Going to begin cutting out all processed foods.. Giant Bean!

Kon

Ok, it's been a while that I've felt that I should take out processed foods from my diet, but soon I will aim to completely do it.

From this point onwards I plan not to spend any money on processed foods. So once I run out of what I currently have, I will be eating mostly unprocessed foods like fruit and veggies.

I'm posting this in an attempt to keep a record of what I do, so I can motivate myself towards my goal.

I'll need some help though in understanding options for what I can eat, and how much. for that i am clueless.

also keep in mind i live with my family and it makes things difficult

Edited by Kon

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good step, IMO.

Especially important is to cut out foods with high fructose corn sweetener/syrup and hydrogenated/partially-hydrogenated oils, which means many processed foods.

As for where to start and what to eat: people lived for centuries without processed foods. But it's good to have a few cookbooks on hand, so you have some place to start from. Anything you would have bought processed in the past (ie: soup) you can make from scratch. Check out some of the recipes on www.vegsource.com , and some of the books at www.veganessentials.com . Vegan Planet is a good cookbook, with lots of variety, some very simple recipes included. Just read over descriptions (also at www.amazon.com , where they have user reviews to help you get a better feel of the book) and seem which book(s) appeals to you the most.

I'm not sure why you need to know how much to eat (vs. when you ate more processed foods). IMO, that kind of comes naturally, especially if you are eating whole, natural foods. Your appetite will be your guide (unless you find your appetite steers you to too many high-fat foods, or whatever, then you might want to have a little 'talk' with it! LOL!)

thanks, i will be sure to check out those recipes/sites.

I'm wondering where one gets ingredients, because I usually just shop at jewel since it is nearby.

What places would be best for me to shop at?

As for how much to eat, i was wondering if like you have to manage what kinds of nutrients you're getting from what.

Sounds like you need a good guidebook to get you started, then after following that for a while, you'll get the feel of what to eat as far as nutrients are concerned.

Something like "becoming Vegan" or better yet (because it doesn't use processed foods) Dr. Furhman's "Eat To Live" provide some recipe and meal guidance.

One book with more specific quidelines for building a healthy vegan diet is Michael Klaper's "Vegan Nutrition Pure and Simple."

i'm wondering if smoothies are considered processed?

Not if you make them yourself, out of whole ingredients.

If you buy them in a store, they could be heated, contain preservatives, artificial colors and additives, etc, then they would be "processed foods."

I see, thanks.

I went shopping today, this is what I bought:

http://www.finalredemption.com/stuff/veggies.jpg

^kale,beats,sweet potatoes

http://www.finalredemption.com/stuff/veggies2.jpg

^grapes,brocolli,greenbeans,brusclesprouts,spinache

http://www.finalredemption.com/stuff/fruit.jpg

^bananas,apples,peaches,nectarines

http://www.finalredemption.com/stuff/fruit2.jpg

http://www.finalredemption.com/stuff/almonds.jpg

I didn't really have much of a list for what to buy, I just took what I thought would be good.

What do you think? I've never bought so many plants before.

It's kind of astonishing at first when you start cutting out processed foods. Fresh fruits and veggies are heavy and bulky. It's kind of fun though, toting home bags full of food and knowing you're going to eat it ALL!

Looks yummy, good luck with cutting out processed foods. We haven't really cut them out, but most of our evening meals consist primarily of vegetables. I love them, really can't get enough. I can't wait until summer when we will be growing most of our own food!!!

What about grains and legumes? I would have added beans of all the colors you can find. Rice from basmati to wild. And with kids I do pasta and make some kind of dough from weird flours life amaranth and teff.

I try to do a pasta dish one night, a rice dish the next night, a bean dish the next, and then some kind of dough/bread the next night. I then repeat it all over again. I guess I base my meals on starch . I then add tofu, tempeh, or nuts for the protein to go with the starch. And of course colorful veggies and fruit to dress it all up.

I'll have to remember to check out the legumes and grains to see what I can get, I look forward to that. It was taking me a while looking at the veggies and things so I forgot about those.

One thing I like about buying veggies & fruit is that you see exactly what you'll eat, you feel closer to your food.

What do brussel sprouts taste like? Do you steam them?

brussel sprouts taste awesome, one of the best tasteing things on that plate, though everything tasted good. I steamed them for about 3 minutes, and they were pretty soft and creamy.

What? Brussel Sprouts are the food of the gods. We sometimes have them for dinner, just Brussel Sprouts nothing else.

Usually we just steam them, maybe add a little earth balance or just some salt. Other times Tiffaney will caramelize some onions in olive oil and then toss in the brussel sprouts. Yum!

brussel sprouts taste awesome, one of the best tasteing things on that plate, though everything tasted good. I steamed them for about 3 minutes, and they were pretty soft and creamy.

I've always been curious about them, that pic has inspired me to try 'em.

Thanks!

What? Brussel Sprouts are the food of the gods. We sometimes have them for dinner, just Brussel Sprouts nothing else.

Usually we just steam them, maybe add a little earth balance or just some salt. Other times Tiffaney will caramelize some onions in olive oil and then toss in the brussel sprouts. Yum!

Everytime you post about food I get jealous of your life. Always delicious food in your stomach!!!!!!

They are great in bubble and squeak too

Just get leftover cooked sprouts, onion, carrot and mix together with mashed potatoe. Form into patties and leave to sit for a while. Then fry in some oil and serve with something like baked beans..

they are YUM

Oh that they are! I love eating them in exorbitant amounts, steaming and eating them plain or dipping them in hummus raw. They are pretty hard to chew raw, but tasty.

Funny you dug up this thread, we're having brussel sprouts for dinner right now. That's all, just brussel sprouts.

Can I come over?

I really need to get some brussel sprouts.

You're welcome any time!

I can see us in Hot Springs NC now, we'll be sitting out by the camp fire roasting brussel sprouts on a stick. Who needs marshmallows? Pftt!