saving up for home gym

im gonna be getting a home gym like jonathan's once i save up and have some money (2-3 months).

I'm gonna focus on basically powerlifting/strength and bulking my body up. so lots and lots of eating.

i am very skinny now since i cycle everywhere and cant afford to eat but i just got a job working up on the snowboard mountain here, and decided i'd rather work out at home with my own squat cage and barbells and whatnot. so when i get my paycheck, its gonna go towards first months rent and deposit, then home gym equipment

i also figured i want to focus more on compound exercises instead of individually focusing on muscle groups. so i want to do bench, squats, deadlifts.

I love, love, love mine! One of the best purchases I have ever made:

http://www.powertecfitness.com/images/powerrack.jpg

I like that. I wish I would have purchased something like that.

I had to be careful of what I typed.

Everything I typed about a woman's powerrack made me sound like a perv.

I bought everything shown except for the olympic weight set. The rack, tower, dip bars, and bench was about $1300 (USD) shipped to my door.....but not assembled...ugh.

I purchased an olympic weight set used (barely) from a gentleman who was moving to Australia and wasn't going to tote it with him for $300 (I think) which included two bars and several plates a few dumbells as well as a calf machine.

I already had several sets of standard bars and plates as well as several dumbells. I gave away my other benches when I bought this one.

If you get one be sure to measure the area you want to put it in, it is rather large.

Great that you are going down the home gym route Topher

My gym has expanded somewhat since last you saw it - I now have a whole manner of strongman equipment too, as well as extra plates.

One of the most important things to think about when getting a home gym is who you are going to train with. A good training partner will make all the difference to your progress

Best of luck with it all man - 200lbs by this time next year

Jonathan

Topher...the Bowflex rocks...I've always wanted one and always loved using it at my buddies house. He's outgrown his(benches 550 without a shirt and squats 890) now but it got him stronger than I ever got. He said he'd still use it almost exclusively if they made one that could take more bows!!! Alot of big lifters think its useless but I think they're wrong. Unless your squating 450 for multiple sets of 8+ I think its good for pretty much anyone. Plus its easy to move around. And for the upper body its harder than the weight shows. When I could bench 370 I had alot of trouble with 350...very shaky like going up 10lbs from normal for dumbell presses...not shaky in the bad way but in the good stabilizer muscle training way. The squats were a little easy for me but I was squating 600lbs when I tried it...hard enough for a workout but too easy for doing sets of less than 5(which is what I trained to do) When I get the cash and know where I'm gonna live for more than a couple years thats gonna be my first purchase for sure.

They are cheaper but for stabllity its a close second and its a really space saver...especially if you want a ton of dumbells which I would have needed with my own home gym. My biggest bench maxes came when I stopped benching(other than the two days before maxing to get reaclimated to the bar) and used only dumbells. My buddy first got his max up to 400 purely training at home on his bowflex then trying the bar at practice on day(he was in 10th grade the first time he did it...would be much stronger but got in a bad car accident that held him back for a while)

You'll probably put on a lot of weight by not having to cycle to a gym though and wasting calories too, Topher.

I have a body by Jake bench and I think it's really good, I can do pretty much every muscle group on it, but I have a gym membership anyway.

Great that you are going down the home gym route Topher

My gym has expanded somewhat since last you saw it - I now have a whole manner of strongman equipment too, as well as extra plates.

One of the most important things to think about when getting a home gym is who you are going to train with. A good training partner will make all the difference to your progress

Best of luck with it all man - 200lbs by this time next year

Jonathan

thanks man! yeh my goal once i get my gym is to get my weight to 200lbs.

i think i am like down to 145lbs right now. eek!

I am gonna train with my bestfriend who wants to start working out. i told him he could workout at my place for free if he spots me and pushes me and stuff.

thats rad you expanded your home gym. please take a picture of it and post for me , would ya?

Topher...the Bowflex rocks...I've always wanted one and always loved using it at my buddies house.

thanks but the bowflex is crap. i've maxed the whole thing easily on every exercise it offers.

i want free weights.

You'll probably put on a lot of weight by not having to cycle to a gym though and wasting calories too, Topher.

I have a body by Jake bench and I think it's really good, I can do pretty much every muscle group on it, but I have a gym membership anyway.

yeh thats what im thinking. i wont have to waste calories cycling to a gym. plus i can workout at my own convenience, and not worry about if the gym is open or not. i can also listen to my own music to pump me up. i can also workout in just shorts and shoes, cause i easily overheat. plus i can have whoever i want come on over and workout with me and not worry about membership fees or guest passes or whatever.

Did you max it out with the extra bows??? When I was benching 370(shirtless of course) I couldn't max out my friends decked out boxflex...squats were a different story though

Did you max it out with the extra bows??? When I was benching 370(shirtless of course) I couldn't max out my friends decked out boxflex...squats were a different story though

yeh pretty sure it had the extra bows.