Mini New Years Vacation...Potter style

Guest veganpotter

Saddly we couldn't make it up to New England as planned but we managed a day trip to Philly and a bit of a stay in Baltimore...it wasn't what we were expecting but we made the best of the situation and had a good time anyway.

We went to Singapore Vegetarian which is my favorite place on earth to eat but of course we got caught up in the moment and took zero pictures but we did manage to find a new place(new to me) I've never been too called Govinda's Vegetarian Cafe. They had wonderful food and all the deserts were vegan...I will definately be going back for more.

Here is Jamie with her first ever vegan cheesecake. She hasn't had a cheesecake since well before she went vegan which was 4 yrs ago. This cheesecake was the best I've ever had and it was topped with some type of raspberry coating

[/img]

I also got this mongolian tofu wrap which was great...it had tofu, and rice with a wonderful tahini dressing...not sure what else it was flavored with but it was nice and somewhat cheesy

[/img]

Finishing myself off

[/img]

Great looking food, great looking girlfriend, great looking dog. And you, well of course...!

Govindas eh? I'm hoping the Philly temple is different, especially running a restaurant and all. But, if that sauce tasted cheesey, there is one likely reason, it probably was. Every Hare Krishna I have ever known would lie straight to your face, tell you it was vegan and then try to convince you of the glories of dairy. Never trust a Hare Krishna.

They didn't seem very Krishna...I know the name is Indian but I had not idea...it didn't taste "cheese" cheesy...it tasted more "yeast" cheesy. They had a few non vegan things and a few vegan things specifically...I'd think they'd not have anything vegan then tell you it just happened to be if that was the case???

I'm glad you made it to Govinda's! I love it there. And their vegan food IS vegan, which is why they have specifically labeled vegan and non-vegan cheeses, etc. No worries about them lying to you! There are other restaurants in Philly who will do that, though!

Next time you will have to try Kingdom of Vegetarians for chinese food... it's most people's favorite! My friends even named their band after it.

Great looking food, great looking girlfriend, great looking dog. And you, well of course...!

Govindas eh? I'm hoping the Philly temple is different, especially running a restaurant and all. But, if that sauce tasted cheesey, there is one likely reason, it probably was. Every Hare Krishna I have ever known would lie straight to your face, tell you it was vegan and then try to convince you of the glories of dairy. Never trust a Hare Krishna.

I know plenty of Hare Krishnas and I trust them very much!

I'm definately going back there...and with more money next time I think I may buy a whole cake too. As for the vegan fibbers I know of Giovannis...luckily I only ate there one time and I didn't even know about it while I lived in Philly...if I had I would have went there a few times a week.

Is Kindom of Vegetarians the one you can see from Vine Street??? If it is I liked it a lot but I just have trouble going anywhere else but Singapore. When I lived there I made sure I went to every veggie place in Philly and pretty much stuck to one but a few have surely popped up since I haven't lived there for nearly 4 years. Do you have any other places you recommend??? Other than those two places I realy enjoy eating at Maoz on South Street

I bet I know more. I know personally Hare Krishnas that have literally been in jail for insurance fraud, dealing drugs, child molestation, rape and murder.

I have seen many times Hare Krishnas lie directly to someone in response to questions about food being vegan.

I have seen Hare Krishnas selling green cake at a festival, it wasn't supposed to be green, it had gone bad and moldy. They lied and said it was supposed to be green.

All of these things were justified in the name of serving Krishna and helping people to make spiritual advancement by eating prasadam(offered food).

I know, I have hung out with the scum of the earth. I also know that these types of activities are not limited to Hare Krishnas. I also know dozens and dozens of good, nice, honest devotees. In general though, I just don't trust devotees as they tend to justify almost anything in the name of Krishna.

I bet I know more. I know personally Hare Krishnas that have literally been in jail for insurance fraud, dealing drugs, child molestation, rape and murder.

I have seen many times Hare Krishnas lie directly to someone in response to questions about food being vegan.

I have seen Hare Krishnas selling green cake at a festival, it wasn't supposed to be green, it had gone bad and moldy. They lied and said it was supposed to be green.

All of these things were justified in the name of serving Krishna and helping people to make spiritual advancement by eating prasadam(offered food).

I know, I have hung out with the scum of the earth. I also know that these types of activities are not limited to Hare Krishnas. I also know dozens and dozens of good, nice, honest devotees. In general though, I just don't trust devotees as they tend to justify almost anything in the name of Krishna.

That's fine, it's not a contest about who knows more hare krishnas, I just think it's offensive to label a person automatically because of religon (race, class, gender, etc), regardless of past experiences.

If you know dozens of honest devotees, you will agree that it is completely unnecessary to make inflamatory statements like "Every Hare Krishna I have ever known would lie straight to your face"?

If you know dozens of honest devotees, you will agree that it is completely unnecessary to make inflamatory statements like "Every Hare Krishna I have ever known would lie straight to your face"?

I don't think it is inflamatory, I think it is true. It is discussed in devotee circles on a regular basis. The general concensus is that it is best to lie to "karmis", especially vegan karmis about dairy in the prasadam, in order to "help" those people make spiritual advancement. It's not an isolated event, it is happening in temples on a regular basis.

I'm definately going back there...and with more money next time I think I may buy a whole cake too. As for the vegan fibbers I know of Giovannis...luckily I only ate there one time and I didn't even know about it while I lived in Philly...if I had I would have went there a few times a week.

