January Cascadia/PNW trip! Suggestions? Want to meet-up?

loveliberate

Hello All!

I'm planning a trip around western Oregon & Washington with the possibility of going as far north as Victoria or Vancouver. I'd love to visit with forum folks & am open to travel partners - Lotus & the kids will not be joining me on this trip. My plan is to start/end in Portland (where I live) & to be out from early Saturday January 12th through late Monday 1/14. I'm driving & probably staying in hostels in Olympia & Port Townsend - with brief visits to Seattle & Tacoma.

I'd love your thoughts on where to go & what to do: I'm looking at the the Oregon coast & the greater Olympic Peninsula/Puget Sound region - but would consider other options. I'm up for visiting multiple places but dont want to spend more than about 3 hours a day traveling. I'd love to hear about cool events, shows & gatherings happening in January! I enjoy visiting cafes & bookstores, eating good (preferably cheap!) food, wandering through neat neighborhoods & towns, walking in forests & along beaches, rivers & such, thrift stores & flea markets, soaking in hot water: springs are ideal, tubs are good too!

So? Whatcha think?

Edited by loveliberate

Hey Love,

I'll give a serious response in due time.........just got home from B.C. and LOVED it!

Jessifly and I also explored parts of Western Washington (we took two ferries last night on the way home). We also stopped in Seattle and met with Ravi.

I know what you mean about not wanting to travel more than 3 hours each day. There is so much to see!

The Coasts and Forests and parts of Washington would be great. A few of my friends (our friends) are interested in this kind of thing.

The traveling bug bit me big time on my way to B.C. and back so we'll be in touch. Even if I'm not available, I'm sure others may be.

You're much more organized than me, so I'm sure you'll see some cool things and cool places!

Well, long massages would be nice...

Robert,

Sounds like ya'll had an awesome trip! I'm still looking at Victoria as a possible destination - in which case I'd probably want to just go there & back without stopping much along the way... Please put folks who are interested in going in touch with me. I hadnt pictured this being a large group adventure (& will probably want some solo time) but that could be a lot of fun too!

The traveling bug hit me many years ago - I rarely go a day without daydreaming about past & future adventures...

Yay Jessi! I look forward to our adventure!

• 2 weeks later...

Loveliberate and Jessifly - you still coming up to the Great White North in Jan? Sorry I couldn't offer any suggestions earlier - we just got back from some extensive travels ourselves. I think Victoria would fit your criteria very well - it's a cool place to walk around/drive around. Downtown is small and has lots of vegan eats (some pretty cheap), vegan tattoos by Gerry at Tattoo Zoo, a couple of vegan clothing stores (not cheap but fun to look at), and some pretty cool vegans who live there (some of whom are on this forum).

Vancouver would also be worth at least a day on your way through, but it's not quite as quaint as Victoria. There are lots of places to eat, altho they're spread out all over the city. There's also okay beaches and walks and some good forests, esp. on the North Shore. Bear in mind that the weather could be pretty crap this time of year, but I'm sure you're well aware of that.

I thought I was going to have lots of free time in January due to the Hollywood writers' strike, but I just today got a Terry Gilliam movie that starts shooting next week so I'll be working a lot. If I'm around we could definitely hook up. Send me a PM or an email before you leave... if your trip is going to bring you up this far.

Trev

The traveling bug hit me many years ago - I rarely go a day without daydreaming about past & future adventures...

Oh, me too! I just got home from a trip a week ago and I'm already daydreaming about what my next one might be. I wish I was able to join you, but I'll just have to enjoy it vicariously after photos are posted.

I've been taking a lot of "vacation time" lately so I don't know if I can join afterall.

I may make my own quick trip up to B.C. sometime soon, but I just added more work/vacation trips to my schedule so I have to cut back a bit.

Have fun!!!!

Trev,

Where all did ya'll travel to? It does not look like Jessi will be up for this trip after all. While I'd love to spend a lot of time just about anywhere in SW Canada, it does not look like Vancouver will be a destination for this trip. There is talk of a PDX crew trip up to VanCity & Whistler next month... Victoria is slightly more likely this time around - but I'm turned off by the fact that there is only 1 ferry each way, each day. If I/we did come up - can anyone put us up for the night?

Tasha,

My trip is scheduled for 12-14 January. I don't see myself making it to VanCity this time - would you be into visiting in Port Angeles and/or Port Townsend? You could even bring that wacky Dave person along if ya like.

Michelle,

I'll see what I can do about photos! Can any PDXers lend me a camera for the trip?

Robert,

Let me know if ya decide for sure either way - I currently have at least 1 seat open.

Dave,

I greatly enjoyed my visit to Victoria a few years back & will most likely make it up there sometime in 2008 - maybe we can visit the place together?

Hey Loveliberate,

Too bad you're not gonna make it up to Van this time around, but it really is nicer in the summer! I'm not a winter sports type tho... I guess the ferry you're referring to is the one from Port Angeles to Victoria? You could also drive to Blaine, WA and cross the border, then drive to the BC Ferries terminal at Tsawassen (a 30 minute drive from the border at most) and take a ferry from there to Victoria. They run every 2 hours from 6 or 7 am until 9 pm. Just an option if you're still looking at Victoria.

As for our travels, we spent the month of December travelling around Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam, then hit Hong Kong for New Year's Eve. It was a really great trip. We're sort of into photography, so that was our major activity while there, plus seeing a lot of the usual sights in those places. I was going to train at a Muay Thai gym in Bangkok for a bit, but I slipped a disc the day we flew (kickboxing the morning of the flight was evidently a bad idea) so I wasn't up for training. We're still putting together an online gallery so that'll be up soon. I'm also going to write up a report/guide on being vegan in S.E. Asia. It wasn't as hard as everyone was trying to tell us it would be. The write-up will be on our website sometime in the next few weeks.

Anyway, keep us posted on your trip - and if you don't make it to Vancouver this time around, hopefully we'll see you up here another time!

love,

I really don't think I can swing it because of all my recent travels that are partly vacation and partly networking like crazy (Ironman and Arnold).

I'd like to, but I just don't think I can take that much time off. I'll let you know for sure soon, but for now, count me out. But I'd love to travel with you in the future for sure!!!

If you go to Victoria you'll probably go through Port Angeles Washington. We have friends there that had a health food store in that town. They have made the store into a vegan store in the middle of nowhere western washington.

I can tell you alot about the area as we lived there for a year. Victoria is awesome.