Seeking meal suggestions...

Due to an under active thyroid I try to keep soy intake to a minimum. I would love to read some suggestions about healthy protein packed meals for a gal on the go. I do grab a piece of fruit and/or a handful of nuts on the fly, but that only gets me so far. Ideally, I would like to keep fat low, protein and carbs moderate. In the evening I can spend a little extra time in the kitchen, but it is never ideal. At night I make a green juice as a night cap and add protein powder into that. Also, I always keep a 1lb container of salad in the fridge. I pick one up from Whole Foods or Costco every week, so any great salad suggestions are welcomed too.

Thanks for helping a gal out. I would go to vegweb.com, but that place always makes me want to bake a pie or muffins.

Another Tall Order.

So you need:

No Soy Products

Fast and Convenient

Low Carb

High Protein

Low Fat

That's alot of constraints.

My suggestions are a green leaf salad with Seitan, red peppers, small amount of olive or flax oil and vinegar

or

A Hemp or Pea Protein Shake prepared in advance in a container to take with you, with a side salad or fruit.

Those would be my choices given your limitations. Good luck

Another Tall Order.

So you need:

No Soy Products

Fast and Convenient

Low Carb

High Protein

Low Fat

That's alot of constraints.

My suggestions are a green leaf salad with Seitan, red peppers, small amount of olive or flax oil and vinegar

or

A Hemp or Pea Protein Shake prepared in advance in a container to take with you, with a side salad or fruit.

Those would be my choices given your limitations. Good luck

Thanks, I will be adding this to my school lunch! and for the record, I never said low carb. "moderate startch and protein" This sista needs her carbs! I just need some ideas outside a bowl of pasta or oatmeal.

Something with a little extra protein boost, but without the the soy. If I keep eating that, I may end up with a goiter the size of New England.

• 2 weeks later...
Gemma protein powder and rice powder, hemp powder. Plus some fruit. Of course there are other things to eat but why bother.

This is pretty much the story of my life right now. I swear, my next door neighbors are probably convinced Im a full blown alcoholic blending margaritas all day long because that blender NEVER STOPS morning to night

• 4 months later...

Lindsay,

I see what you're looking for. I don't personally like those types of plans unless they take into consideration what's in season (fruits and vegetables) and what I like to eat. I also find most of them to be so lacking in micronutrients that I wouldn't suggest anyone follow them for long.

Tofu can always substitute for eggs and soy, rice or pea protein for whey or egg protein powders.

Keep in mind that even on 2000 calories of the most perfect diet, a woman barely meats the minimal RDI for vitamins and minerals. Eating that little food means you are far from the optimal. Exercising, pollution, stress, etc. increases your needs for certain nutrients so the RDI is way too low anyway. And I don't see where these plans address essential fatty acids. If you are going to eat so little, please look into vitamin, mineral and omega 3 fatty acid supplementation (it's almost impossible to get too little omega 6 as a vegan unless you are eating a very, very low fat diet).

I wish I could point you to the diet plan that you want. Unfortunately, I can't as I haven't seen a healthy one yet, IMO.

ThanksDV.

The ones I'm referring to are like this (but, I want a vegan one, of course):

Meal One:

1/2 cup oats

6 egg whites

Meal two:

Protein Shake

Meal three:

4 oz chix breast

1 c. broccoli

etc ... etc ...

meal one:

scrambled (low fat) tofu and some whole wheat bread

meal two:

protein shake

meal three:

TVP chunks with broccoli

I would love to read some suggestions about healthy protein packed meals for a gal on the go.

Lately I've been making a quick and delicious dish you might like: lentil, bean, and chopped veggie salad. I've been soaking lentils overnight and then boiling them for just a couple of minutes to soften them a little. I also cook beans from scratch sometimes. But you could buy them in cans and save time.

Throw the lentils and beans (kidney and garbanzo work well) into a big mixing bowl. Add some chopped carrots and celery. Finely chopped kale is good too--the lacinto variety is good raw. Add a few dashes of brewer's yeast and a few splashes of Bragg's Amino Acids, and some cumin and cayenne. Drizzle some flax oil. Mix it all up and eat. It's damn good, and you can make a big batch to enjoy over a few days.

This recipe might seem complicated if the ingredients are unfamiliar at all, but it really is very easy.

ThanksDV.

The ones I'm referring to are like this (but, I want a vegan one, of course):

Meal One:

1/2 cup oats

6 egg whites

Meal two:

Protein Shake

Meal three:

4 oz chix breast

1 c. broccoli

etc ... etc ...

You my be able to get away with finding one you like and substituting the meats for Seitan, Tempeh, High Protein Tofu or Vegan Protein Powder. Add at least two very large servings of greens and it could probably be modified decently.

If you feel very hungry on it, add 1 to 2 fruit servings if they aren't on the plan already.

All I can say is that I did this for along time (modifying a fitness model omni plan to a Vegan one) before hiring a Dietitian/Trainer to design one specifically for my age, height, weight, gender and activity level and it was a night and day difference in my physique

Wow!

Thanks for all the replies to this thread!

Great input from all ... and I hear y'all clearly ...

I try to stay away from too much tofu, tvp, seitan ... and stick with whole foods (so my protein becomes legumes and more legumes, leafy greens/broccoli, small amounts of nuts)... but, I guess I was just looking for something easy that would inspire me.

And you guys did - so thanks again ... I'll be trying the lentil salad soon!