GI problems and raw

ljk11

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

I have the world's worst digestive system. intuitively I'd think eating raw food would be difficult since things are fibrous and not 'mushed up' in cooking...

Does anyone have insight on this?

What do you mean the world's worst digestive system, do you have digestive issues or just digest food slow???

I used to digest cooked food real slow and it was getting slower up until I went Fruitarian then it got much much better in fact it went into over drive!

You'd be amazed at how energy is spent digesting cooked foods and how much better your digestive system operates when you give it the right/proper materials!

Juicing and Blending.

Juicing provides more nourishment for your body that anything else.

There are also thousands of varieties of smoothies you can make,

they are great for breakfast!

Raw foods are actually immensely easier for your body to digest

than cooked food, because all digestive enzymes are intact.

Your body is able to spend it's digestive energy elsewere,

and even more so when you're juice fasting, etc.

You will run into problems if you overeat and gorge yourself on nuts.

Juicing and Blending.

Juicing provides more nourishment for your body that anything else.

There are also thousands of varieties of smoothies you can make,

they are great for breakfast!

Raw foods are actually immensely easier for your body to digest

than cooked food, because all digestive enzymes are intact.

Your body is able to spend it's digestive energy elsewere,

and even more so when you're juice fasting, etc.

You will run into problems if you overeat and gorge yourself on nuts.

Juicing is cool and all but not ideal as a great deal of what we really need from the produce is lost in the process of juicing.

Hi there,

I have the world's worst digestive system. intuitively I'd think eating raw food would be difficult since things are fibrous and not 'mushed up' in cooking...

Also your system may not function properly for a while when you first go raw as you may have to go through an adjustment period depending on the condition of your colon.

Personally I think juicing is good for a boost of immediate energy(say for a short race or something) but overall if you don't need a spike for training or anything I really think you get pretty much everything by eating whole foods(just a bit slower)...sure maybe smoothies are better since people rarely chew as much as they should(I know I'm guilty)

Hi there,

I thought I had the world's worst digestive system! I'm actually experimenting right now to try to find some things that help. I don't actually know if it is my "digestive system" but I just tend to get gassy and bloated and have and upset stomach a lot of the time. I don't like it at all and I'm trying to pin point which foods are causing the issues.

I don't eat much soy anymore at all, and now I've been RAW for a couple of days and might try to just eliminate all common allergens and see if that helps. I don't plan on staying 100% but I can see myself at 75% RAW and still compete in bodybuilding.

I hope you get your stomach or digestive issues sorted out. I know how you feel. I think some sort of short cleanse, just a day or two may help as well. I also heard fasting, even 1 day a week can be beneficial.

by world's worst system, I meant (I didn't want to be graphic):

-that I have horrible gas almost 24/7 along with cramps, bloating, etc.

-that I am either constipated or experiencing diarrhea pretty much every day

-that I just don't have a normal digestive process from the looks of it.

I've been on a specific diet for a year that helps SOMEWHAT but no miracles.

Tried every supplement in the freaking book and have seen many a doctor...and natural health practitioner.

Can you say frustrating ??

Yeah, I eat only whole foods that I prepare myself ... no grains (specific carb. diet), no eggs (too much gas), no dairy (death wish)...no soy...

ljk11, I hada the same exact problem.

Then I took an extensive food allergy test and found out I had many many food allergies. Once I eliminated all of those foods (even things like garlic. I never heard of anyone being allergic to garlic)

everything became better.

So I would recommend an extensive food allergy test.

by world's worst system, I meant (I didn't want to be graphic):

-that I have horrible gas almost 24/7 along with cramps, bloating, etc.

-that I am either constipated or experiencing diarrhea pretty much every day

-that I just don't have a normal digestive process from the looks of it.

I know how you feel. The reason I've become mostly raw (over the past week) is because of gas/bloating and bad digestive problems. I've posted a similar question and people have responded with doing an elimination diet. Something I'm starting now. I think Soy was giving me gas 24/7. Since I've stopped consuming it the gas has mostly gone away. It's amazing. I've also realized that onions, garlic and certain types of nuts can give me problems too. Bodies are so strange.

Then I took an extensive food allergy test and found out I had many many food allergies. Once I eliminated all of those foods (even things like garlic. I never heard of anyone being allergic to garlic)

I have had some food allergy tests. I had to do an elimination diet to test for what COULD be an allergy (apparently a lot of false positives come up). I determined that I needed to cut out eggs, raw fruit for sure.

Right now all I pretty much eat is cooked carrots, cooked squash, cooked spinach, some nut butters once in a while and (not vegan, sorry) - tuna and chicken. That's it.

Anything else is for sure a disaster...

the specific carb. diet seemed to be helping for a while but for now, things seem as horrible as ever.

I don't want to eat since I have no appetite and feel like garbage when I do. But I'm losing weight and have no energy...as someone who loves to work out and be active, this is a frustrating situation in which to be. I'm 5' 6.5" and weigh about 110 right now. Yes, gross.

what sorts of tests did you do?I've tried both MD and naturopathic types of test.

Wow, I had no idea what you were experiencing. That is worse than me and I hope you get it sorted out soon.

I am also surprised to hear how many people have bloating, gas or some other stomach issues. I don't know what that seems to happen commonly on a plant-based diet. I know that it doesn't happen to all of us. I chatted with Brendan Brazier about my stomach issues and he doesn't have any of those problems, not even slightly. So now I'm eating more like him I'm on day #3 of being 98%-100% raw and it's working pretty well. Brendan is about 90% raw and eats unique and great foods.

Being vegan for about 12 years now I've had times wtih more gas and bloating and upset stomach than others. Some periods I didn't feel like I was that bothered, but lately I have been. More so in the past 6 months than seemingly ever before and I may have some allergies that recently developed. I'm staying away from soy and gluten for a while to see what happens.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of the time I feel great, as many of you know. I just get bloated easily from certain foods and it's annoying/frustrating.

All the best with all of you. I'd say to continue to experiment and eliminate certain things from the diet. Be well!

I've been pretty much in GI hell, daily, for the most part for 9 years! It is at best, inconvenient and at worst, painful and spooky!!

And vegan or not (I did a stint) - does not seem to matter. The lentils and beans are actually pretty intolerable....

ljk11,

you may also be allergic to certian beans. I know I am.

My DC actaully got to the bottom of all of my distress.

It was a $200 test and it gets sent to a lab in Washington state for analysis. Suppose to be the best in the country. I know it found so many things I am allergic to and like I said since i have eliminated them I feel like a different person. I can try to track down the lab fo ryou if you are interested.

You may also want to observe food combiining rules. Poor food combining will also coause GI distress in many individuals.

If you get a chance to talk to Brendan Brazier while he's in your area, you should. He has a lot of good advice on nutrition and how the body responds to certain foods and he has helped a lot of people.

Sorry to hear you have such problems. I can only imagine. Mine stomach issues are very small in comparisson.

I hope things improve soon. Take care.