Going to begin cutting out all processed foods.. Giant Bean!

Kon

Speaking of that, We need to do the NC thing. You're going to be with the Amish all summer though arentcha?

North Carolina is better in spring anyway. What's your April/May availability? Maybe I'll get a new thread started?

And no, not spending the summer with the Amish. We're camping on the fringe of a Hare Krishna farm community in West Virginia. We'll also be heading for the Rainbow Gathering in July and then Vegan Vacation in August. You should catch a ride with us to Arkansas for the rainbow, it's an experience not to be missed.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of that, We need to do the NC thing. You're going to be with the Amish all summer though arentcha?

North Carolina is better in spring anyway. What's your April/May availability? Maybe I'll get a new thread started?

And no, not spending the summer with the Amish. We're camping on the fringe of a Hare Krishna farm community in West Virginia. We'll also be heading for the Rainbow Gathering in July and then Vegan Vacation in August. You should catch a ride with us to Arkansas for the rainbow, it's an experience not to be missed.

Spring break in may sometime I believe. LETS DOOO IT!

I'm looking to get away for as much of the summer as I can, so maybe I will.

Brussels Sprouts! Mmmm! Michael and I often make an entire dinner of sprouts. Ok, so it's only been in the past month or so since in my 25 years of life I'd never once had them before! Probably my favorite vegetable! Especially steamed and then quickly sauteed with some carmelized onions and earth balance!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/veganmadre/DSC00761.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/veganmadre/DSC00765.jpg

so its been a week, and today I went shopping and bought more of basically the same stuff, but I also picked up some long grain brown rice and some red kidney beans and black beans.. I know nothing about bean or grain varieties, so I'm wondering if those which I bought was good? I'm sure they'll taste fine.

picked up more brussels, beats, spinache, brocolli, sweet potatoes, bananas, apples, greenbeans, almonds.

I found out when you eat beats, your pee and poo changes color. fun stuff.

I like to cook up a bunch of the brown rice and put it in the frig. It will keep for three or four days. I just throw some cold rice in with the veggies when I stirfry/saute. Red kidney beans cook pretty well, just make sure you catch them before they overcook (mushy kidneys are not very pretty). Sometimes I cook them al dente (about 45 to 60 minutes), turn the water off and let them sit awhile longer in the hot water till they are just tender. My experience with black beans is they take a long time to cook! I also like to cook them with seaweed (kombu is best cause it is so big and easy to remove after cooking) for easier digestion. I also cook alot of beans at once and use them thru out the week. If you put them in the container when they are steaming hot, the bacteria doesn't make them go stinky real fast and can last for three or four days.

Next time try some garbanzo beans/chick peas! They are the sweetest bean I think (hummus!). Lentils are alot easier to cook too (25 minutes tops) and you can make burgers and soups.

thanks for the tips, gaia.

I cooked/soaked all my red kidney beans today and also did some rice.

I never did this before, and was surprised at how much the beans expanded. It was like a huge bowl full of beans.

chick peas is something i want to try, so i'll be sure to check for those next time.

I bought a bunch of stuff today:

spinache

almonds

kale

lentils

black beans

lima beans

chick peas

brown rice

2lb carrots

brocolli

beats

grapes

brussels

sweet potatoes

green beans

bunches of apples

nectarines

18 bananas

yum

i'll try to remember to take some pictures of my adventures with legumes

thanks, yeah I need to focus on basics before I try anything fancy.

the beans I bought were on sale and only a dollar for two pounds. I never realized how cheap they are considering how much food you get out of it..

the beans I bought were on sale and only a dollar for two pounds. I never realized how cheap they are considering how much food you get out of it..

Yeah, people sometimes say it must be expensive to be vegan. It can be, but non-vegan foods can be expensive too. You can live cheaply and still eat well very well as a vegan.

Yeah, people sometimes say it must be expensive to be vegan. It can be, but non-vegan foods can be expensive too. You can live cheaply and still eat well very well as a vegan.

