Indian Food Recommendations

9nines

You can't go wrong with Indian (or Thai) food. Strange things can happen in your belly afterwards but it's generally worth it
I have found Indian to be pretty good.

They seem to always have something vegan, no matter where you go.

But with Tai you've got to be careful! They like to use fishbroth as a basis for all of there dishes.

It's better to ask when you're in a Thai restaurant!

You can't go wrong with Indian (or Thai) food. Strange things can happen in your belly afterwards but it's generally worth it
I have found Indian to be pretty good.

They seem to always have something vegan, no matter where you go.

But with Tai you've got to be careful! They like to use fishbroth as a basis for all of there dishes.

It's better to ask when you're in a Thai restaurant!

I know about the fish stuff. Usually the red and green curry is ok and if they have tofu they usually knows what 'vegetarian' meens.

Indian food is as tricky. They put ghee in everything and the naan usually have dairy in it.

Mmmmm...samosas, puris, umpa, chana masala, naan, potato dosa...

Samosas are deep fried dough balls (essentially) stuffed with potato and veggies.

Umpa is a dish similar to cream of wheat but with loads of veggies and spices mixed in.

Chana masala is chickpeas (garbanzo beans) in a spicy tomato/curry sauce.

Naan is indian flat bread - similar to a whole wheat flour tortilla but thicker.

Dosas are very thin, crispy pancakes wrapped around a potato/pea/chili spice mix. Yum!

Dahls are great, too. These can vary in consistency but are typically "saucy" and consist of red lentils.

Michael and others may be able to give you better pointers. I'm mad for indian food. Mmmm. Now I want some tonight!!

I know about the fish stuff. Usually the red and green curry is ok and if they have tofu they usually knows what 'vegetarian' meens.

Indian food is as tricky. They put ghee in everything and the naan usually have dairy in it.

Yeah, that's right, I've heard about the Ghee, pretty ing for vegans. Thanks for pointing that out, I have completely forgotten about it. Which would have been a big mistake visiting the next indien restaurant!

jeez, you guys are so lucky, the closest vegan-friendly restaurant from where i live is about 20 minutes from here.. and even though it's a indian restaurant ( i love indian food ), it's pretty expensive, so expensive that is not worth going there at all..

it sucks to live in a redneck town..

I might go eat here:

http://www.indoamerican-news.com/houston/anand_bhavan_2004.htm

I have never eaten Indian food. Recommendations?

I'll definitely have to check that place out. So very cool that they have a buffet - I can sample a bit of everything and find out if I like Indian food.

My first (and only) experience with Indian food was horrible. My random choice from the menu turned out to be something I didn't like at all, and I forced myself to eat it, just to be polite. (bad idea) Since everyone I know raves about Indian food, I keep thinking that maybe I just happened to get unlucky that one day and that if I try something else I might like it, but I've still been timid about trying Indian food again.

My favorite Indian dish is Saag which is usually (always?) spinach based. It normally has cheese in it but I've had it with tofu, potatoe's & something else I cant remember... Samosa's are a close second if they are done well. But really - if it's vegan & Indian, I'm usually always happy to eat it!

For the most part I stick with Indian buffets - otherwise it's usually too pricey for me.

North indian food, tends to be a lot better for Vegans...

I've got a couple of Indian friends and they have confirmed this.

They tend to use most vegetable oil instead of Ghee....

Lucky there is one around the corner from me...

Most thai places will make you something without Fish sauce, or at least make you a Vegan pad thai, without all that egg...

I had some yummy N. Indian food last night...it was soo awesome. I like S. Indian more though since I've got this great place to eat near Baltimore that doesn't use much ghee and everything is labeled vegan if it is vegan. My girlfriend lived in S. India for 6 moths of schooling and she loves S. Indian food since most of the places in the US are N.Indian...either way I love both...I just wish they were all vegan. The odd thing to me seems like there are more vegetarian S. Indian places than North(relatively)...but S. Indians use more dairy...or yogurt at least...N. Indians seem to use more cheese in my eyes

We eat Indian food at least 2 times a week. (usually more)

Samosas are just sooooo good!

I also like chole and alloo gobbi

We have a couple Indian restaurants which have dinner buffets. Definitely one of our favourites.

It's actually not too hard to make a pretty good Indian meal at home once you get the handle on the spices.