xtend

xjohanx

so the xtend is enough for optimal recovery and muscle growth? or should i add carbs?

Here is a quote from their product literature:

...blend of Energy Aminos consisting of the proven 2:1:1 ratio of Branched Chain Amino Acids (L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine and L-Valine), Glutamine, Citrulline Malate, and Vitamin B6

So, basically, the "effective ingredients" are:

- BCAA powder

- L-Glutamine

- Citrulline Malate

- Vitamin B6

It also contains:

Natural And Artificial Flavors, Citric Acid, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Yellow #5, Red #40 (this varies slightly for each flavor)

FYI - Many artificial colors (Red #40 for instance) are derived from coal tar or petroleum!

Red #40 is Banned in EEC (European Economic Community).

Green #3 is Banned in EEC.

Blue #1 is Banned in France and Finland.

Yellow #5 is Banned in Norway.

Yellow #6 is Banned in Norway and Sweden.

Information regarding this is easy to find... A quick google search will yield many topics on the subject. Here is a link I found with just a quick search on the subject:

http://www.feingold.org/Research/dyesinfood.html

I take L-Glutamine and BCAA, as well as multi-vitamins and CEE. By buying these in bulk, I'm able to avoid products that contain a bunch of ingredients that I can do without. All the "effective" ingredients in this product can be ordered individually if you wish to consume them without the added "junk".

-Chris

I think DV and xveganjoshx are really into it and I'm going to get some too

Actually, I think I tried some last week when I trained with DV. It was good stuff.

Ummm, I'm not REALLY into it, but it's good. It's basically just the regular BCAA's you would otherwise buy, but in a better ratio, and flavored. It also has citrulline malate in it, which is supposed to do something or another. I drink it when I work out or after a ride.

It has replaced my normal PW drink and main glutamine source for now. I've only been using it for a little while, I'll see how I feel about it in due time.

so the xtend is enough for optimal recovery and muscle growth? or should i add carbs?

It has nothing to do with replacing any carbs, fat or protein. Consume those as you usually would.

When used during your workouts, its good for strength, recovery and preserving lean muscle -- I also feel that my energy is higher during workout when I take it.

As I've said before I double the amount on the label (so that would be 4 scoops for me) and drink it DURING the workout, not after as it says to do on the jar.

VeggiePrincess is really into it and then I came late to the party. However, I am now really into it.

You can search for mixes that don't contain artificial flavorings or colorings if you are sensitive, as LTV points out. Personally, these things don't bother me. I've removed as many chemicals as possible from my life and am comfortable adding these to it. But then I'm old enough to have eaten lead paint chips in my childhood and survived to tell....

Edited by DV

VeggiePrincess is really into it and then I came late to the party. However, I am now really into it.

You can search for mixes that don't contain artificial flavorings or colorings if you are sensitive, as BeforeWisdom points out. Personally, these things don't bother me. I've removed as many chemicals as possible from my life and am comfortable adding these to it. But then I'm old enough to have eaten lead paint chips in my childhood and survived to tell....

Yep. My diet and lifestyle are so pure, clean boring and healthy that I think my system would go into complete shock if I didn't throw it a tiny amount of artificial flavorings and colorings once a day.... ha, ha.

I've used xtend for two workouts so far and I am not impressed with the results. Before I was drinking about 20 oz of cranberry blend juice (100% juice, no hfcs) and switched to using just xtend.

I find I now get pooped about 30 minutes into the workout, where with the juice I'd keep going strong for at least an hour.

Conceptually it makes sense that the juice keeps my blood sugar up and therefore keeps me going. But regardless xtend says it's supposed to increase endurance and to sip during the workout. Maybe BCAAs + juice would work better than juice alone, but xtend's magic sucralose isn't working on me. I can't see myself consuming both xtend and juice.

I'll still give it another workout or two before I give it up.

People's bodies are different, xtend might work well for others (as claimed). But I figured it's worth me sharing my experience.

hm okay. but yeah you should probably add some carbs to the xtend. i always take dextrose before workouts

Probably but xtend isn't really designed that way. It is flavored, has sucralose, and is damn sweet tasting already. I think I have some dextrose as home I'll try adding for monday. From what I remember the dextrose is fairly unsweet for the amount of carbs in it.

It's not really something to drink to give you energy before or during a workout in the classical sense. It's just branched chain amino's. I take a preworkout drink that has caffeine and lots of other garbage in it, that works, then I do sip some xtend during my workout, and leave about half for after, on the drive home, so I'm getting in some protein before I'm able to make a true shake.

Extend is advertised as and endurance and recovery enhancer. There are many other claims on the back of the container, along with the standard "These claims have not been evaluated by the FDA.............etc."

None of the studies out there are absolutely conclusive. Some people may get a great response and others may have no response. It depends on where you are on the spectrum of response.

I personally use it for muscle recovery and synthesis. I haven't used it during a muscle-sparing, fat loss phase as yet but am hoping that it will help to preserve lean muscle mass.

For energy, I always eat a complex carb and some protein about 30 to 45 minutes before I work out. That seems to keep my energy up.

But the package says endurance enhancer. I need to mix this with sugar.

Also, how much are you taking? For a guy, I think you should be doing at least 6 scoops with no more than about 36 oz of water sipped throughout your workout. Try doing it that way to see if you feel any difference.

I feel that it gives me extra energy and strength during my workouts even though its primary purpose is for recovery and preserving lean muscle.

And just one more small observation... I think you should give it a few weeks before you decide if something is right for you or not rather than just a couple of workouts.

None of the studies out there are absolutely conclusive. Some people may get a great response and others may have no response. It depends on where you are on the spectrum of response.

I know which is exactly why I gave that little disclaimer at the end.