Yes you can. I plan on getting some of my friends on a more plant-based diet when we move into an apartment together. They will be looking for cheap foods and beans and whole grains are perfect. One is a vegetarian looking to become vegan someday; I hope to help him make the leap.

If you do want to get fancy (or what to do with leftover rice and beans):

Heat a little olive oil/or whatever vegetable oil you have in a pan. Cut up some onions and move them around a little bit. Throw in some cumin, and maybe any peppery stuff (cayenne, dried red pepper flakes) and move them around. Then throw in the rice to soak up all the flavored infused oil. Then add the beans that have had a pinch of salt to season them with. Mix it all up and then throw on some diced sweet peppers and chopped up cilantro, and turn off the heat. Let the sweet peppers and cilantro wilt a little, and that is my beans and rice recipe.

cooked up some black beans and shtuff..

I didn't eat all of the beans, but I think I ate like over 1000 callories or something.

http://www.finalredemption.com/stuff/blackbeans.jpg

Just Sunday night, I had a snack/dinner just like this. OK, so I didn't have the beans or rice but I did have two bowls full of steamed carrots and brussels with a tiny bit of earth balance and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast! The black beans and rice really top off the meal! Looks incredible!

If you do want to get fancy (or what to do with leftover rice and beans):

Heat a little olive oil/or whatever vegetable oil you have in a pan. Cut up some onions and move them around a little bit. Throw in some cumin, and maybe any peppery stuff (cayenne, dried red pepper flakes) and move them around. Then throw in the rice to soak up all the flavored infused oil. Then add the beans that have had a pinch of salt to season them with. Mix it all up and then throw on some diced sweet peppers and chopped up cilantro, and turn off the heat. Let the sweet peppers and cilantro wilt a little, and that is my beans and rice recipe.

Great idea Gaia, it is "fancy" but still very affordable. Kon, if you are shopping for spices like cumin, skip your local grocery or health food store. You'll pay a fortune for a tiny amount. Find an Indian or Pakistani grocery, you'll find giant bags of most spices for a dollar or two.

thanks for the tips..

gaia, that sounds like a good idea, I think I have some curry powder stuff, do you think that would work?

I had some chickpeas after my workout today:

http://www.finalredemption.com/stuff/chickpeas.jpg

I only ate like a cup of them so far, and my mom came a stole some too

but I still have a lot left.

This is like my first time every eating chick peas, and they taste pretty good I think. kinda like nuts but not as hard..

I like chickpea salad the best. I just cut up celery, shreds some carrots, and dice up a sweet bell pepper and add it to the chickpeas. I then add some of my favorite vinegarette dressing (or sprinkle lemon juice/favorite vinegar on the chickpeas, then add some olive oil till coated, and then add the cut up vegetables with some Italian seasonings) and toss. If you can let it marinate for an hour or so in the frig, the flavors go into the chickpeas.

my abdomin feels bulky..

I'm finding it that I'm eating like all the time almost, which is different from what I use to be doing. And having bowls of beans ready to be eaten at any time helps.

yesterday I went shopping and picked up some more foods

This time I got a pound of split peas, i'm going to try and get something different/new each week. I'll get a pic of that up whenever i cook those..

on a side note, I had a dream last night where I was shopping in a food store and there was a bunch of people from this forum all together shopping and stuff and someone told me to get squash and some sort of pear..

so I dunno what that means..

also,

I'm progressing towards cutting all processed foods.. weekends I eat none, and friday and thursdays have no processed foods either.. soon I will have the rest of the days without any as well..

on those days I only have a little such as half a veggie burger on lettuce..

cooked up a pound of lentils!

http://www.finalredemption.com/stuff/lentils.jpg

they tasted good-o, but not that great when combined with brussels/beets/or carrots, but that is ok, still is good.

http://www.finalredemption.com/stuff/pressurecooker.jpg