What to say to people wearing fur:

Odidnetne

I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted to put this here or in AR, but I decided on here.

After my workout today I went to the store and saw this woman wearing the ugliest fur coat and fur boots I've *EVER* seen, it was like looking at the sun. I wanted to say something witty that might ruin her day/make her think about what it was she was wearing, but I couldn't think of anything until I was out of the store and on my way home.

Does anyone here ever say anything like that towards people?

I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted to put this here or in AR, but I decided on here.

After my workout today I went to the store and saw this woman wearing the ugliest fur coat and fur boots I've *EVER* seen, it was like looking at the sun. I wanted to say something witty that might ruin her day/make her think about what it was she was wearing, but I couldn't think of anything until I was out of the store and on my way home.

Does anyone here ever say anything like that towards people?

I know, it must be horrible to receive critics from a stranger, but i guess that's the only way.. try to talk nicely, it helps. =D

i was leaving the opera with one of my friends and there was this woman walking in front of us with a fur coat on. when my friend asked me how the experience was, i told him with a voice loud enough that she could hear, that "i can't stand all those people wearing fur". "what's a matter with them anyway?" then i went over the top and said "it must be quite sad to have a combination of no morality with no sense of fashion".

fyi, if you hate fur, stay away from the opera.

"i can't stand all those people wearing fur". "what's a matter with them anyway?" then i went over the top and said "it must be quite sad to have a combination of no morality with no sense of fashion".

I like that bold response. Could I muster up the ability to say it? Eh. I dunno. Still, that last sting is great "combination of no morality and no fashion sense". Ha!

I guess, to me, that response is soley self-fulfilling, though. It's reflective of the I have for people and their complete ignorance. Is it a productive response? Probably not. It'll just put the person on the defensive. Is there any comment that could be made that would encourage the person to have a change of heart/awareness of reality?

Public awareness campaigns are probably more efficient at dealing with the fur-epidemic than are individual comments made to perpetrators.

Well if you want to be an obnoxious tool you can ask them if they like be probed in the but with an electric rod. Unless they're your friend, then they might find that hilarious.

If you want to be smart do what wannalift did. I also make ing faces at girls who have the trim on their boots and coats. Granted, i don't know if it's fake but if they catch me and confront me and tell me it's fake then i will apologize.

My friend has this big fake fur coat and he love it for the tacky look. My other angry former Skinhead(not the nazi type) Oi! friend also hates fur because it can be easily replicated synthetically. Granted, he wears a leather coat but that's because he eats meat anyway.

I wouldn't say anything because I would have no idea if it were real or not. Could be fake fur for all I know. In fact, I, personally, wouldn't wear fake fur for the reason someone would mistake it for real (though, I'd never even wear fake because I find it unattractive.) I've been wrong a few times -- there are a lot of fake furs that look absolutely real.

Ah hah!!! Go up to them, ask them if it's real fur and be really interested, and when they say yes lay the smackdown!!!

Remember to be nice everyone. I know we can all get angry at times when people are just completely inhumane or act like they're the ones being victimized when us vegans as for a little anti-cruelty in our meals but we gotta be nice nice.

That's a hard one, because I have a tendency to get very angry if I confront someone.

When I was a grad student, I had a night class with my roommate, and one of the other students was a woman who wore a fur coat. My roommate and I didn't say a thing--we couldn't think of what to say--but started wearing very obvious anti-fur buttons. The woman looked very uncomfortable, so I hope that it got her thinking (that two of her nice, helpful, smart classmates looked down upon people who wore fur).

I've sometimes thought about getting a fake fur coat, for the warmth, but I'd want one that is obviously fake ---not crappy quality, cheap looking, but some interesting, 'obviously not a real animal' pattern( (like blue, with square 'spots' on it!). But I wouldn't want anyone to even think it might be real (I'm more concerned about people who don't know me, because those that do would assume it was fake).

I yelled something at a woman leaving her limo going into a chapel for her wedding. She had a white fur vest on...I surely ruined her moment. Her father was really pissed and I think in any other situation he would have went after me...which wouldn't have done anything but get him hurt because I was still 300lbs. In some situations when you don't have the time to change someone...you should take the opportunity to give them a bad day.

**Oddly enough I was leaving a very peaceful circus protest when I saw her walking towards the church.

Dunno if there's any point. I think it'd just make your life more complicated and stressful, going up to everyone who is eating a cheese sandwich, or wearing leather shoes or a leather belt "Hey is that a real leather belt? Yeah? Well how about you're an asshole". If I knew how to constructively let people know that they need to change their lifestyle in a way that would really make them think, then I'd be doing that all the time, but as far I know, you'll generally be met with apathy or anger regardless of how nice you are. I don't waste my breath on people unless I'm asked about it, or if they seem like they'll be receptive. But approaching strangers, I dunno, just seems like asking for trouble and you're so unlikely to get anywhere.

i think its more along the lines of "they gave me a bad day seeing them where fur so i'm going to return the favor". as far as that comment i made, i've gone a lot further in the past. one time i saw these people set up a stand inside a mall in front of a department store. i went up to them and asked if they were in charge of it. she smilled and said an enthusiastic "yes". then i said something to the effect of "business must be going pretty bad if you have to slum it here in the mall. i hope you don't sell anything you baby animal killers." needless to say she called security on me and i had to hightail it out of there. of course this begs the question, what was i doing in a mall in the first place it was YEARS ago.

i was leaving the opera with one of my friends and there was this woman walking in front of us with a fur coat on. when my friend asked me how the experience was, i told him with a voice loud enough that she could hear, that "i can't stand all those people wearing fur". "what's a matter with them anyway?" then i went over the top and said "it must be quite sad to have a combination of no morality with no sense of fashion".

