North America's Most Vegie-Friendly Cities (Oregon Rules!)

robert

Check it out:

http://www.goveg.com/f-vegcities.asp

PETA/GoVeg.com traveled around the US and Canada to find the most vegetarian/vegan-friendly cities in North America.

#1 (Large City) = Portland, Oregon

#2 (Small City) = Eugene, Oregon

I was just in Eugene last night and I go to Portland frequently. I'm in Corvallis, between Portand and Eugene.

Check out the top 10 lists, you'll get some great info and great ideas of where to go when you travel! The link will give you all the info about these places, or just visit www.goveg.com

America's Best Vegetarian-Friendly Large Cities

1. Portland, Oregon

2. Seattle, Washington

3. San Francisco, California

4. New York, New York

5. Atlanta, Georgia

6. Washington, D.C.

7. Minneapolis, Minnesota

8. Austin, Texas

9. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

10. Chicago, Illinois

America's Best Vegetarian-Friendly Small Cities

1. Asheville, North Carolina

2. Eugene, Oregon

3. Salt Lake City, Utah

4. Norfolk, Virginia

5. Santa Monica, California

6. Santa Cruz, California

7. Boulder, Colorado

8. Madison, Wisconsin

9. Athens, Georgia

10. Ann Arbor, Michigan

Canada's Best Vegetarian-Friendly Cities

1. Vancouver, British Columbia

2. Victoria, British Columbia

3. Toronto, Ontario

4. Montréal, Québec

5. Calgary, Alberta

6. Ottawa, Ontario

www.goveg.com

• 2 weeks later...

WOOHOO! I'M #6 ON THE SMALL CITIES! Frankly, I'm surprised it's so far down the list, but I guess beggars can't be choosers...

If anyone's in the area, I can show you around the #6 VEGETARIAN FRIENDLY CITY IN THE COUNTRY...

Did I say it was #6? On the small cities list?

Oh, and sorry, Robert, Santa Cruz rules....

Maybe I'll come kick it with you down there Matt. I'm thinking about making some changes in job, life, etc. and I think TRAVEL will get back into it! I visited 31 countries and 31 states, and have barely gone anywhere the last 2 years

I might come to your neck of the woods sometime

#6 rules!

I go to #1 Portland and #2 Eugene pretty much every week or every other week.....so I guess I kinda rule too

I've been to Oregon a few times and even did a 7-day bike ride called "Cycle Oregon" and got to see a lot of the state. Oregon definitely rules and is very beautiful. If you are ever in the area, let me know and I'll show you around!

Well, in my quest to further explore #6 on the small city list, I've found a new restaurant that has an all-vegan, mostly-raw menu. Plates go for $10-15 on average (so a little more pricey), but the most outstanding food I've eaten out in years. They don't have a web site, but here's a review I found of the restaurant in question called La Vie (and I agree with it completely):

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/cruz/10.12.05/raw-0541.html

Any strictly vegan restaurants out there that others want to share? Maybe it should be its own thread now that I think about it.

• 2 weeks later...
WOOHOO! I'M #6 ON THE SMALL CITIES! Frankly, I'm surprised it's so far down the list, but I guess beggars can't be choosers...

If anyone's in the area, I can show you around the #6 VEGETARIAN FRIENDLY CITY IN THE COUNTRY...

Did I say it was #6? On the small cities list?

Oh, and sorry, Robert, Santa Cruz rules....

I used to visit Santa Cruz a lot, in the early part of the 20th Century my great grandpa was the lighthouse attendant there. I obviously didn't visit him in the early 20th Century, but it was cool going there and knowing that my ancestor was the man in charge.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Fargo once, just at the bus station on my way back from Alabama. I know it gets pretty cold there in the winter.

Yeah, there are certain hot spots for veganism in the US, typically along the west coast and along the east coast. There are some good spots across the middle of the country too, but nearly as vegan friendly as the coasts.

Yep, the winters are harsh around here but since I love cold weather it's not a problem for me. I moved here from Atlanta to get away from the heat and humidity of the south.*LOL*

I was visiting a friend in Blacksburg, VA once and she took me to a restaurant called Gilley's. It's a vegetarian place with lots of vegan options there. It was fabulous! I wish there was one up here. But it's not a chain. It's a family owned place I think. And back in Carrollton, GA there was a place called The Corner Cafe that sold a lot of vegetarian and vegan food. My ex husband and I used to go there some. It wasa good place.

FLAGSTAFF, ARIZONA is vegan/vegetarian friendly.

my gf and I are moving to BOULDER, COLORADO in july 2007.

about 11 vegetarian/vegan co-ops/grocery/organic/restaurants are there.

its also the most bicycle friendly city in the USA.

I was born in Philadelphia and didn't even know there was a friendliness towards vegetarianism/veganism....you'd think being the city known for it's steaks and all...

There is tons of veggie-friendly places to eat in the Philadelphia area! It's part of why living here is so great!

Boulder is the most bike friendly eh? Interesting. I wonder how portland fits on that list. I'm glad you guys are doing well Toph.

yeh, apparently its the most cycle friendly and then I think Portland comes in next or close to second.

"The March issue of BICYLING magazine named the city of Boulder as the best city for cycling. This recognition follows Boulder ’s designation as a gold medal winner of the 2004-2005 Bicycle Friendly Community award from the League of American Cyclists.

BICYCLING magazine awarded Boulder top honors for a city with a population of 75,000- 200,000. According to BICYCLING, Boulder is a bike friendly town for many reasons including the following:

Boulder’s 151 miles of bike paths and 192 miles of bike lane within the city’s 28 square miles;

A greenbelt surrounding Boulder offering 120 miles of trails;

95 percent of Boulder ’s arterial streets are bike-friendly;

Boulder ’s vibrant bike-racing scene is home to some of the top U.S. professional cyclists; and

A year-round Thursday night cruiser ride and the Boulder Seniors on Bikes club.

“We’re honored to receive this highly coveted recognition from BICYCLING magazine,” said Marni Ratzel, the city’s bike and pedestrian planner. “It’s a tribute to the entire Boulder community and its commitment to preserve our quality of life and build a balanced transportation system.”

For more information or maps on Boulder ’s bike facilities, go to www.goboulder.net.

"

we're doing quite well, thanks.

I was born in Philadelphia and didn't even know there was a friendliness towards vegetarianism/veganism....you'd think being the city known for it's steaks and all...

There is tons of veggie-friendly places to eat in the Philadelphia area! It's part of why living here is so great!

this is true. even some 711's in philly have entire vegan sections.

for those of you don't know what 711's are, they are a 24-7 gas station/convenient store.