancer.I knew i shouldn't have trusted that evil bastard.

Sorry, i read it on Dr.William Wong's website (found link on Mike Mahlers site) And that was just some of the stuff he mentioned.But i now find that just about all of the info on his website is not 100% like his anti soy campaign and his animal enzyme product he says cures cancer.I knew i shouldn't have trusted that evil bastard.

Yep, any time anyone says "Product X / Diet X will cure cancer", you should probably run in the other direction as quickly as possible

If Dr. Wong is actually making that claim, he's going to get his license pulled (if he's actually a physician), because you simply can't legally claim it about ANYTHING. That's the kind of stuff that will get you in hot water quickly, making unfounded claims about any product being a cure for disease when it's unproven. I'm sure he's got some sort of disclaimer out there on his site, but nonetheless, there's no cure for cancer. At least, nothing we've discovered yet.

Alright guys. For the past few days I gave myself a rest from protein eating mostly raw fruits and vegetables.

For the sources of protein I plan on only getting them from organic raw hemp seed protein, and sprouted rice protein. But I have not made up whether to keep consuming the pea protein because of the fact that I dont know how its processed. Personally I feel I should do more research on whether I should even be consuming over 50 grams of protein per day.

If you're eating whole food like rice, beans, pasta, nuts, veggies and fruits, it is pretty easy to get enough calories and you probably don't need protein supplements.

If I eat a raw diet consisting of only fruits and veggies, I try to supplement with one or two Hemp protein shake. Because fruits and greens (with just a little bit of acocados or nuts, like 3 or 4 times per week) provides enough proteins only if we eat enough calories but its a lot of fruits and veggies so if I dont have time or apetite to eat all this I supplement with hemp protein. Anyway I only do this in Spring and Summer to lose some bodyfat and as some sort of detox for the body and mind.

Marcina was kind of right when she says it is not the protein that causes osteoporosis but phosphorus, sulfur, etc. Like DJShrew said, most proteins are rich in acid-forming minerals and metals like sulfur, iron, etc but some foods high in protein are alkaline. Grains dont have as much protein as animal products but they are very acidic on the PH. To be healthy the body needs to maintain a healthy PH slightly alkaline, if there is too much acid in the foods it needs to take calcium from teeth and bones to compensate.

Oatmeal is very acidic, adding raisins in it make it more neutral. To eat greens with protein, etc.

I believe what many bodybuilders try to do is to eat more protein then what they need so that they have a positive nitrogen balance, it directly leads to a negative calcium balance. Is it really necessary to have a positive nitrogen balance in order to grow muscles ? I don't think so but if it is I wouldn't suggest to do this all year or all life. The body needs a break at least once a year. We often hear : pro bodybuilding doesn't mean healthy. But why not, I think the body can build more muscles when it is perfectly healthy rather than when it is acid sick, the body always healing itself to get back to a normal PH.

Personally I feel I should do more research on whether I should even be consuming over 50 grams of protein per day.

If you want to build muscle you need to. If you want to be scrawny and weak, don't bother.

Grains dont have as much protein as animal products but they are very acidic on the PH.

Not very no.

I believe what many bodybuilders try to do is to eat more protein then what they need so that they have a positive nitrogen balance, it directly leads to a negative calcium balance.

Not true at all.

Is it really necessary to have a positive nitrogen balance in order to grow muscles ? I don't think so but if it is I wouldn't suggest to do this all year or all life.

Do you have any clue what you are saying? Do you even know what nitrogen balance is and how it's regulated? Why am I asking? You obviously don't.

Alright guys. For the past few days I gave myself a rest from protein eating mostly raw fruits and vegetables.

For the sources of protein I plan on only getting them from organic raw hemp seed protein, and sprouted rice protein. But I have not made up whether to keep consuming the pea protein because of the fact that I dont know how its processed. Personally I feel I should do more research on whether I should even be consuming over 50 grams of protein per day.

If your goal is to gain muscle you won't get very far on a 50g of protein a day diet.