Omg, it's a outstanding idea, it's perfect, i should try doing that next time.. seriously.

It's better than telling telling ''nicely'', you don't even have to argue. it's excellent.

i think its more along the lines of "they gave me a bad day seeing them where fur so i'm going to return the favor". as far as that comment i made, i've gone a lot further in the past. one time i saw these people set up a stand inside a mall in front of a department store. i went up to them and asked if they were in charge of it. she smilled and said an enthusiastic "yes". then i said something to the effect of "business must be going pretty bad if you have to slum it here in the mall. i hope you don't sell anything you baby animal killers." needless to say she called security on me and i had to hightail it out of there. of course this begs the question, what was i doing in a mall in the first place it was YEARS ago.

What happened to the ''Bill of Rights'' ? How can she call security if you're just giving your opinion, and telling her what you wanted to happen. It's pretty unfair i guess.. It's not like you're protesting or anything..

Richard, I didn't mean to say that I go after everyone eating a burger or anything, it's just that I think fur is SO F*****G UGLY, that it ruins my day to see it.

The woman acted very prissy and had that attitude to her that would have led me to believe that it's real, if you know what I mean.

Yea, the prickitude.

I see it all the time now. I have no idea if those coats girls wear are real or fake. I don't know if the boots are. I'm sure they're made of some animal since damn near every piece of clothing is unless you're smart and check to make sure you're not killing/maiming any baby animals or sheep.

Richard, I didn't mean to say that I go after everyone eating a burger or anything, it's just that I think fur is SO F*****G UGLY, that it ruins my day to see it.

The woman acted very prissy and had that attitude to her that would have led me to believe that it's real, if you know what I mean.

Yeah I hate fur...if all fur clothing on the planet was synthetic then I'd just think everyone who wore it would look rediculous...not terribly cruel and evil...just a bit pathetic.

**Sorry fake fur wearing forum members

I hadn't thought of it along those lines before, I was thinking that the point was to get them to think about their actions, rather than to feel better about it yourself. If that works for you, go for it! I have no sympathy for them in terms of receiving comments in the street, I think it's fair enough. I think it'd just frustrate me even more to engage in conversation with that type of person, and to know that no matter what I said, they'd just ignore me. I guess when I see fur, I don't see it as any different to anything else, just another sad thing which goes on constantly.

I think most fur wearers are not going to change unless public opinion starts to see fur as unacceptable and unnecessary.

And if you approach a fur wearer hostilly, or yell something like "fur hag!" from afar, or throw red paint on them, or pound them into the ground (yes, I have my fantasies!) you not only will probably not change their mind, but any onlookers who might feel a tingle of anti-fur sentiment won't want to be associated with people who are hostile and rude and that little beginning of anti-fur sentiment could fail to develop (I'm not talking about the people who already are against fur, but those who could be enlightened and made to think about it and then make up part of the common public opinion).

When I'm minding my own business and a stranger interrupts my day to tell me what's wrong with what I'm eating/believing/wearing/saying/etc... I'm generally too pissed off about the fact that they are imposing their unsolicited ideas on me to really give a crap about what they have to say. It doesn't matter how important or valid their message is, I'm not really going to hear it, delivered in that manner. I'm not going to come away from the conversation thinking "Wow, I sure am glad that person pointed my faults out to me, I'm changing my life right now".. I'm going to come away thinking "Wow, that person was an asshole!" and nothing else.

Therefore, no, I wouldn't say anything to a random stranger wearing a fur coat, either comments made directly to them or comments made obviously for them to overhear. I'm not saying they don't deserve that and more... just that it's not something I feel is particularly effective or that I would feel comfortable doing.

On the other hand, if someone tries to sell me fur, buy fur for me, or ask me what I think of their fur, I'd consider that an open invitation to share my thoughts with them... and I will happily subject them to my full commentary on the subject.

I think most fur wearers are not going to change unless public opinion starts to see fur as unacceptable and unnecessary.

And if you approach a fur wearer hostilly, or yell something like "fur hag!" from afar, or throw red paint on them, or pound them into the ground (yes, I have my fantasies!) you not only will probably not change their mind, but any onlookers who might feel a tingle of anti-fur sentiment won't want to be associated with people who are hostile and rude and that little beginning of anti-fur sentiment could fail to develop (I'm not talking about the people who already are against fur, but those who could be enlightened and made to think about it and then make up part of the common public opinion).

I think the general public already sees fur as unacceptable and unnecessary...this is why the fur protest I go to are sometimes made up of over 50% omnis...I know a lot of non veggies that think fur it absolutely terrible.

Wouldn't it be cool if the opera had fur-free performances? If not all performances, then at least selected dates/times. Same with the ballet.

If rock concerts can disallow my purse and restaurants can require a suit/tie... then why not?

Wouldn't it be cool if the opera had fur-free performances? If not all performances, then at least selected dates/times. Same with the ballet.

If rock concerts can disallow my purse and restaurants can require a suit/tie... then why not?

a girl can dream.