Chia seed so expensive...

Troy

I bookmarked this page a while ago, but haven't ordered any as of yet:

Chia Seeds @ $7.95/lb

http://www.sunorganicfarm.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=S251

Somebody mentioned chia here a while ago, and that same week I listened to a radio show that mentioned it! I figured it would be worth looking into, but I haven't gotten any yet. The Whole Foods where I live doesn't even sell it. (asked about it and the employees looked at my like I was crazy).

hth,

Chris

EDIT: looks like my link is the same as raven's... she must have posted while I was writing.

I bookmarked this page a while ago, but haven't ordered any as of yet:

Chia Seeds @ $7.95/lb

http://www.sunorganicfarm.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=S251

Somebody mentioned chia here a while ago, and that same week I listened to a radio show that mentioned it! I figured it would be worth looking into, but I haven't gotten any yet. The Whole Foods where I live doesn't even sell it. (asked about it and the employees looked at my like I was crazy).

hth,

Chris

EDIT: looks like my link is the same as raven's... she must have posted while I was writing.

It was probably me rambling about it, Funny how you learn something and then suddenly you start seeing/hearing it everywhere.

Let me know if you want more sources; but, I'm pretty sure that's the lowest I've seen online. They are being found more and more in stores now, too.

I checked these sites and didn't notice any of them noting that they were organic, do you know if any of these sources are organic or do you have any sites which sell organic chia?

Troy,

When I first researched chias, I had the same questions . I read two books on chias as well.

What I've learned is that chia seeds do not need any pesticides or any type of treatment at all. They are naturally an organically growing plant. This, I've read, is a testament to their strength . They survive through very bad circumstances as well. So, no, they don't -- and what I've been told as it is now -- carry the "organic" label since it's unnecessary (and expensive for them to get). And they probably won't be getting that label any time soon. I imagine, if chias become a big seller, it will be worth it for growers to pay for it.

Additionally, each place I've ordered from has told me the same thing, and that their seeds come from a source where no pesticides or herbicides, etc., are used. You can call to confirm as well. I'm sure you'll get the same answer. If they just say, "no," they may be just referring to the certification. So it may be best to further inquire.

So, the Dancing Algae folks at the page you linked is the only one I know of who has theirs certified; so, you may want to pay that higher price it.

• 2 months later...

When I first researched chias, I had the same questions . I read two books on chias as well.

What I've learned is that chia seeds do not need any pesticides or any type of treatment at all. They are naturally an organically growing plant.

Thanks _raVen_... I went with the Hidalgo Foods site that you suggested this time around because I bought 55lbs for $5.72/lb (including shipping)... comes in 55 individual bags too which is convenient for storage.

I remember reading in Udo's book that flax is far superior for omega 3s than chia and it seems like flax is dirt cheap.

All I could find from Udo was this:

"Chia Seeds

In the desert of New Mexico, natives eat chia seeds. These tiny seeds contain about 40% LA and 30% LNA. Their essential fatty acids (EFAs) are protected from light and air in the same way as the EFAs in flax, with a brown seed coat, which is further covered with water-absorbing mucilage like that which covers flax seeds. Chia seeds provide a well-protected sourse of w3 and w6 EFAs in the hot desert climate." - Page 292, Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill, Fifth Printing

1 ounce of Chia Seed vs. 1 ounce of Flaxseed

Total Omega-3 fatty acids 4.92 g vs. 6.39 g

Total Omega-6 fatty acids 1.62 g vs. 1.66 g

Flaxseed contains about 30% more Total Omega-3 fatty acids...

-Stats from Nutritiondata.com