Sprinting vs. Jogging/Running

Cellar Yeti

I need to do more cardio, and I like doing it outside. I ride my mountain bike when I can but it's not always feasible.

I have jogged/ran before for extended periods of time and felt great on it, but wasn't sure if I was losing mass or hindering gains in the gym. But every time I sprint, flat or hill, even for short 5-8 minute sessions I feel like I am going to die. My jaw cramps up, I get headaches, my lungs burn, it CAN'T be natural to feel like that.

Does running really have that big of a negative impact on the human body and muscle growth if done OFF concrete 1-3 times a week for 30-45 minutes?

If you're not used to sprinting I would not go into it full force at the beginning. I am not a regular sprinter, and one time I was running sprints in a cardio circuit training class. Well my effort was all out, and for an entire week I had some serious leg issues with my hamstrings, and right behind the knees. I like to sprint but I keep the distances extremely short because I don't want sprinting to take me away from all my other workouts. I find sprinting at the end of my run to be a good way to finish my runs feeling that I gave it my all, and have nothing left in the tank.

• 3 weeks later...

there is no reason to sprint unless you are training for a specific running event. even then you build up slowly. i mean its good to have variety and shock your body, but most people start off way to fast.

example.

do a 30 minute run, and after the 30 minutes do 4 sets of 30 second sprints w/ 1 minute recoveries in between. usually you would not do sprints more than once a week.

the following week you would do the same thing but this time 6 sets, you continue this until you get to about 18-24 sets, once you get there, you start lowering the sets, and increasing the sprint distance. so eventually after months of this, you can sprint a 5k.

a second way to add sprints is to do them during your run, for example, do a 40 minute run, every 8 minutes you sprint for 30 seconds, then fall back into your normal pace, 8 minutes later, another sprint, every few weeks you decrease the time between sprints by 1 minute till you are eventually sprinting 30 seconds every 4 or 5 minutes. i wouoldnt recommend doing this more than once a week either.

i could answer better if i knew a little better your goals and your fitness level right now.

Lots of teens that run marathons in their 20's die of heart attacks.

LOTS is a gross exaggeration. for example a recent study i read looked at more than 4.5 million marathoners over the last 30 years. Of these, 41 runners died of heart attacks, a rate of one in every 110,476 marathoners.

people do die during running, although its very rare, but heart attacks are not always the culprit, nutrition and hydration play a huge part as well as factors like weather.

can you post an article where it says MOST 20 year olds have heart attacks who run marathons, to back up your statements, thats just trying to scare people. just sayin.

and why are you posting pictures of a marathon runner and a sprinter? would you like me to post you pictures of endurance runners who are not super tiny and full of muscles? because it is easy.

i'm not here to argue, so i'l probably be blocking you because you are not here to help and you are just throwing around crazy made up statements.

Ha, if that's your opinion of marathoners, I can only imagine what your opinion is of people who run ultra-marathons or do Ironman races.

after my 2 ironman events this year, i'm doing a 100 mile race next year, i must have a very small penis and zero self esteem. =)

better to train and have fun than be a d-bag arguing with people online, thats all i see when i look at that persons old posts.....and....blocking him/her....now.