Jeremy's Blog

Guest veganpotter

Miserable day in the studio. I'm not leaving until after five which means I'll have spent some 36hrs or so in the studio in the last 48hrs...not too fun. I'll go home and nap and I'll be right back at it. Luckily it'll all be over soon and I can focus on training. Today is a day off but not really as I'm not getting any real rest.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great ride today. A bit windy as always but I didn't care since I haven't ridden since Monday. Just a nice 75mile ride in 4 hours with some intense abs at the end.

Wow today sucked...I rode great but the weather was terrible. I went out and it drizzled lightly after ten minutes and I just said it wasn't a big deal. Then I passed the point that I could have cut my ride in half...after maybe 4-5miles the rain came pouring down big time. I was whining and complaining like you've never seen before then...all of a sudden I see a herd of elderly people on bikes coming the other way smiling. It was an MS ride and they weren't complaining one bit(I saw very few people under 60 in the group) so I immediately stopped whining and hammered home. I couldn't tell how fast I was riding since my computer basically says I'm going 28-35mph, with a 250rpm cadence whenever it gets wet so I took it off. The wind was very calm(the only time in weeks...too bad it was raining so hard) and I think the last hour and a half of my loop was the fastest I've ever done it. After that I lifted with my chest and back...then did some abs. We'll see how I feel for my morning ride but so far all is well in the legs.

It was extremely windy today so we took the hilly route and did a fairly hard 32mile ride. Most of the time we were out of the wind so didn't think of it after the first 2-3 miles but the last 2 miles home was ludicrous. We crossed a bridge that stays pretty flat and we weren't really all that tired and most of the length of the bridge we were going just over 12mph. I even dropped to 11.6 for a few seconds which is insane because the bridge is about as flat as it gets. I don't think I've ever ridden a flat distance so slowly in my life other than maybe doing it on purpose. It was painful but at the same time it was really funny to see how much effort you needed to put in go to super slow. At best if I were fresh I may have been able to top out at 20mph for a few seconds before crashing but I doubt it. Theres no way I could have crossed the whole bridge over 15mph(its only about half a mile). Anyway I lifted with my legs after and my quads didn't hold up so well. I still lifted nearly as much as I normally do but the pain would kick in 3-5 reps earlier than normal.

Another super windy day out...maybe 2-5mph weaker but it was still really bad. However I just did the same ride but hammered it a bit more since I know I may not ride today. I'm getting prepared to race at T-town just north of Philly. I'm pretty excited. I wanted to go a few days ago but luckily I didn't since it would have screwed me in the studio. Anyway after my ride I lifted upperbody and did a bit extra on the abs.

Thank goodness I've been up for nearly 30hours getting my last hard project done in my life as a student(probably). Its such a relief. Now I'm gonna go home and take a very very long nap. All I've got left is a small critique on Thursday at 6 and I'm already done making that stuff so I've just gotta wait and I'll have my degree.

Congrats...it will be good to be done with school. At least for a while huh

I just got done my nap(7hours...much longer than I ever actually sleep on normal nights by nearly double) and I'm in the studio getting ready to so some small things. I'll probably stay for just an hour and do a bit of glazing before heading home to rest...eat and maybe watch a DVD...Aaarnold anyone

I had a great ride today. I'm feeling very very strong. I can't wait to race this weekend...hopefully I get there in time to warm up properly. I have no idea what races will be available though...as they aren't listed on the website but we'll see. If they aren't races I train for I should still be competitive though, but I'd really like to race a TT or flying 200m but I doubt they'll have those.

I took it nice and easy today. I ran for only 12 minutes...did three sets of hamstring curls, two sets of 20 lunges(no weight) and my normal 1000rep ab day. After that I gave my new track bike a spin. Let me tell you it was incredible. It was the first time I've ever ridden on tubulars and it was great. So smooth and these are only 19mm tires but pumped to 160psi. Also it sure made my gearing feel small. Considering its a 53/16 thats great...not a huge gear but it should feel fairly large on flat ground but it didn't at all. I really think I can maybe even spin this gear out which is something I couldn't do on the road. I honestly think I could maybe even handle either a 55t ring or maybe even a 15t cog on the track with ease. If it were a TT I'd probably think about riding a 53/14 However I've got a decent amout of standing to do tomorrow while I glaze a ton of pots Hopefully I stay lose for my race.

I'm taking it super easy today. I may not even lift upperbody just to be safe. I'm very much looking forward to the morning races and hopefully kicking some butt.

