Good Diet plan for an athlete?

DeanBlas

Hello. Well becoming a vegetarian is one of my new years resolutions. Only thing is I dont know too much about a good diet plan to go along with my Training and competing in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I pretty much train it for 2-3 hours daily sometimes more. Just wondering whats a good diet layout and everything. And what about Protein intake?

This will be easy in Guam. Stick to lots of fruits for energy during training. Before early training sessions make sure you get a decent amount of healthy complex carbs before you train so you won't need to eat during a morning endurance session. After a training session(immediately after if possible) throw down some simple carbs ASAP). Save the protein for later. Try to eat more of your protein a couple hours after your training is done for the day. This is best since your body will be stressed right after training and won't want to break down protein(the hardest thing to digest). You'll probably need to keep protein levels relatively high at first to adjust but not too high. I think you'll find that after a while you'll have even more energy though if you slowly replace that protein with good carbs. After all...protein doesn't give you energy.

I basically agree with veganpotter, but i'd get some protein right after training, along with the carbs.

@veganpotter, can you back your claim that after training the body is to stressed to digest protein? It's the first time I heard anyone say something like this.

Of course your body needs it but you have to give it when it wants it. Think about what you use when you train. If you train hard you're burning off all your stored carbohydrates. What do you think your body wants first??? Also your body is very fatigued and if you train right even your involuntary human functions will slow and weaken temporarily(this means digestion, cardiovascular system and the immune system). It doesn't want any more stress than whats already been put on it. Maybe people disagree with me on not giving protein first but nobody disputes the fact that it takes more work to break down protein than anything else. Also since protein is so hard to break down what does it need to break it down??? You need to replenish your sugar levels so your body has its full capacity to digest protein completely. So I say sugar first...rest...then a regular meal.

I basically agree with veganpotter, but i'd get some protein right after training, along with the carbs.

@veganpotter, can you back your claim that after training the body is to stressed to digest protein? It's the first time I heard anyone say something like this.

I've read quite a variety of articles/studies on this subject and I agree with potter on this one. If I had more time I'd find some articles to link to that would back it up.

Of course your body needs it but you have to give it when it wants it. Think about what you use when you train. If you train hard you're burning off all your stored carbohydrates. What do you think your body wants first??? Also your body is very fatigued and if you train right even your involuntary human functions will slow and weaken temporarily(this means digestion, cardiovascular system and the immune system). It doesn't want any more stress than whats already been put on it. Maybe people disagree with me on not giving protein first but nobody disputes the fact that it takes more work to break down protein than anything else. Also since protein is so hard to break down what does it need to break it down??? You need to replenish your sugar levels so your body has its full capacity to digest protein completely. So I say sugar first...rest...then a regular meal.

I'd agree with you if we were talking about endurance sports.

But during actvities that require strength such as BJJ and weightlifting you'll damage your muscletissue. You need the protein to repair your muscles. Ideally your post-workout meal will be high in protein and have some carbs to, as you say, aid in digestion. The carbs alone are not really essential imho.

Yeah I thought your body needs it. And what can I find protein in ohter then meats? Shakes?> If so do you all suggest any? BTW I see from your Av you do submission Grappling? if so thats awesome!

I train MMA, but right now I'm only competing in Submission Grappling. Do you practice grappling/no-gi bjj?

For the proteinquestion, see veggieprincess' post. Also beans and nuts are a great source of protein.

I'd agree with you if we were talking about endurance sports.

But during actvities that require strength such as BJJ and weightlifting you'll damage your muscletissue. You need the protein to repair your muscles. Ideally your post-workout meal will be high in protein and have some carbs to, as you say, aid in digestion. The carbs alone are not really essential imho.

You do damage more muscle tissue but you still use mostly carbs when training...and your probably more fatigued than I am when you train...what do you think causes that fatigue...its an easy answer...mostly low blood sugar. Of course you need protein to repair..I'm not saying you don't but your body is going through all types of crazy processes right after intense training...why give it another hard process when its wants to relax.

I don't think its a bad idea because its not super high in protein like some drinks. Drinks with 40-60 grams is a bad idea right after training since most if it will just not get absorbed.

Not sure if that's right or not, but it takes a longgggggg time for us to digest our food so it's not necessarily a bad thing to eat more than 20g of protein per hour. Something funny tells me nobody here is eating anywhere near 480g of protein per day.

Ive had more than 400g of protein daily before and ill never do it again! It dehydrated me so bad and gave me the worst headaches at the end of the day. It felt like my brain was just drying out.