New song i'm working on

Good tune! I like the idea - and the recording gets the point across surprisingly well given the low-tech production . And it's funny that you say the word "melancholy" because I was thinking that if I were to describe the song, I might say it's "jolly melancholy".

I think there is a pretty strong emotional thread running through most of the song, especially in the chorus ("sick of writing sad songs..."). Your voice is really affective and at its best when you have that emotion in it.

Towards the end of the verses you go into a higher range and you lose that emotional edge a bit. I like those high notes and the way the melody builds towards them, but if I could offer one piece of constructive criticism, I'd suggest that you just try to inject a bit more feeling into those high notes - maybe just by having a bit more breath in them or putting a little bluesy twang on them like you do with a couple of the notes near the end of the chorus and in the break ("make it through the day/pain...go away").

I really do like the song. Neat and soulful at the same time. Keep 'em coming!

thanks michelle, and thanks for all the constructive criticism finn! it's still a work in progress so i really appreciate it. I'll do some work on my vocals. If you want to check out some more of my music you can click on the link in my signature, and hopefully i'll finish some new stuff sometime soon.