Dang you Potter!!!

loveliberate

I never heard of them pick pocketting. What happens here is, they choose a place to be home for a while, a nice field, and then they proceed to just use it as a toilet and place to dump all their trash. Then when they are done, they just move on and don't clear up. The gypsies who don't do that, you wouldn't even know they're there, I have no prob with that.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard,

That's what I thought the word meant. It's not cool that you use an ethnic/cultural slur like that - Roma (aka "gypsies") have long faced prejudice & oppression. Here's an article with some good info on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma_people

Better choices of insults include "Colonialist", "Settler", "CEO", etc - these types of folks definitely mess things up for people whereever they go! Add Dirty Brit in front of any of those you like. I'm sure there are some nice British people but as a group they've sure done some nasty things...

JW,

I've heard that too. I've also heard similar things said about Italians... No doubt some Roma do that sort of thing but thieves come from all cultures and backgrounds.

I don't agree with your PC stance on use of language, but also, to call someone a settler is just as supposedly incorrect as it is to call someone a gypsie, given that not all settlers are going to leave trash everywhere, some gypsies / settlers will be nice people who don't screw things up. By me calling someone a filthy gypsie, I'm not saying that all gypsies are the type that piss me off.

Heya Richard,

I've found that the term "PC" (politically correct / political correctness) is used as a defensive attempt to put down a person and/or their views while trying to minimize the value of what they are saying. It's similar to calling someone a "feminazi" for standing up for women's rights or a "veganazi" for trying to get folks to think about why they are buying & eating animal corpses, etc...

I used the term "settler" it to illustrate a point & unlike the words "gypo" or "gypsies", it's an attack on a behaviour not an ethnic background.

If you have a problem with people trashing land and are genuinely not prejudiced against Roma people, why use that ethnic slur instead of something that better describes the behaviour that offends you?

Heya Richard,

I've found that the term "PC" (politically correct / political correctness) is used as a defensive attempt to put down a person and/or their views while trying to minimize the value of what they are saying. It's similar to calling someone a "feminazi" for standing up for women's rights or a "veganazi" for trying to get folks to think about what they are buying, eating, etc...

I used the term "settler" it to illustrate a point & unlike the words "gypo"

or "gypsies", it's an attack on a behaviour not an ethnic background.

If you have a problem with people trashing land and are genuinely not prejudiced against Roma people, why use that ethnic slur instead of something that better describes the behaviour that offends you?

You've taken what I said in my last post the wrong way; I disagree with your politically correct stance, I wasn't saying that I think PC stances are all wrong, but I don't agree with your particular one. I think being PC is a good thing, and I would say I am politically correct in my true feelings towards people, but I will say whatever as a joke. What I disagree with you about is use of language, I think things are fine so long as people's true feelings are not prejudiced, while on the other hand, you think it's not cool to say politically incorrect things as a joke. The reason I would say politically incorrect things is that I think they're funny, not because I am hoping that gypsies are reading this so that they get pissed off. I get angry with people who really are racist/sexist/ageist/homophobic etc. But it doesn't bother me if people aren't racist/sexist/ageist/homphobic, but say politically incorrect things as a joke.

EDIT: ahr, i've had the same discussion with you I think before, but certainly other people on this forum. Do we want it to go on for 20 pages or just forget about it, it is tough because people on this forum are often so reasonable that they want to discuss things and hear the person's point of view which is good, but it gets to the point sometimes where it will just go on, and I don't think an agreement will be made. I doubt I will convince you to see things my way and vice versa.

Richard,

Thanks for explaining more about your perspective and for discussing this further. I'm open to hearing your /others perspective & will always consider it. If you dont want to respond - ok.

I dont see the humor in what you wrote or in using ethnic slurs, sexist words, etc. Even if I did and/or I felt like it was ok or whatever, I'd still prefer not to see it here as it sends a mixed message at best - particularly when you consider that we are on a public forum where people reading this dont generally know the people writing things, their intent, etc...

Honestly Richard, your responses do give me the impression that you have some prejudice against Roma folks... If you'd written "jews/kykes" or "blacks/niggers" in place of "gypo's"/"gypsies" I suspect that there would be more of a response from other folks. Most folks these days have been trained to recognize prejudice against those groups & will often confront or speak out against it - yet will generally not recognize or confront the same things when it's against many other ethnic groups, women, non-hetero's, etc...

As for being politically correct, I dont like/identify with that concept at all & would never describe myself as "pc"...

Richard,

Thanks for explaining more about your perspective and for discussing this further. I'm open to hearing your /others perspective & will always consider it. If you dont want to respond - ok.

I dont see the humor in what you wrote or in using ethnic slurs, sexist words, etc. Even if I did and/or I felt like it was ok or whatever, I'd still prefer not to see it here as it sends a mixed message at best - particularly when you consider that we are on a public forum where people reading this dont generally know the people writing things, their intent, etc...

Honestly Richard, your responses do give me the impression that you have some prejudice against Roma folks... If you'd written "jews/kykes" or "blacks/niggers" in place of "gypo's"/"gypsies" I suspect that there would have been more of a response from other folks. Most folks these days have been trained to recognize & confront prejudice against those groups - yet will generally not recognize or confront slurs against many other ethnic groupo, women, non-hetero's, etc...

As for being politically correct, I dont like/identify with that concept at all & would never describe myself as "pc"...

Yahr I don't think this'll get anywhere. I really don't have an issue with travelling people, I haven't even met any of them. I understand some people will be offended by what I say, and probably think I am wrong for doing it. On other forums I say much stronger things, where there is no real rules on language / content. I restrain myself far more here due to what Robert has said in the past, but in everyday life and elsewhere I would say more along the lines of the things you outlined. So I'm not singling out travelling people, I just happened to say gypo now because I thought it was funny. I understand some people won't understand why I think it's funny to say things like this, and people who don't know me might even think I'm serious. But I'd say in response to that, that it's a bit quick of them to decide what I am like based on a couple of posts. Once someone knows me better, they'd realise I have no irrational prejudice against groups of people, and that I judge people individually.

• 1 month later...
I've worked long and hard to move into the highly coveted position of having posted more than all but 21 other forum members and now you, who have been on the forum a whole month less than I have will likely overtake me within the next day or two... What is this world coming to?!?!

Haha!

Don't worry Michael...you'll be in the 4 digits in no time so no need for bitterness to Richard and I...none the less you'll still have half the posts as we do