friend wants a dog

endcruelty

i need some help ...... couple friends of mine want to get a dog, but they want a pure bred i think from a breeder..... i recommended from a pound or something so at least 1 dog will get a 2nd chance at life.... but i think hes really set on this breeder thing...... do you guys know anything i can say to let him know how much better it is to rescue an animal instead of supporting a business that the breeders are in??? any help would be awsome

Well, ask him to at least visit the humane society and other shelters in the city before he goes for the "pure bred." Many shelters often have puppies, some even pure bred.

In short, if he insists on a pure bred, there are rescue organizations dedicated to a certain breed so he can still rescue an animal and have his precious "pure bred."

If he wants a "shiny new puppy" he can see if the shelters have any for adoption. Sometimes they do.

I would personally drive him to the shelters, so let me know if he is game (dead serious about that offer). If not, then maybe you can offer to take him.

Cuddly-tarians and pure-bred-tarians suck.

Shelter dogs are usually pretty happy to see people unless they have been abused, and in my experience they are cheaper than pure breeds. Besides who wants to help someone that actually makes a living off of getting dogs to mate and then selling their babies? Get a real job.

now this is actually bugging me...... like im watchin the oilers play the sharks in triple ot and i keep thinking about them buying this dog ...... im gonna see them friday night so maybe i'll do some convincing, and if not, i'll just start to whine and cry ..... plus they are married so if i can get to the wife maybe she can convince him lol... im gonna send them links to the humane society and let them see all the doggies that need our help ....... and you know i'd love to go there and all, but i know myself too well, im gonna get all depressed and sad and i wont be able to handle it..... im sensative lol ..... and i'd probably end up taking 1 home then my mom would kill me

In short, if he insists on a pure bred, there are rescue organizations dedicated to a certain breed so he can still rescue an animal and have his precious "pure bred."

Yeah, there are rescue org for almost every breed. It might take longer to get a dog through a rescue org, but maybe you can convince him that it's worth it. Also, tell him that there are sometimes purebreds at the pound (a friend of mine got a pb pug from one) and tell him to check it out. Maybe once he goes and sees all the dogs he'll understand why buying one is stupid.

As CG suggested, see if you can get them to at least visit a shelter. A friend just got a purebred black lab puppy from a shelter. She visited the shelter a bunch of times, got in good with someone there, and then they called her when the type of puppy she was looking for came in.

Then again, sometimes when you go to a shelter, your dog chooses you, instead of the other way around. Best not to tell them that though.

What about letting him know that some pure breeds are high strung ? Mixed breeds have a better temperament in alot of cases and sometimes they live longer.

Off hand I have heard that pure bred poodles may be smart, but they are very high strung. My Max is an eskipoo - poodle, malamut and eskimo mix and he is smart, cute and has always gotten along with people (kids included). Since your friend is married, I assume kids will be showing up at some point ? Doesn't he want to keep his adopted son or daughter after the kids come along ?

Also, purebred dogs often have health problems from inbreeding, like hip displasia (labs and German shepards are prone to this).

Why not plan a trip to the shelter with your friend? Even if he doesn't adopt one right on the spot, you could maybe take them for a walk or take them out to play.

My local shelter will keep a list of people looking for specific breeds, and often will have purebreds. There's a fancy shmancy cat in there now (the kind that cost $900! I can't imagine spending that much to adopt an animal. They are well worth it, mind you, but you can find a sweet cat on the streets, or in the shelter, for much less, and use that extra money to care for them for their entire lives.)

i have an eskimo 2 .... this is my big lazy fat ass sleeping on my bed .... his farts stink 2 lol

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7336/img2237b1kk.jpg

He's so cute and I'm sure he makes up for his farts. And Bear is so cute -- my heart goes out to him, as he looks a little lost. I'm glad the website says adoption is pending for him.

Will give Max your message CG. (closest I could find to a howl.)

Good point Kathryn as hip displesia is no laughing matter for the dog or his roommates. Plus inbreeding leads to temperament problems as well. Besides, some if not most of the doggies in shelters were once sold by a breeder and are getting a second chance by whoever adopts them.

i dunno why these animals need 2nd chances in the 1st place they should be adopted by a loving caring owner that is committed to taking care of the animal..... granted if someone dies in the family or whatnot but some people just get fed up cuz the puppy isnt small and "cute" anymore..... my guy is 11 right now i could never imagine giving him away hes part of the family.... i feel so bad for all these animals....... thats it.................... im gonna adopt 1 .... 2 much talking i gatta do something now

i dunno why these animals need 2nd chances in the 1st place they should be adopted by a loving caring owner that is committed to taking care of the animal..... granted if someone dies in the family or whatnot but some people just get fed up cuz the puppy isnt small and "cute" anymore..... my guy is 11 right now i could never imagine giving him away hes part of the family.... i feel so bad for all these animals....... thats it.................... im gonna adopt 1 .... 2 much talking i gatta do something now

Good for you endcruelty ! I wish I could too. I also don't understand how some people can just leave their adopted kids/ friends at a shelter. But I'm glad that at least they didn't open up the door and throw them out into the street (hopefully).

Max is 14 and I couldn't imagine giving him away either. I can't go to shelters either as I'd want to take them all home and adopt them. Adopting even 1 other isn't an option right now, but I'm glad it is for you endcruelty. You'll make another being very happy.

Also, purebred dogs often have health problems from inbreeding, like hip displasia (labs and German shepards are prone to this).

unfortunately mixed-breeds aren't immune to problems either.

my black lab cross had hip dyspalasia which cost a pretty penny

I find that the health argument doesn't work so well for me because people just say "well look at yours"

For me, choosing a pet isn't about the money , it's about gaining a family member. I expect to have vet bills and to take care of my friend regardless of the severity of illness or injury.

I know what you mean though, I find purebred dogs to be generally high-strung. I would never buy from a breeder. We have always gone to the Humane Society for our dogs & cats

Here's my loving dog Booyah, who we got from the Humane Society just a few months ago. My sweetie is 6 1/2 years old & has been in & out of the pound. How anyone could drop him off & leave him is beyond me! He's exuberant & energetic, & yes, he gets a nice long walk every day!

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL728/2745263/7443831/128021705.jpg

JW said:

For me, choosing a pet isn't about the money , it's about gaining a family member. I expect to have vet bills and to take care of my friend regardless of the severity of illness or injury.

Well said!

Well, from my experience volunteering at my local shelter, I find most of the reasons people give up their pets to be pretty lame. Top two seem to be "we're moving" (well, find a frickin' place that wil take ALL your family members! ) or "we're having a baby" (and?). I don't know which is worse. The second is almost like the animal was taking the place of the children they hadn't had yet, and once a 'real kid' was coming along, they didn't 'need' the pet anymore. Or they feel that animals aren't safe around children. Evidently, they haven't heard the latest reseach showing that children exposed to animals in their first two years are less apt to develop asthma and serious allergies.

The only valid reason, I think is when the person dies and has no relatives or friends, but someone with relatives and/or friends should be able to rely on those people to find good and loving 'forever homes' for their pets rather than dumping them off at the shelter.

PEOPLE SUCK!!