Question about drugs...

offense74

What is a drug?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I make a connection between personal freedom and substances. If I am a slave to something it will be harder for me to call myself free.

If I need to have something even though it's not good for me I consider it to be a drug. If I don't need a substance that is dangerous I don't consider it to limit my freedom even though the government says it will.

For example:

* I can easily quit drinking since I'm not addicted to it (I don't need it) but I like to have a beer a few times per year and getting drunk once or twice per year. I'm not a slave under this substance so anyway i choose to stop it all together or not will make zilch for my freedom.

* Quitting salt, sugar and cutting down on fat is much harder and I consider myself to be somewhat of a slave (even though not nearly as bad as most people) under these substances even though the goverment and most people see them as harmless.

So, if you're a straight edgie or otherwise don't use what the government call a drug can you still gobble down 5 litres of coke a day because you need it and still consider yourself to be drug free?

Or to simplify -> what is a drug?

Edited by offense74

To me a drug is something that substantially alters your mindstate or performance. Not quite sure where that fits in your two options.

I can see your point though. I think it's a personal thing, sugar maybe a drug to some, other might not view it this. The government does not play a role in my decisions concerning drugs. From the sXe pov, drugs are anything that fogs your mind, be it by actively altering your mind or by making you want it bad. Over here sXe'ers don't use caffeïne, most of them don't even drink tea.

I agree with your sentiment that needing things that are bad for you makes you less free, but for me it's not really about health. Sure, sugar is bad for you but a little won't hurt significantly. It's when your abusing substances to the level that it gets in the way of things you really want/have to do. In my humble opinion.

(edited to correct poor choice of words)

I would only like to add to what has been said since I think you guys are right on. I think you should clarify needing a substance. You might have a dependence on some drug or even soda as you point out, but actually eating can fire up some of the same pathways as drugs, we need to eat. And what about sex? Its not even a substance but can impact the brain like a drug, and people do get addicted to it. It is a necessary function for the human species to continue (though we do have some artifical means now). I would also wonder if having to prove you are not addicted perhaps is some kind of defense mechanism to cover up an addiction (we dont really need to answer the question since I dont even agree, but just think it over with yourself).

Drugs are whatever alters your brain/nervous system chemistry. They don't have to be of an illegal variety.

Caffeine, alcohol, tobacco cigarrettes, aspirin, tylenol, etc. are all drugs.

I take medications to keep myself sane because I have a medical condition that requires it. You could say I'm addicted, but I'll take that over going to the mental ward (I'm bipolar).

What someone chooses to do with their body is their own personal choice as long as it doesn't harm another. That also could be up for debate in terms of definition.

Really if you look at mental effects many things can be drugs for people. Certain foods make me extremely happy the same way anti depressants do for someone else...I don't think its just because I like the food there has gotta be some type of physiological response to keep me going at it...same with excersize...I'm terribly addicted and cannot stop no matter how bad I feel.