Pittsburgh Vegan Meetup - Pittsburgh's Coolest Vegans!

michaelhobson

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for taking on all these organizational projects Michael. I know I haven't even attended any, but I just get excited when I see this stuff going on. I'm sure we'll get more and more forum members from your area too.

Did I tell you I was searching through the forum memberlist and found at least 8 people who listed "Pittsburgh" as where they live. I hope some of those people are showing up to your events as well.

Great work man.

Thanks Rob, but I can't take full credit for the snow tubing and vegan buffet event. It was my idea, but another meetup group member is actually organizing it. I promoted three people last week to "assistant organizer", kind of like admin status here I guess. And all three of them already have events planned in the coming weeks! Very cool to see people getting excited about bringing vegans together. We also hit 50 members this week!

We will let you slide on attendance until we get a larger event organized.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we're now up to 58 members and had our 5th successful event - Brunch at the Zenith Tea Room. The Zenith is a 100% vegetarian restaurant that is primarily vegan. Every Sunday, the Zenith offers a Brunch costing $10 and including all you can drink tea/coffee, 1 main entree, and huge selection of salads - fruit/potato/pasta/lettuce...We had 24 members attend - even though it was snowy, roads were slick and there was a line to get in!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/veganmadre/Zenith1.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/veganmadre/Zenith4.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/veganmadre/Zenith5.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/veganmadre/Zenith6.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/veganmadre/Zenith7.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/veganmadre/Zenith8.jpg

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention - all you can eat VEGAN CAKE!!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/veganmadre/Zenith9.jpg

I remember some of those people!

That girl in the first picture with brown hair all the way on the left, was she at the New Year's party? She may or may not look familiar.

No that is Anne, I think you are mistaking her for Rachel, the one all the way on the right in the second picture.

Now, the other girl closest to the camera on the left in the first picture is Dana. She is vegan, your age and very single.

That girl in the first picture with brown hair all the way on the left, was she at the New Year's party? She may or may not look familiar.

No that is Anne, I think you are mistaking her for Rachel, the one all the way on the right in the second picture.

Now, the other girl closest to the camera on the left in the first picture is Dana. She is vegan, your age and very single.

Wow, too bad I'm on the other end of the state, unless you show her some pictures of me flexing to hold her over until I get out to Pittsburgh again.

Wow, too bad I'm on the other end of the state, unless you show her some pictures of me flexing to hold her over until I get out to Pittsburgh again.

We'll just lock her in the basement until you get back.

We'll just lock her in the basement until you get back.

Is that legal in Pittsburgh?

Great gathering! You are doing some awesome things out there! I'm pleased and impressed to see how fast the group is growing.

As always, great stuff!

Thanks Rob. I also met about 10 previous members of the disbanded Pittsburgh Vegetarian Society. I met them standing out front of the cafe this morning. They were SO excited to hear about our group, so we should have quite a few more members soon.

They're energetic people and experienced organizers too. Most are also in their 40's and 50's, so they could bring a whole new vegan social network with them.

I'm going to have to try to get out there again sometime soon when you have a meetup at one of these places.

Sounds cool. We're also seriously (about 80%) leaning toward really living in a tent next to the giant organic garden in West Virginia this summer, as in all summer! You'll have to come hang out with us then too.

I'm going to have to try to get out there again sometime soon when you have a meetup at one of these places.

Sounds cool. We're also seriously (about 80%) leaning toward really living in a tent next to the giant organic garden in West Virginia this summer, as in all summer! You'll have to come hang out with us then too.

Is this with/out the VV?

Is this with/out the VV?

We really want to make it to VV. It's just going to have to be a lot closer to then before we can decide if it's feasible. Being unemployeed and cross-country travel are hard to support simultaneously, but we have some ideas how to make it work.

We are going to try really hard to raise thousands of dollars to help fund travel expenses for the Vegan Vacation. Check out the fundraising thread in that section. We're all super supportive of each other and we're bringing up some good ideas to make our forum gathering easy for everyone who wants to attend to be able to do so. It will take some work, but we've got some good ideas.

I hope to do some traveling in general this year and hope to make it out East a few times!

More mini meet-ups everywhere! Just like the brief one we had in Maryland.

What about after the summer?

Good question, we will not be sure of that until the time comes. Option 1, move back to Pittsburgh and get crappy corporate jobs again and live our current lifestyle. Option 2, move back to one of Pittsburgh's less desirable areas and work part-time at low-paying, yet satisfying jobs? Option 3, stay in WV for the winter. There are a couple of great log cabins that are empty and would only need a wood stove to make them winter ready. There is also an empty mansion that was built in the 80's and has just been left to fall apart. May be a good rural WV vegan strength cult location.

The short story is that we're just going to take life by the balls this summer and live on the edge.

Sounds good. I'm really thinking about moving out to Pittsburgh (maybe get accepted to a college then just move out there), so I'll have to see what's up.

Dude, Pittsburgh is college central. There have to be more than dozen here. We will never be too far from Pittsburgh either, with our girls being stuck in Washington PA.

We can either be your Pittsburgh best friends and/or roommates, or your rural West Virginia retreat. Then of course there is Reese, she seemed reallly happy to meet you. You've got a vegan dance partner ready to go!

Sounds good. I'm really thinking about moving out to Pittsburgh (maybe get accepted to a college then just move out there), so I'll have to see what's up.

Dude, Pittsburgh is college central. There have to be more than dozen here. We will never be too far from Pittsburgh either, with our girls being stuck in Washington PA.

We can either be your Pittsburgh best friends and/or roommates, or your rural West Virginia retreat. Then of course there is Reese, she seemed reallly happy to meet you. You've got a vegan dance partner ready to go!

I want to meet that captivating young woman from the other picture too.

We really want to make it to VV. It's just going to have to be a lot closer to then before we can decide if it's feasible. Being unemployeed and cross-country travel are hard to support simultaneously, but we have some ideas how to make it work.

Oh uh-uh! No you didn't just suggest that ya'll even might not be coming out to VV07!!!!

I really want ya'll to come out & I've spent a great deal of my life engaged in traveling cross-country while unemployed so let's get this figured out!