Nutshell - Oh My God it's Amazing!

gkleinman

If you are in Portland, or within a few hundred miles of Portland there's a reason to hop in your car/ on your bike or get on your feet. I just got back from dinner at the new all Vegan restaurant on N Williams called Nutshell.

Simply AMAZING!!

I talked a bit with Sean the owner/chef and he said they are planning to do on site vegan pizzas and more!

Here's some info:

http://www.extramsg.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2631

http://www.altportland.com/eatdrink/food/foodn/nutshell.shtml

Dude, I've heard nothing but GREAT things about this place! I have some vegan friends who have been there, "every day"!

I will go soon, especially since it is just down the road from me (lucky me!).

I know they just opened a couple of weeks ago and I'm really pleased to hear all the great feedback! Another ALL VEGAN restaurant opens up later this month or early next month on NE 11th and Alberta...about a 10 minute walk from my house........I know.......lucky me again

Thanks for the info about Nutshell. I'll be there soon!

Michelle of the herbivore store http://www.herbivoreclothing.com/index.html highyly recommned that i eat at nuthshell when i was in portland earlier this week and I'm glad she did IT WAS DELISH i got..

Poblano-sorrel fundido with hundred grain flatbread

Salad Micro w/Pink peppercorn dressing

Shot of Soup- Creamy French lettuce & chervil with lemon, served chilled

Stew- Locro de verduras - Argentine highland grain stew with hominy, stewed grains, peaches, native potatoes, market vegetables & fried plantains, seasoned with cumin and cayenne

Pone - Jamaican coconut corn pudding with nutmeg, raisins, grilled pineapple, passion fruit butter, brown sugar sherbet

ended up being 29 dollars for just myself, but then again i went overboard but it was alllll sooooo gooooddd!

but there is definetly cheaper ways to do things ( no appetizer or salad or shot of soup or desssert , probably just go for one of the larger entrees and your about 11-13? and youlll be full)

note -=CASH ONLYY

The Jamaican Barbecue dish was incredible and the salt/oil/bread appetizers is one of the most creative things I've ever seen, despite it being extremely simple. Then to top it off I got some type of chocolate torte which was incredible.

I was there tonight with my family. The bill was over $100 for 5 of us but it was some of the best tasting food I've had......ever. It really is amazing.

I can't always afford to go there. Tonight my family paid for me so I ate as much as I wanted and ate whatever they couldn't finish

Really great stuff over there. Super high quality with a special focus on unique flavors and textures and presentation.

Check it out sometime!

I was there tonight with my family. The bill was over $100 for 5 of us but it was some of the best tasting food I've had......ever. It really is amazing.

I can't always afford to go there. Tonight my family paid for me so I ate as much as I wanted and ate whatever they couldn't finish

Really great stuff over there. Super high quality with a special focus on unique flavors and textures and presentation.

Check it out sometime!

Eating like a bodybuilder again, Rob?

I'm certainly crapping like a bodybuilder! Yeah, I'm trying to eat a ton now. I'm still low on funds, but I'm making it work and I'm consuming more than I was a few weeks ago.

Hint hint: Jobs at produce stands help your total cost of food.

Once I get out to Portland, I'll make you my line of "kidney straining" high protein soups.

I was thinking about that the other day

I don't want to go overboard on the ads, but they do serve their role well and they are quite interesting and can be very helpful.

300x250 = Bigger and Better Vegan Vacations and other Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness sponsored events.

Nearly everything I take in (from any source of income) I put right back into Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness and building community. That's just how I roll.

Thanks for the heads up

Special ps to LL - there was a sign down the road on division a while ago or maybe it was clinton and the sign originally said "workers ahead" or something like that and someone added the word 'gentrification' above the word workers. They were putting up condos.

• 2 weeks later...

We finally went last night. It was the most sophisticated vegan meal we've had in an all veg restaurant in Portland. And the price was very nice. We had dinner for 2, four courses and a bottle of wine - all for $61. There's no way we could have done that back in New York.

While the setting is not the best, it's okay, sorta industrial meets I-don't-know-what. The kitchen still has some kinks to work out but the menu was obviously prepared by a professional. While I could easily prepare most of the vegan meals we eat in restaurants, this food was true gourmet restaurant quality. Exactly the type of food I feel good about paying for! The desserts, many times an after thought or made outside of restaurants, were also great. The cookie plate is not your average, run-of-the-mill cookies. One had basil as an ingredient and another was made with lavender - all of them were wonderful. The maple chocolate torte reminded me of an omni flourless chocolate cake - dense, smooth and very rich.

Word is definitely spreading because there was a waiting line by 7 pm on Tuesday. We'll be back but not on a weekend.

Great review DV!!!

I've been there twice now and I'm telling others that it is the best tasting food in Portland! No offense to Blossoming Lotus who did have that title in my mind, but your summary pretty much says it all! There is so much thought put into this food, and it is erupting with flavors and exotic ingredients! From the edible flowers to the presentation, this place rocks the house!

No soy or "substitutes" just really high quality, well planned out menu items.

I don't like their "cash only" policy, but I'll get used to it, or with enough pressure, they'll change it.

Eat Well and Nutshell

Yeah...I hate the cash only thing too. I wouldn't mind it so much if they were against credit card companies like my buddies place in Baltimore but they aren't. They have no problem making money off your credit cards with the machine they own themselves. So instead the credit company gets what they want and Nutshell gets more than what the menu says. There are two middle eastern places in Richmond that do this too and it stinks. Nicolas doesn't do credit but I don't mind so much because they don't have their own machine.

Hey, it's the way of the financial world and we all need to make money where we can. While I was eating dessert last night, I looked at my husband and said that I didn't know how Nutshell was even making much of a profit off the chocolate torte. My ex was a CIA trained chef and manager so I got a lot of the business end of things (plus my 10 years in the restaurant business). Most people do NOT get rich preparing food and many restaurants fold before they ever turn a profit. I only hope that this city can support a moderately priced vegan restaurant.