Gloves?

I've never tried the new grips but I think padded cycling gloves are great...a good pair is about $25US and most are vegan nowadays...I almost never see cycling gloves with leather

Some styles of Schiek gloves are non-leather ('synthetic leather') but not all, so you have to check them out. I use one of their wrist-wrap gloves. I found mine by searching for "Schiek gloves" or "synthetic leather weight gloves," something like that.

As you may all have suspected, I'm going to chime in and say don't bother with gloves as they negatively affect your grip and are unnecessary. Benny Boy - the callouses will be hard and potentially a bit painful for a few weeks but they settle down after that and are really useful to have

Jonathan

Yeah, I'm with Jonathan. I have those callouses as well and they don't really bother me, and I'm a laaaaady. I really notice them right after I work out as they get a little roughed up, but in between workouts I can barely notice them.

Of course, you'll be working with heavier weights than I am, so maybe your callouses are worse than mine.

Cycling gloves are a good idea. However, I do see a lot of leather ones when I shop for them. But it's not too hard to find synthetic ones, like these.

I wear gloves sometimes for chinups and curling because I'm a sissy about my hands hurting (okay about anything hurting). I liked what they quoted Robert Cheeke as saying at College's site about gloves, "When you lift heavy weights you want to make sure your muscles fatigue before your grip fails. Using NewGrips my muscles are being trained to their full potential." Robert sold me on wrist support with that endorsement.

Still, I'll try to toughen up. I don't do enough wrist work. I'm sure most people don't.

if you lift without gloves long enough you'll get these wonderful calusses and you won't need to worry about grip failing to to pain...only fatigue. I haven't thrown the shot put in over a year and my hands are still pretty calussed up...should have seen them when I was at my best

I wear gloves sometimes for chinups and curling because I'm a sissy about my hands hurting (okay about anything hurting). I liked what they quoted Robert Cheeke as saying at College's site about gloves, "When you lift heavy weights you want to make sure your muscles fatigue before your grip fails. Using NewGrips my muscles are being trained to their full potential." Robert sold me on wrist support with that endorsement.

Still, I'll try to toughen up. I don't do enough wrist work. I'm sure most people don't.

Your grip will suffer vastly if you wear gloves. It really only takes a small amount of work on your grip work to take it to a level where it will rarely ever fail. I hardly ever train grip now but recently I double overhand deadlifted 180kg and held it at the top for 15 seconds easily.

Jonathan

• 4 weeks later...

Calouses are a good thing...girlfriends don't like it but to me it shows your working hard the same way growing muscles show your working hard...potters can tell when potters a being lazy if they ever have clean fingernails...its just a sign that shows your good at getting your training in