Essay for assistance with Vegan Vacation Expenses

robert

I will send out a mass e-mail about this since it's a pretty big deal, but I wanted to post it here ASAP.

Essay for assistance with Vegan Vacation Expenses

With the Vegan Vacation approaching, we’re taking steps to generate funds to assist participants with travel and expenses. These opportunities for assistance are open to anyone, whether you’ve confirmed your trip or are still considering attending this year’s Vegan Vacation gathering in Portland, OR July 28th-August 6th.

We will be accepting applications immediately for those interested in writing an essay explaining why you should receive assistance from the funds we have available for this purpose. We have raised money and have also received donated air miles for flights and may have sponsorship opportunities as well.

The organizers of this event (forum names: robert, xdarthveganx, loveliberate, and Michelle) will make the decisions to see where the money and flight miles are used.

Please answer the following questions in your essay and submit your essay to [email protected] immediately. The deadline for submission of completed essay is June 15, 2007.

1. Why should you receive assistance with traveling and/or expenses for this year’s Vegan Vacation?

2. How much assistance would you need to make this trip possible? (A free flight, $100, waived housing fee of approx. $140, etc.) Please clarify exactly what your assistance needs are.

3. What is the minimum support you need to make this trip possible?

4. Would you be willing to take on some tasks during Vegan Vacation in exchange for traveling assistance? (Washing dishes, cleaning, driving, distributing flyers, etc.)

5. What dates are you wishing or planning to attend? The event is from July 28th-August 6th. The dates of July 28th-August 1st are held at a Vacation Home on the Oregon Coast (Approx. $35 per person per night). The dates of August 1st-August 6th are in Portland, OR staying at forum member homes (free housing from our more than two dozen host forum members in the Portland area). Please specify.

6. Is there anything else you’d like to add or mention?

Thank you, and please submit application/essay to [email protected] by June 15th and the sooner the better is appreciated by the organizers of the 2007 Vegan Vacation. Please confirm that your essay has been received if you do not get a confirmation e-mail from us.

The Vegan Vacation Planning Committee

The Vegan Vacation is a non-profit community building event sponsored by Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness (www.veganbodybuilding.com).

I could attend.

I only need like... $1500.

I'll have a talk with God tonight, asking if he has reconsidered my proposal about letting me doo-doo some presidents for a while.

Yeah, that would be fun...

Stay in the states until the time comes, and you can hide in my suitcase and go out there with me.

Thanks to those who have been submitting essays. We'll do the best we can with fundraising, but remember, it's just a small team of us doing it. We wish we would have had more help since it's a community building non-profit event.

Just to clarify as well, we would have offerred this a long time ago, but we just recently got some things donated (such as flight miles) that we didn't have weeks or months ago. We also just started doing the fundraising and collecting money from selling our own personal items, because we were too busy earlier (especially me).

Thanks again for all those who are supporting us. Thanks for understanding the amount of work and organization that goes into something like this.

Thanks for your participation and excitement and enthusiasm for this event!

There is still time to help us fundraise. Please look into your own communities for ways of fundraising, getting donations, etc. and contact xdarthveganx or myself to send the funds or any forum of contribution.

Thanks!

I could attend.

I'll have a talk with God tonight, asking if he has reconsidered my proposal about letting me doo-doo some presidents for a while.

Stay in the states until the time comes, and you can hide in my suitcase and go out there with me.

Ooooh, an advanced type of hide and seek eh? Just don't forget them airholes. See, I'm quite fond of air...

I could attend.

Ooooh, an advanced type of hide and seek eh? Just don't forget them airholes. See, I'm quite fond of air...

oh come on, air is overrated. haha

What Robert wrote reminds me - has anyone outside of our Portland crew been doing fundraising? It would be great if everyone who can do so would help make sure that as many folks as possible can come out for VV07.

Please consider sponsoring a person or activity, donating cash or items to be sold and/or doing fundraising activities such as benefit movie nights, music shows, dinner party's, yardsales, bake sales, etc - every little bit helps!

What Robert wrote reminds me - has anyone outside of our Portland crew been doing fundraising? It would be great if everyone who can do so would help make sure that as many folks as possible can come out for VV07.

Please consider sponsoring a person or activity, donating cash or items to be sold and/or doing fundraising activities such as benefit movie nights, music shows, dinner party's, yardsales, bake sales, etc - every little bit helps!

Do you want me to dress up like a girl scout and sell you delicatobolls? Me thinks it would be lucrative....

We will do what we can to help as many people as possible. With Lotus and loveliberate as the main people in charge of fundraising, along with myself, I'm confident we'll be able to raise significant funds.

As loveliberate and I have mentioned many times, this is a non-profit community building event and we'd love to see others do some fundraising too. It will be an amazing time and we appreciate any and all support.

Thanks!

Again, we didn't have the ability to assist others until recently when some surpise donations came in. Next year we'll start fundraising 6-8 months in advance and maybe we'll all go to Hawaii....serioiusly...we're considering going there for next year based on a potential sponsor

• 2 weeks later...

If I can pick a fresh pineapple, I'm so up for going there.

You can pick all the pineapple you want from the Dole fields...only thing is that you'll need to pay a $500 fine for every single one you get caught stealing.

• 2 weeks later...

This is CLOSED and we have selected our recipients to recieve assistance for travel to the Vegan Vacation.

We were only able to assist 2 individuals based on our resources and we're still working to continue to fundraise to continue to make this Vegan Vacation as afforadable as we can for everyone involved.

I'm behind on things but I'll try to send out e-mails soon to those who sent in essays.

Thanks!

-Robert

Thanks for the update Robert, I had not heard from you about the outcome after we reviewed the essays. Congratualtions to those who will be receiving help getting here. I hope we can get more folks here who would like to come but don't have all the resources to do so. I am in the same boat! If VV were not happening here, I could not go!

Sorry for being behind on updates. I guess I thought I had sent them or verbally mentioned something to loveliberate. I'm having a hard time updating everyone and some decisions I'm just making quickly in order to effectively work with those who are making donations and contributions and things like that.

I really would like to do something at Oaks Park so I'll look into that and update our intinerary soon.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Everything is falling into place. The vacation home has been paid for, the house is nearly full, the community of Portland is starting to get excited about it and we will do more fundraising before and during the Vegan Vacation to help support the costs of this event.