I bet you thought good ol' fruit juice was vegan, but...

Who would have that that companies making and selling fruit juices (like Ocean Spray and Welch's) would secretly be torturing animals to sell fruit juice? !!!

"Welch's Promises to End Deadly Animal Tests!

Last year, PETA discovered that Welch’s was funding outrageous experiments on animals in order to make health claims about its products. It’s hard to imagine why a company that makes grape juice would be testing on animals, but what we learned was shocking. In one experiment, dogs’ chests were cut open to induce massive blood clotting, and a tube was then attached to their stomachs in order to pump them full of grape juice. Afterward, the experimenter collected blood samples by “fresh puncture” of the dogs’ hearts. In another experiment, hundreds of rats were poisoned with toxic chemicals, fed grape juice, and cut up to observe the effect that it had on their bodies. Those are just a few of the tests that were conducted on innocent dogs, monkeys, rabbits, and rats.

Welch’s New Scientific Research Policy:

“As scientific research capability is advancing rapidly, we believe it is appropriate to adopt the following formal policy on Welch’s scientific research … Welch’s will not fund animal research.”

We were horrified to find out that a seemingly wholesome, family-friendly company like Welch’s would fund this kind of cruelty. We immediately wrote to Welch’s urging the company to abandon all tests using animals, but after receiving no positive response from the company, we had no choice but to consider launching a full-fledged boycott campaign. On May 5, PETA sent another letter to Welch’s giving the company one more chance to discontinue all support for animal tests. On May 16, PETA received a statement from the company saying that it would no longer fund or conduct any animal tests.

This is a huge victory for animals who are being tortured and killed in laboratories, and it exposes how ridiculous the vivisection industry is as a whole—torturing dogs and monkeys to promote fruit juice! With this announcement, Welch’s joins other compassionate juice companies like Sunny D, Old Orchard, SunSweet, and many others that have signed PETA’s statement of assurance affirming that they do not fund or conduct any experiments on animals.

Even though more sophisticated, accurate, and humane alternatives exist, some companies have refused to abandon their funding of cruel animal tests. Among these vivisecting juice manufacturers are Ocean Spray, POM Wonderful, and Tahitian Noni. PETA has urged these manufacturers to follow in the footsteps of Welch’s and put an end to their outrageous and ghastly experiments that kill animals all to increase fruit juice sales!

Please contact these companies and let them know that you won’t support them until they take a stand and stop funding animal experiments. Visit this page to see how:

http://www.caringconsumer.com/products_welchs.asp

Well, I'm glad I stopped drinking POM a while ago (and Welches, etc. long before that).

I guess I assumed any health benefits listed on the labels of juices, etc., were based on population studies (ie: populations who eat large amounts of grapes have lower instances of X, Y Z).

This is most disturbing.

CG, would it be possible to set up a sticky with names of companies which conduct or support animal testing?

It would be awesome to have a quick reference on our site.

THIS IS A PARTIAL LIST OF PRODUCTS THAT "ARE" TESTED ON ANIMALS:

Clorox (ArmorAll, Brita, Formula 409, Fresh Step, Glad, Liquid Plumber,

Pine-Sol, Soft Scrub, S.O.S., Tilex)

Colgate-Palmolive Co. (Ajax, Fab, Hills Pet Nutrition, Mennen, Palmolive,

SoftSoap, Speed Stick)

Coty (Adidas, Davidoff, Glow, The Healing Garden, JOOP!, Jovan, Kenneth

Cole, Lancaster, Marc Jacob, Rimmel, Stetson)

Cover Girl (Procter & Gamble)

Del Laboratories (CornSilk, LaCross, Naturistics, New York Color,

Sally Hansen)

Dial Corporation (Purex, Renuzit)

Gillette Co. (Braun, Duracell)

Helene Curtis Industries (Finesse, Salon Selectives, Thermasilk, Unilever)

Johnson & Johnson (Aveeno, Clean & Clear, Neutrogena, ROC)

Kimberly-Clark Corp. (Cottonelle, Huggies, Kleenex, Kotex, Pull-Ups, Scott

Paper)

Lever Bros. (Unilever)

Cacharel, Giorgio Armani, Helena

Rubinstein, Lancme, Matrix Essentials, Maybelline, Ralph Lauren

Fragrances, Redken, Soft Sheen, Vichy)

Max Factor (Procter & Gamble)

Mead

Melaleuca

Mennen Co. (Colgate-Palmolive)

Nalgene Bottles

Neoteric Cosmetics

New Dana Perfumes

Noxell (Procter & Gamble)

Olay Co./Oil of Olay (Procter & Gamble)

Oral-B (Gillette Company)

Pantene (Procter & Gamble)

Pfizer (BenGay, Desitin, Listerine, Lubriderm, Plax, Visine)

Physique (Procter & Gamble)

Playtex Products (Baby Magic, Banana Boat, Ogilvie)

Procter & Gamble Co. (Clairol, Cover Girl, Crest, Giorgio, Iams, Max Factor,

Physique, Tide)

Reckitt Benckiser (Easy Off, Lysol, Mop & Glo, Old English, Resolve, Spray

Wash, Woolite, Veet)

Richardson-Vicks (Procter & Gamble)

Sally Hansen (Del Laboratories)

Schering-Plough (Bain de Soleil, Coppertone, Dr. Scholls)

S.C. Johnson (Drano, Edge, Fantastik, Glade, OFF!, Oust, Pledge, Scrubbing

Bubbles, Shout, Skintimate, Windex, Ziploc)

SoftSoap Enterprises (Colgate-Palmolive)

Suave (Unilever)

3M (Post-It, Scotch)

Unilever (Axe, Calvin Klein, Dove, Helene Curtis, Lever Bros., Suave)

Jay: I had no idea. Thanks for educating us. I always fruit juice got its colouring from - well - fruit. I guess anytime you see labels like "artificial" or even "natural" colouring and flavouring, it is questionable whether it is vegan.

JW: Great idea. I will def pursue it.

BIG: Thanks for the list.

PS. This just goes to show you how ridiculous the vivisection industry as a whole really is! Torturing monkeys to sell fruit juice! WTF? Here is an idea - if you want to test fruit juice, test it on, um, well, humans for f**'s sake!

idiots. is there no limit on with what we think we can do to animals? We have utterly and positively reduced them to literally disposable commodities - countless lives sacrificed under the ghasliest of circumstances to make a fruit juice claim! Our species greed truly knows no bounds.