Hello hello

Squiggly

Hey all! I was shown this site by a friend in a roundabout sort of way and thought that it had some really good info on it. My name's actually Shannon; Squiggly's a sort of personal joke name that has become something of my identity online. Anyways, I've only been vegan since May of this year but am loving it, despite the difficulties sometimes. I became vegan for three specific reasons:

1) I do not believe animals were created to be treated as machines and commodities, as unfeeling beings. As such, I will eat meat that has been hunted (legally, of course) or if I can see how the animal is raised and killed. Life is cyclical and in nature there is death. I believe that humans are part of that cycle but with our industrial farming techniques we have bastardized it, much to our own disadvantages. If an animal is raised and killed ethically, both environmentally and humanely, I will eat it. Same goes for milk and eggs. But if I do not know where it came from, then I do not partake.

2) The environmental effects of raising animals the way agricultural corporations do are horrendous and I do not wish to be part of that destructive machine. I do recognize that the growth of produce is just as harmful and I try to buy locally and organic as much as possible, though doing so is difficult as I'm a student on a low budget.

3) My personal health in general has greatly increased as a result of my change in diet. I feel so much better than I used to and my brother, a personal trainer, commented on the fact that I seem much more vibrant and energetic than I used to be even though I was just as active before becoming vegan.

Basically I joined the site in order to find a community of people who shared my interests and ideas and who could help me out with any dietary/fitness problems I ever encounter.

I'm not too new to fitness, as I've been a runner for three years and enjoy working out, but I'm interested in what I can do better and in seeing what others are doing as well.

Welcome! Great to see another Oregonian too! Thanks for finding our group and for posting an introduction. I hope you enjoy your time on the forum and I hope you get to know a bunch of people in the area.

Have fun and welcome aboard!

Hi Squiggly!!!

We have a lot in common. I turned veg for the same reasons. I think you'll find that eventually you will loose your taste for meat, cheese, and eggs and will honestly be able to tell people you just don't like it, that's where I'm at now! Great to see another runner here too- Welcome!

Welcome Squiggly...when I came here I had the same reasons as you in that order with a similar athletic background. I hope you find your place here the way I did