Vegan Wine

DV

We drink a bit of wine in our family and finding vegan labeled wine is rare. However, finding vegan wine is easier than most people think and there are a lot of them out there. The key is to do your own research.

Most vineyards have a website and some describe the process involved for each of their wines. If you call the vineyards there is always someone who can tell you whether or not certain wines have been fined. Unfortunately, you have to do this for each vintage as the grapes change year to year.

The great thing about purchasing local wine is that you can often meet the winemakers and ask questions directly. We're a bit spoiled that way in Portland but if you buy local (or local to your state/country) it tends to be easier to get answers, as well as being better from an environmental standpoint.

Hey DV...do you know a good vegan wine and vintage thats readily available nationally...lets say in the $30-50 range. I'm looking to buy my sister and her husband some for Christmas. The like Merlot and Pinot Noir the most. I'd like to get them one expensive bottle or a case of 4 bottles that are say $15 each.

Jeremy,

The Ponzi 2005 Pinot Noir is $35 and is very nice. We served it at a recent party. The website is http://www.ponziwines.com/wines/wine.asp?id=80

Another option is the Selena Pinot Noir ($25) although we've only tried the 2005 vintage. http://solenacellars.com/mercantool/mtool.pl?command=productpage_show&product=9

We liked these because they have somewhat of a Burgundian style to them. Some of the Oregon Pinot Noirs are a bit too fruity, heavy or tannic for our tastes. I wish I could suggest some in the $15 range but we haven't tried any really good ones in that price range recently.

Nice present!

yellow tail is my favorite vegan red .... the white i dont think is vegan but red is better for health anyways

there is one other i really love which comes in a box ... brothers something, or something brothers, i dont remember, i'll get the name tomorrow if i can find it ..... yes i said box, i've read they really improved on the box packaging and it makes no difference from bottles.. plus it's organic, so win win

I may go today so I'm gonna see if DV's recommendations are there and if there are any other ones I may right down off the list. If not I may just order it online.

Has anyone here tried Frey Wine??? I unfortunately can't order it online in Maryland but I think I can get it through the distributer. All the wine they make is vegan and they advertise in Veg News all the time. I wish I tried it when I was in Portland but I didn't. I don't think its completely safe to assume the owners are vegan but if they were I'd do my best to support them as much as possible.

Its pretty new and the website has a few "vintages" available. Its hard to call them vintages though if its only from 2002. I know that doesn't really mean old but it seems weird using the word for that purpose with a company that hasn't been around all that long.

Oh, any year can be a vintage - it doesn't have to be old. Some wines or ports are not vintage because they are blended with wines from different harvests. For instance, if a barrel of 2006 pinot noir were blended into a batch of the 2007 harvest then the resulting wine could not have a vintage (ie date) attached. But if only grapes from the 2007 harvest were used then it would be a 2007 Pinot Noir.

I hope that made sense.

I could have sworn this Trader Joe's had wine but I was wrong. Hopefully I'll find something good out here. I'm thinking I may need to go to a distributer though since I can't buy alcohol online in Maryland.