Failure at being VEGAN

Nothing.

The ultimate goal of animal rights is for an animal to be left alone to live in its natural environment. That is not likely to happen in an overpopulated world and the treatment of animals is likely to get worse as people become more concerned about providing for themselves rather than animals.

The current population is almost 7 billion people. It was around 4 billion when I as about Cold Fisson's age. It is predicted to go as high as 11 billion within 40 years.

So, a vegan hoping to provide a better world for animals would be mindful of he size of families s/he is planning to have to avoid contributing to that problem for animals.

The world replacement rate is 2.3 children per woman. So if you could get most people to beget only 2 kids of their own the population would eventually level off and slowly decrease.

Okay, but is it not equally probable that further increases in population will create a need for more efficient food sources therefore fostering a more plant based diet across the globe?

There are older people who act less mature, particularly on internet forums. Beyond that I do think there is a correlation.

I don't believe that I wrote that I thought Cold Fission was immature. I just wrote that his views seem consistent with his age.

Okay, so there is a correlation between age and maturity and that correlation you have clearly implied to be as age increases, maturity increases. Then you continue on to say that you did not think what he said was immature, but that it is consistent with his age. Am I wrong in seeing a contradiction here?

Okay, but is it not equally probable that further increases in population will create a need for more efficient food sources therefore fostering a more plant based diet across the globe?

The more people, the more resources are needed, period. You also have to consider more waste, more pollution, more land, more energy, etc. All of that impacts the animals. Even if the world were 100% vegan, we would still be destroying animal habitat for an overpopulated species.

Beforewisdom, overpopulation and leaving animals alone don't have much in common. Overpopulation is strictly a human problem if it's a problem at all. Look at googleearth - see how terraformed the US and the western world are - acres of empty land, patched by human hand, not by nature - and look at the population density. Cities are overpopulated. Urbanization is what is bothering you. Cities shouldn't exist, at least not in this form.

Back on topic,

Apriltrainer, don't worry, I doubt anyone here has never "sinned". I ate cake (with cream) yesterday. A friendly family knew that there were going to be vegetarians at the table and had made salads and everything and they insisted i tried their special cake - go explain it's not vegan. The end result was that they were made aware that not eating meat is possible and it happened in a pleasant for them way.

Beans freeze well too!

I soaked and then cooked a whole crock pot of black beans last week. When they were finished cooking, I let them cool and then filled up a few freezer bags full of beans and popped them in the freezer. You end up with a frozen bean brick, but I just bang that on the counter a couple times, dump the frozen beans in a pan with some onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder and a little salt. Add some water to make a nice gravy and you can have some pretty well-seasoned black beans in just a few minutes. I think I could eat them with every meal.

I don't mean to interrupt the conversation going on, but as a side note, if you wish to avoid the frozen bean brick here is a solution:

Once you've cooked the beans take a cookie sheet, cover in aluminum foil and spread out the beans in as single layer and freeze them that way first. Then when they are completely frozen transfer them to a freezer bag. They won't stick together.

Again, this isn't meant as a sarcastic jibe, but 20 seems to fit with some of the ideas you have.

A few months back there was a poster here from Australia who was also a martial arts enthusiast. He left. Would you and he be the same person?

Didn't you read through the Mac Danzig video thread comments?

I get what you're saying though, Cold Fission. I've read various studies over the years that find that people who switch to vegetarianism or veganism for ethical reasons as opposed to weight loss or other health reasons end up sticking to the change at way way higher rates.

I agree.

Everyone wants to be perfect health but we all slip up on eating or training.When lives are the direct price of your actions it isn't even a question.

Do you have citations for those studies? I'm asking because there have been a number of articles about people who went vegetarian out of "guilt" and who then switched back when "happy meat" came out.

I don't see how both could be true.

Happy meat is for people in denial.Or just plain idiots.

Edited by Cold Fission

Okay, so there is a correlation between age and maturity and that correlation you have clearly implied to be as age increases, maturity increases. Then you continue on to say that you did not think what he said was immature, but that it is consistent with his age. Am I wrong in seeing a contradiction here?

BW has to tell everyone he is more mature than me.

I have to learn how to multi quote lol

Also BW replied that nothing is wrong with having your own children then went on to talk about the increase in population.Maybe he was joking.

No. You are talking about all sorts of political and cultural factors getting in the way of logic.

The population problem isn't simply a matter of physical space as Duncan Idaho thinks or providing food as you think. Both are some of the issues.

I have to apologize as there isn't a contemporary, good, and popular book on the subject.

I do encourage everyone to read up on the issue.

Yes.

There are ways of seeing the world and behaving that are age appropriate.