lifestyle change

I just kind of realized, what would make me happier? Being stoned all the time, or having a great body? And it just seemed simple.

So I'm gonna quit smoking weed, and use the extra money for a gym membership and the extra time working out.

First I'll start counting my calories and running every day to ultimately lose 25 pounds. After that I'll get a gym membership and go there 3 days a week. I'll start eating extra protein every day as well. I'll try for 60g of soy protein a day (I only burn about 2000 a day anyway). And I'll make sure to get enough sleep every night and eat healthy every day.

Hopefully in a couple years I'll have a flat stomach, a six pack, and some muscle. I'm sure I'll have more self esteem too (currently an issue for me). And it'll make my girlfriend happier.

How does all this sound? Any suggestions?

Hmm... and more specifically. What's the best way to get all my protein (as a vegan)? And how much should I be getting every day?

I'm 5'7" and I burn about 2000 calories a day. And I weigh about 165 currently. I'll be taking in 1500 calories over 5-7 meals a day. And I've been told it's better to spread your protein intake over the whole day, instead of getting it in one smoothie or something like that. Also, I'm a little concerned if I started getting all my protein from soy, would I start getting weird hormones and stuff from having that much?

My observation is that you probably will never get too much soy. Ask Rob how much soy he's eaten over a lifetime and tell me there is something wrong with him. As for how much protein, it's up to you. The more protein you consume your chance for more muscle goes up. If you want to be bulky then try for 200g or more each day. I stick with at least 20 each day as a rule, generally i get about 150. For protein other than soy go for peas, rice and beans, nuts/nut butters, yeast flakes, hemp, All the fruits, veggies, and grains...actually just about everything you consume except water has protein so if you dont want massive amounts of it there probably is no need to invest a great deal of time worrying about protein sources. The Vega meal replacement and bars rob can hook you up with also dont have soy.

Just make sure you're getting a good distribution of all your macronutrients during the day. If you're eating to be satisfied and want to lose weight, don't even stress yourself out cutting calories, just eat until you're satisfied, and don't stuff yourself silly. Calories are nice to count and all, but your body will let you know when you've really had enough. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Our family doctor told us soy won't hurt us. I think the soy hormone propoganda is just that and not at all credible. Who hates the soy industry? The beef & dairy industry does. They want to say something about hormones??

They may not come out and say who they are, but I believe any website dedicated to trashing soy is funded by animal abusers.

Soy only hurts people with sensativies to it...just like anything. I should be dead by now with the amount of soy I've eaten in my lifetime if the studies were correct...same goes for alot of my family in the Philippines

Our family doctor told us soy won't hurt us. I think the soy hormone propoganda is just that and not at all credible. Who hates the soy industry? The beef & dairy industry does. They want to say something about hormones??

They may not come out and say who they are, but I believe any website dedicated to trashing soy is funded by animal abusers.

Sometimes, if you read close enough and talk with other people, They come out and say who they are. I remember reading a big thing on why dairy milk was better than soymilk, and the person who led and authored the study was on the dairy payroll.