Yesterday was extremely fun. I would have liked to do better but I've just gotta get some brains. I let people get away from me in my first race and played catch up the whole time...but that last two races I did much better and finished in the lead groups. I'm not sure what my place was in my last race but I did well considering this is that track cycling capital of N. America. My only problem is grabbing a wheel. Jamie took pics and I did a worse job at that than I thought and I thought I didn't do a good job at that. A bunch of the photos have me infront of people but with draftless gaps between me and the person ahead for far too long before I would catch up. I need to fix that if I really want to race. I think its more about comfort. I was getting much more comfortable in my third race where I was in the top 3-4 for some of it and fell back then moved up again but I got spoofed when I fell back and bumped bars and maybe my rear wheel too which I'm just not used to...but in track cycling thats an everyday thing so I've gotta get used to it. I also had a hard time jumping on people moves. My gear was good for a regular long race...but I misjudged and should have had maybe 3-4 less teeth on my chainring so I could accelerate. I never got winded but my muscles did come near to failure a few times but not enough. I doubt my HR ever got over 150 and much was probably in the upper 130 to mid 140s which isn't good considering one race was 9 laps and the other two were 8 laps. I just couldn't get the blood pumping with that big gear and I've gotta get something I can spin so I'm ordering one soon. I think I would have done much better with a smaller gear due to all the jostling around which I'll be able to handle better next time. Anyway it was fun...pictures will be up on Wednesday and I can't wait to get the the track again.

Thanks for the Kudos.

I raced at Trexlertown on the Lehigh Valley Velodrome(a bit north of Philly). It sure was fun. As for licensing I just used my USCF license which you do need to race(you can get a one day though).

As for Portland it looks like I'm leaving later than expected due to things coming up on me but I'm thinking the 2nd or 3rd of June

I felt terribly weak today. I had a nice fast 44mile ride(2:15) which felt incredible but then I tried lifting with my upper body and it was pretty pathetic considering I haven't done it for a while. Anyway hopefully I feel OK for my workout in the morning. Its gotta be short since my moms coming to get my stuff and take mostly all of it back to Maryland.

I felt pretty lousy today and couldn't get a work out in at all due to all the moving. Hopefully tomorrow will be nice and I can get out there for a long easy ride to get some bugs out. It'll be nice to get out for a long ride since I'll be doing short stuff for the next few days as I'll be heading back to the track Saturday(I hope)

I'm a bit over 6'1" and right around 200lbs(I'll be under once I start racing)

Back to training today really sucked. I felt terrible and knew I had to ride but I went out there and practically got blown home so just to be on the bike I decided to stay for a short spin(40minutes) then hammer my legs on the leg curl/extension machine. Probably the heaviest I've gone since I quit lifting weights a few years ago. It felt good. Also I did a nice ab workout as usual.

Oh...I forgot...yesterday I had great ethiopian food...our waiter liked us(Jamie, my mom and I) and was very liberal with the injera...it seems they skimp at most places if they make it with teff only but luckily he liked us so he didn't do that...it was incredible.

6'1" 200LBS

That is on the larger side for cyclists isn't it? I always thought of cyclists as being shorter and quite light. (except the sprinters of course)

There might be hope for me yet

I absolutely LOVE Ethiopian food!

We have a very good Ethiopian restaurant but the only problem is that it takes FOREVER to get your food.

Just reading your post makes me want to go there again.

Yeah I'm heavy but working on it I'd like to be 180-185 eventually but thats gonna take a lot of milage...and even that is a heavy weight for what I want to do.

Yeah I'm heavy but working on it I'd like to be 180-185 eventually but thats gonna take a lot of milage...and even that is a heavy weight for what I want to do.

just for the record... it was a genuine question (not taking a shot at you)

Is the 180-185 LB mark optimum?

Do they have Clydesdale divisions for us bigger guys?

Ahh, I know you weren't taking a shot at me but if you wanted to your free to say as you please As for weight even 180-185 is a bit heavy. For my event it seems somewhat optimal but in all reality the lighter you can get without losing too much power the better. As for divisions I wish but thats only for ironman races.

Today I got out for a decent ride. I did some moving too so I didn't feel all that strong and fresh when I went out but thats fine. Anyway it was a quick 44miles with a bunch of wind. I also lifted upperbody a bit before. I'm planning on taking the day off tomorrow as well in order to prep for the race but I'll regret it if its cancelled due to rain since I won't be riding two days in a row...I already missed two days in a row this week

It looks like my race may be on tomorrow which is great. Too bad I'll be hauling butt to make it back to dog sit. I'd like to do something on the way instead of drive three hours...ride three hours...then drive three hours.