We have all given you enough information on why eating a low protein diet will not help you. You're obviously getting your "info" from the wrong places so why would you go back to get even more wrong ideas?

Any moron can post stuff on the internet and make a claim. That's why you have to be careful where you do your "research".

Johan, why do you say things like: "No, Not true at all, you don't have any clue what you are saying"... with no explainations ? If you agree then you don't have to add anything but if you don't agree you should write something otherwise there's no discussions.

I don't know if you behave like this because you're too lazy or too ignorant, but one thing is sure is you are arrogant and insolent.

Yes, most grains are acid-forming, but some are alkaline. Meats are much more acidic than grains but animal products like milk, cream, butter and soft cheese are less acidic than grains in general.

Concerning positive nitrogen balance, I went to read a definition of it and its like what I thought. So I don't know what you are talking about.

IYM, you talk a whole lot of bs. But sure let's try to sort things out. Since you made some pretty intresting claims it would be nice to see some sources for this.

When you say that a food is acidic what exactly do you mean by this and how was this measured (every guru seems to have an own way of measuring the pH of a food)? (Please provide an actual scientific study and not a link to www.eatraworyouwilldiefromcancer.com)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you wrote

I believe what many bodybuilders try to do is to eat more protein then what they need so that they have a positive nitrogen balance, it directly leads to a negative calcium balance.

But either you are saying that eating more protein directly leads to a negative calcium balance or that a positive nitrogen balance directly leads to a negative balance so again, please provide some data for this (and not a link to www.eatenzymesorenzymeswilleatyou.com).

And honestly it is pretty clear that you do not understand what nitrogen balance is if you think you can gain muscle mass while being in a negative nitrogen balance. But sure let's do the same here. Please explain in detail how it would work.

And like usual you haven't said or explained anything. I'm not gonna repeat what I already said. Now its your turn to explain your stuff, but if you don't want to that's ok. As for sources, just search PH foods , and positive nitrogen balance and come back with different things than what I wrote if you want to.

DUDE! You haven't explained anything. You just write something and says "this is the way it is", that's not an explanation.

Grains dont have as much protein as animal products but they are very acidic on the PH.

For instance this. I've never seen a pH-scale that show grain to be "very" acidic which is exactly what I questioned. Often they end up between very mildly acidic and medium acidic compared to other foods. And now you're saying that I should find a source for your claim. That's not how a discussion works dude.

Yes, most grains are acid-forming, but some are alkaline. Meats are much more acidic than grains but animal products like milk, cream, butter and soft cheese are less acidic than grains in general.

I've never seen a grain that is alkaline (except maybe maybe barley in one table of PRAL numbers) so I would love to see a source for this too. I'm not sure what soft cheese is either but yeah with dairy it's always the same, more protein > more acidic so low fat alternatives are the worst in that aspect.

And the main reason why I want sources and explanations is for the reason I already mentioned. There are so many different ways to measure this and I need to know which one you go after to be able to understand your arguments. If you really can't say which method is being used to determine the acidity of foods in the book/webpage/whatever you have this is a pointless discussion because I can't sit here and guess. I don't see why this would be so hard to provide.

I'm not gonna repeat what I already said.

You can't even explain if you mean positive nitrogen balance > negative calcium balance or more protein > negative calcium balance, even though I asked you? It's kinda hard discussing things if you can't answer my questions...If you want to learn more about dietary protein and how it affects bone health I highly recommend this newly published study Darling AL et al. Dietary protein and bone health: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009;90 1674-1692.

And regarding negative nitrogen balance and gaining muscle mass...You haven't explained at all how this would work, you just said you think it would. A negative nitrogen balance would mean you would excrete more nitrogen than you consume. The only way to get to a negative nitrogen balance is if you consume less protein than the body uses per day and the body breaks down muscle to fufill its need. Now don't get me wrong because the body is always breaking down muscle and it's always building new muscle tissue but in a negative nitrogen balance the breakdown is bigger than the synthetis of new tissue. It is per defenition a catabolic state of the body and to be in this state will result in disease.