Is Kindom of Vegetarians the one you can see from Vine Street??? If it is I liked it a lot but I just have trouble going anywhere else but Singapore. When I lived there I made sure I went to every veggie place in Philly and pretty much stuck to one but a few have surely popped up since I haven't lived there for nearly 4 years. Do you have any other places you recommend??? Other than those two places I realy enjoy eating at Maoz on South Street

I think they have Vegan Treats cakes there? You should just make the extra trip up to Allentown and go to the Vegan Treats bakery! I haven't been yet. The cakes at Kingdom are also awesome, but made locally in Philly.

Yeah, Gianna's is the one that lied about their food being vegan. I did go there quite a bit and was pissed when I found out where my money had been going. Needless to say, I haven't been back and I don't have a lot of respect for people still supporting them when there are DOZENS of great vegan places in Philadelphia, and even within walking distance of Gianna's.

I like Maoz, too! There is also a new (relocated) vegan "gourmet" place called Horizons that I haven't been to yet, but hope to visit soon! There is also a vegan chinese buffet (all you can eat) up in Malvern which would be right up your alley (and is awesome!). Also, up by me in Norristown, there is an Indian place that does tandoor veggies and mock meat, which is AWESOME! I haven't been eating out much, but this is making me want to!

That's fine, it's not a contest about who knows more hare krishnas, I just think it's offensive to label a person automatically because of religon (race, class, gender, etc), regardless of past experiences.

PS I was just adding a little humor with the "i know more devotees" line, that's why the face. Also, wasn't meaning to offend anyone, although I see where it could be offensive.

I think they have Vegan Treats cakes there? You should just make the extra trip up to Allentown and go to the Vegan Treats bakery! I haven't been yet. The cakes at Kingdom are also awesome, but made locally in Philly.

Yeah, Gianna's is the one that lied about their food being vegan. I did go there quite a bit and was pissed when I found out where my money had been going. Needless to say, I haven't been back and I don't have a lot of respect for people still supporting them when there are DOZENS of great vegan places in Philadelphia, and even within walking distance of Gianna's.

I like Maoz, too! There is also a new (relocated) vegan "gourmet" place called Horizons that I haven't been to yet, but hope to visit soon! There is also a vegan chinese buffet (all you can eat) up in Malvern which would be right up your alley (and is awesome!). Also, up by me in Norristown, there is an Indian place that does tandoor veggies and mock meat, which is AWESOME! I haven't been eating out much, but this is making me want to!

Wow, sounds like we need to organize a vegan tour of Pennsylvania. Who knew a state with 10 dairy billboards per square mile could be so vegan friendly.

I don't think it is inflamatory, I think it is true. It is discussed in devotee circles on a regular basis. The general concensus is that it is best to lie to "karmis", especially vegan karmis about dairy in the prasadam, in order to "help" those people make spiritual advancement. It's not an isolated event, it is happening in temples on a regular basis.

I know full well many of the problems that have gone on with ISKON, I just try not to endorse blanket statements.

Wow, sounds like we need to organize a vegan tour of Pennsylvania. Who knew a state with 10 dairy billboards per square mile could be so vegan friendly.

It seems like a lot of vegan-friendliness is over at this end!

It seems like a lot of vegan-friendliness is over at this end!

Plenty of vegan friendliness in Pittsburgh too. Hunan Kitchen has an extensive vegan chinese menu, the Quiet Storm is all veg and makes great tofu sandwiches, Udipi is an all veg indian restaurant, Zenith Cafe is a funky punk-owned antique shop and veg cafe, Mad Mex has vegan soy cheese and tofu sour cream on their chain restaurant menu, and the bakery and the new cupcake shop on our street both sell vegan cupcakes! Because as we all know, vegan cupcakes are in fact taking over the world.

Today I rode but I was busy thinking about all the wonderful places to eat in Philly that I have not gone to yet...thanks for the advice...I'll surely give some of them a pit stop next time I go up

Gianna's desserts aren't vegan ?!!! I have always asked and they've told me no egg and no dairy. What do they put in them ?

There is also a new (relocated) vegan "gourmet" place called Horizons that I haven't been to yet, but hope to visit soon!

Horizons is great ! I highly recommend it.

Now with the food out of the way, you and your gf make a cute couple VP. (Where's Govinda's ? )

Govinda's is on the corner of South St. and Broad...its suprisingly easy to drive right by it. If your going away from Independence Hall it will be on your right.

As for Gianna's they claim the vegan labeled foods are vegan but even if they are too many vegans have been betrayed by them so alot of vegans won't go anymore. The only thing I knew of was the cheese they claimed to be vegan. It was soy cheese that was said to be homeade...surely they'd been asked hundreds of times and lied hundreds of times...only to later admit that the cheese they had was not vegan.

Veganpotter,

I saw part of a show on tv late last night that was spotlighting Stickyfingers.

They focused on their cinnamon buns.

Are they really that good as they say?

They also say they ship them anywhere in the US. I was surprised to see them on TV but it was cool nonetheless.

They are as good as they say...I love the fact that they aren't super sweet like say a Cinnabon...they also aren't smothered with butter(vegan or otherwise) so they don't make you feel all oily inside...anyway if you want to place an order I suggest a few of those, a devils food cake and if you want something super sweet the cowvin cookie is quite good as well.