Hi, I need some help.

kellyc

Hi Everyone.

I need some quick and easy protein sources. I have not eaten meat for 30 years, I was a crapeterian. In the lst 5 months I have lost 85 lbs and have 115 to go. My protein was maybe 15g a day when I started working out and I have a trainer that I see 2 times a week and she wants my protein up. I have added in protein bars and fat free greek yogurt and get to about 72g. I would love to eliminate all dairy (cheese, organic sour cream with no gelatin, and cheese, are the only animal products I consume) and be Vegan and healthy. All help is welcomed and extremely appreciated.

Thank you,

Kelly

Welcome Kelly!

Great to have you here. Read this article here, which focuses on protein foods:

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=27048

Here are some of them:

Tofu

Tempeh

Seitan

Nuts

Nut butters (almond butter, etc.)

Lentils

Avocado

Beans

Brown rice

Quinoa

Spinach

Broccoli

Kale

Yams

Potatoes

Soups

Stews

Chili

Sushi (avocado, cucumber, carrot –veggie rolls)

Sandwiches

Burritos

Protein bars

Protein drinks

Heavy foods by weight such as root vegetables and dense fruits

Ethnic food platters such as Middle Eastern, Thai, Indian and Ethiopian foods

Some additional ones:

High-Protein Foods

Soybeans

Chick peas

Kidney beans

Adzuki beans

Other beans

Tofu

Lentils

Almonds

Other nuts and seeds

Kamut and spelt

Other whole grains

And this article about Winning at Weight Loss:

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=27133

All the best and welcome aboard!

-Robert

if you need help getting the motivation to go vegan, you should watch Forks over Knifes, its availble on netflix or the internet. It will educate further on animal based foods and there effects on your health. I lost 115lbs in the past 8 months and I think you can accomplish anything you put your mind too.

Welcome to the forum Kelly. Started a vegan diet myself last Fall and that was my first thought too coming from a bodybuilding background, but it is pretty amazing to discover that there is just as much protein in many veggies, ounce for ounce, as there are in beef and other meats. My protein intake has basically been cut in half since I made the switch, but to my surprise I now have more energy am able to do more in the gym and in cardio workouts than I ever did when I was taking in over 200 grams a day in meat based protein. I am leaner and I have had many people tell me I look more muscular than I ever have.

First off, don't get too wrapped up in the whole "protein" intake business. Realize there is a boat load of marketing by supplement companies that want everyone to think they are not getting enough so they can sell you stuff - mostly milk based protein powders. It is really not true.

That being said, whole food sources of protein for me: Lentils, beans, quinoa, brown rice, spinich [there is truth to the whole Popeye thing - seriously!] and nuts/seeds [raw - avoid the salt!]. Just noticed Robert's list there too. It is not as hard as it might seem.

Hope that helps.

Hi Kelly

Welcome. I became a vegan a little over 3 years ago and shortly after that I discovered Rip Esselstyn, Robert Cheeke and a lot of other people devoted to veganism fitness and health. I have a bodybuilding background and I initially was worried about the whole protein thing but quickly did research and I think going vegan was the best decision I ever made.