chronic sinus problem

finbarrio

If you don't mind a guy sneaking in here to ask a question...

I have a coworker, female, about 50 yrs old, non-smoker, who has a chronic sinus problem. She has a very heavy and productive cough that comes around every half hour or so (she'll cough hard until something comes up). She's been to about 10 different doctors, has had surgery to remove a cyst in her sinuses, has had allergy treatments for lots of stuff, has been given too many antibiotics, and yet, the cough is still there. She's also changed work areas and we've had a mold check-up in the office and so it isn't that.

We were talking about it today and she said "you're never sick, so I know you'll just tell me to go vegan and everything will clear up". The thought, of course, had crossed my mind, but she then said that she didn't really like vegetables. Blasphemy! Nevertheless, I told her I'd check with my brilliant friends on VBB, many of whom know a lot about diet and health etc...So here I am.

I think she might be allergic to something in her diet. I think she should maybe try to do a little self-study where she cuts out various things for a month or so at a time (starting with dairy) to see if anything works. What do you think?

Any other ideas out there? Anyone else have/know of a similar situation?

Thanks...Finn

It is very likely Dairy. Puriest Freedivers (divers who dive for depth or time) give up dairy altogether even though they aren't veg. Dairy attacks the respiratory.

You can only do so much. Some people would rather suffer or die than *gasp* change their diet. But. if she is willing to give up dairy...ALL dairy for 2-weeks she should see a huge difference.

Thanks, Seasiren. I'll work on the dairy angle - 2 weeks is a short enough time that it may help convince her, but we'll see.

Interesting about freedivers - I did not know that. Sick sport - awesome. One things I love about sports is when you're able to push yourself past a perceived boundary. It seems like freediving would have a LOT of that.

• 3 months later...

I'm new here but not new to chronic sinus problems. I totally agree about the dairy. I can't even eat something like cornbread that's made with milk or the snot monster attacks me. I've also heard (but not tried) that cutting wheat out of the diet reduces sinus problems. One thing that's helped me a lot is brewing my own kombucha tea. I drink about 16 oz a day and while I still have a bit of drainage problems at times, I haven't gotten an infection in a long time. It's a bit of a complicated process to set up but its a lot cheaper than the commercial varieties. If she lives near a Whole Foods market, she can try the GT Dave and Millenium ones. Then if she thinks it's helping, she can get a scoby from someone on the Original Kombcha Yahoo group.

When I finally cut out cheese, I got rid of a mild sinus problem that I didn't really realize I had, so I concur with the previous posters who said dairy.

The fact that you mention the overuse of antibiotics also makes me think she may be having issues with candida, which can create a lot of congestion and other issues too. I found a checklist here that she might want to take a look at. Supplementing with acidophilus and eliminating refined carbs like bread/pasta/rice/cake/cookies/crackers/etc could help with that.

Doesn't like vegetables? Seems like a lot of the people who claim not to like vegetables just haven't had them prepared well.

I'm sure yr co-workers problems could be caused by a variety of things but I would advise her to immediately cut out milk products entirely.

Before I went vegan I used to regularly have really bad migraines as well as frequent sinus infections. Within a few weeks of not using milk products, I stopped having these issues and after 15 years or so have never had them return. My theory is that the mucus from &/or caused by milk-stuff was building up in my sinus cavities & creating pressure + excellent conditions for diseases to grow in...

My friend Don use to have chronic sinusitus (??.. ),

it went away when he went vegan.

So, dairy for sure.

Other culprits could be corn, wheat/gluten, soy, etc.

(Mostly any food you consume on a regular basis for years,

your body can develop an allergy to, and produce massive

amounts of mucous to protect itself..)

I would say, tell her to go raw vegan.

But definitely trying an elmination diet for awhile would help,

I never knew I felt like sh*t when I consumed soy, wheat, or corn..

until I took them out of my diet...

So, dairy for sure.

She speaks the truth, I learned I couldnt't tolerate wheat well when I tried raw. The only thing I can handle and feel good is legumes.

So, dairy for sure.

She speaks the truth, I learned I couldnt't tolerate wheat well when I tried raw. The only thing I can handle and feel good is legumes.

There are a lot of people like that (at least for wheat and common allergens), but I don't know many people who can't handle legumes.