what to eat before and after a workout?

i'm gonna start lifting weights tomorrow(and doing cardio too, possibly).. Before it i was planning on drinking a fruit smoothie with a hemp protein powder in it(i'm going after breakfast.. for breakfast i'm gonna eat cinnamon berry oatmeal(which has flaxseed in it).. After the workout I would eat lunch and for lunch I am having a mixed green salad with beans in it and a peanut butter sauce/dressing type thing on top. Does that sound good to eat before and after a workout?

I'm not an expert but I think drinking a protein shake right after your workout is a better idea. Then an hour later have lunch.

For breakfast I eat oatmeal and have a protein shake. I hit the gym about 3 hours after I eat and take BCAA's 20 minutes before I workout. I know some people will drink a protein shake right before they workout but so far my method is working for me.

Hopefully others will chime in.

I have been eating some kind of beans with whole wheat bread/pasta, brown rice, or potatoes before I go to the gym then have soy milk after, maybe some peanut butter or protein powder and a banana if I have it, sometimes a soy protein bar instead, then eat a normal meal an hour or so later.

If I were going earlier it would probably be oats with fruit and nuts, then soy milk after. Really I just try to eat something that will give me energy before and some protein after. It probably isn't that important really, as long as you are eating enough calories throughout the day and getting in plenty of complex carbohydrates to keep your energy up.

• 1 month later...

Pre-workout, i have a fruit (guava - has good vitamin C or banana - potassium) + health mix powder (roasted & powdered grains+legumes mixture) in warm water plus some dry fruits like raisins.

Post workout, its whey protein for me ( i don't get any vegan powder here ). An hour later, its oats + huge amount of legume .

This works terrific for me !! Its like after the solid meal, i can run a marathon