New to Forum

bcetiger24

Hi all-

I am an ex college football player and powerlifter that has adopted a quasi-vegan/vegeterian lifestyle over the last 15 months or so. I used to be about 215 pounds with very low bodyfat, but I was eating tons of meat and dairy and really felt unbalanced physically and emotionally.

Over the last year +, I have cut out all red meat and poultry (eat fish occasionally), almost never have dairy (tough to kick it fully), only eat organic, etc... and the impacts on my life have been extremely positive. However, ror whatever reason (probably more to do with lifestyle than the diet) I haven't been working out as consistently and I have gained some weight and fat and am not nearly as strong as I used to be.

Anyway, this is a great website and I am looking forward to perusing the forum for nutritional tips, namely getting bodybuilding type nutrition without eating meat and dairy... and as far as the working out side, I just need to get my but in gear. I hope I can add some insight for everyone on the weight lifting side.

Welcome to the group! I think we have a couple of forum football players here and some current powerlifters so you'll find things in common with people right away.

Thanks for joining our forum and we hope you enjoy it here. All the best and welcome aboard!!

Wow, great school! So I hear. Awesome stuff. I wish I would have done a college sport. I ran x-country for OSU for one season but that's it. 5 high school sports though.

Did you do any powerlifting in contests or as a form of training or as a hobby?

We have some powerlifters here too.

My stepfather got me into weight training at 14 and he was a powerlifter... I dominated a few teenage contests but never competed after that (a regret). Powerlifting became my main staple for training for football and for bodybuilding. In college, I was squatting in the mid to high 600s and was benching around 420.

My lifts are probably 60% of what they once were now. I think some is the result of the diet and some is the result of my general laziness recently. I would like to get some of my strength back although I know I will never be where I was in college, nor would I want to be because of the pressure on my joints. Not sure doing a 600 pound squat will have any health benefits for me whatsoever.

There's no reason you can't get back to where you were in college. Granted it wouldn't be healthy but you could get there. I know for a fact if I gave up cycling and started eating like I used to I'd be squatting 500 again in a year or so. I'd put on lots of fat but I'd be able to do it and if I chose too I could cut weight after I got the strength. If you don't want to do that then don't...you'll be healthier for it but your still relatively young and can come back if you really wanted to. I was squatting 600 and benching 390 when I was 19(all as a vegan). I quit throwing(oddly enough one of my biggest setbacks in my carreer was an injury I got throwing at Princeton under the track) the shot for two years and came back really weak but in less a year I was squatting 500 again and benching 340. I could have done much more if lifting was my goal but getting technique back was my intension. If you try to come back and don't need to do all the out of gym training associated with football you should be able to get back so long as your motivated enough to do so.[/u]

Thanks for coming to the forum. I hope you find it helpful. Your diet could be part of the problem but I also wonder about exhaustion. Can we continue to lift for decades and make gains? I was at my best on a vegan diet, but i've gotten tired over the years. Lack of balance in my diet, little rest, stress from work/school. It all seems to take a toll. I'm also not as driven. I hope to read about your improvements though, if thats what you are going for.

• 5 weeks later...