Australia

sydneyvegan

The New Year has caused me to reflect a lot on Australian and where we currently stand as a Country, and to be honest, it's embarrassing and sickening...

1. We have some of the most unique flora and fauna in the world, yet one of the highest rates of extinction and land clearing

2. We refuse to sign or really even acknowledge the Kyoto Protocols, yet we are feeling the effects of Global Warming more than any other country and already seem to be seeing changes in weather etc.

3. We are the driest continent on earth, yet we are one of the most wasteful when it comes to water use.

4. We have a Prime Minister who is part of the religious right, and who has taken away civil liberties, that have taken decades to develop.

5. We continue to kiss the arse of other countries, who really don't care about Australia, let alone know where it is.

5. We are involved in Wars on the other side of the world, which really have nothing to do with us.

6. We have Australian citizens who have been imprisoned by other countries for 5 years, without a trial, and have refused to let them back into Australia, even know that have done nothing wrong, according to Australian Law.

7. We continue to treat animals in ways that are beyond comprehension, more so than any other country (live Exports of sheep and cattle, and mulesing being examples)

Does Anyone else, ever think like this about the country in which they live?

I do...as citizens of modern countries with "educated" people we seem to do much of the same. I'd love to leave but at the same time people are trying to fix things here and I owe it to them to stay...not that I'm the most important thing in the world to them but if I leave I'll be going to Scottland for a few years at the very most or maybe going to the Philippines for a while since nobody seems to be doing anything for anyone there.

Does Anyone else, ever think like this about the country in which they live?

As a Canadian who also has Australian citizenship, I often think of hightailing it outta Canada and heading for Australia -- and funnily enough, for pretty much the same issues you've just brought up (or the Canadian equivalent anyway). Your post is a big reminder that every country has it's share of problems, you've just gotta make the best out of what you've got.

I don't want to come across, as being overly negative, and all doom and gloom. I guess I just sometimes sit back and read the newspapers and watch the news and think, why do we continue down this path...

Anyway, feeling better this week and thinking more along the lines of what I can do to bring about change, be it through elections that are coming up this year, or just through changing the way people who come in contact with me think...

Everything is pretty crappy right now. If some big crazy catastrophe does happen those who survive will have a chance to fix everything. It's either that or we do something to prevent all of the crap we have in our world systems be they economic or political.

I was just listening to something about this on public radio the other day. I can't remember the author but his book was called "The Upside Of Down".

Durr... google.

http://www.theupsideofdown.com/

Thomas Homer-Dixon

I think its pretty normal for compassionate people to have these down periods. So many people just "shut down" with respects to current events, social & environmental issues.

We are inundated with "bad news" every day in the media. If you actually take the time to read or listen to the sories it's quite depressing.

I wish the media would focus on more on the "good news" and highlight all the great work that is being done in the world to make it a better place.

There is still a whole lotta good ou there!!

There are a lot of problems with America too. I think my area is another one that global warming is really starting to show up on. It's been almost 70 degrees almost everyday this week (except for today), when I should be shoveling my way out the driveway.

Vancouver is getting all of your snow Odidnetne -- it used to be a freak thing to get snow here... not anymore. We've had five majour snow storms and five or six hurricane force wind storms in 2 months. And to think I moved out west to get away from the snow back east. You can't win.

I think if it weren't for global warming this would be a warm summer anyway as other parts of N.America are getting a lot of snow. Next year it may be colder than normal. In general though it is gonna get warmer but I don't think it'll have a huge impact on us for another 15yrs or so. After all I saw todays record high in Richmond is something like 72degrees and that happened in the late 60s...while the record low of 6 happened in the mid 90s.

SydneyVegan - I remember I was in Victoria on one of those little backpacker buses that do a little tour between cities, and we passed through a forest that was being logged.

Amazed when I was informed that the wood was going to be used for toilet paper, mulch, garden chips etc....

I thought your treatment of refugees was harsh too - I remember the Afghans and Iraqi's that got sent to Naura and some of the detention centres ( Woomera? )....

Woodchipping is just criminal it really is. Some of the largest and oldest Eucalyptus trees you can imagine, used to make card board boxes etc. They then plant species specific habitats essentially in rows and claim that the practice is sustainable...

The treatment of refugees continues, Woomera, Villawood, Baxter, it is not something to be proud of.

• 5 weeks later...

The UK doesnt have much to be proud of either though ..

we came bottom in a league table and apparently have the worse record for child welfare !!!

we had a 15 yr old boy being shot dead in his own home in the afternoon

and the bloomin labour govt still rule !!

we had a 15 yr old boy being shot dead in his own home in the afternoon

How can that be?

The UK essentially banned almost all guns + has some of the strictest gun control laws in the world - almost certainly the strictest in Europe.

The guns possessed by the criminal fraternity have always been illegal, so the stricter gun controls and legislation introduced in the wake of Dunblane, has made no difference to gangs and the underworld.

It's never been that hard to get a firearm in the UK if you knew who to ask or mixed in the right circles.

It's even easier now to get a gun in the UK - the Balkan wars led to an influx of guns being brought in by ruthless Eastern European gangsters, and firearms have also been introduced to the UK from abroadby returning UK servicemen.

The following article shows how easy it is to get a firearm in the UK:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=436543&in_page_id=1770

Even so...very few people are killed by gunfire in the UK...here in Richmond, VA if someone gets shot it may not even make the news(per capita its the third most dangerous city in America)

The guns possessed by the criminal fraternity have always been illegal, so the stricter gun controls and legislation introduced in the wake of Dunblane, has made no difference to gangs and the underworld.

So these laws, which cost who knows how many pounds & police work-hours, essentially only affect those law-abiding folks who who own/ed their guns for sport, personal defense, etc?

A few is still too many, especially when its children
Agreed - this event sounds tragic...

I agree...its terrible either way but your rules are far better/more successful than ours are.
How so? The UK certainly is not a great example of a society with low-levels of violence or crime. It's quite the opposite actually - at least according to the UN: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4257966.stm

It turns out that Scotland & England have the highest levels of criminal violence of developed countries, levels double that of the US... I'll skip discussing their privacy-invading laws & levels of police surveillance for now.

You're getting some new US bases too.

The water shortages are really starting to kick in now to yeah?

Yes more US bases....

Most of the major cities have water shortages, yet despite the fact that we are one of the driest continents on Earth we continue to waste water and to vote against options that work. In Sydney there are plans to build a desal plant, which is good I guess, but not likely to make much difference. Until we recycle water, we will always have a shortage.

I didn't know that about the crime outside of gun violence so thank you very much:)

As for the privacy and crime servailence it doesn't really bother me. If someone wants to sneak a camera in my kitchen at watch me eating tons of tofuttie cuties...I may not want the whole forum knowing but then again I shouldn't be doing it all the time.