Crap.. What do I do now?

Marcina

I hate my town. It is the most un-veggie friendly town I've ever seen. I went out to dinner with my family to a Mexican place and ordered a vegetarian burrito with no sour cream or cheese. Well, I got a fricken vegetarian burrito with sour cream and didn't notice until I already ate about 1/3 of it.

I feel so ing and angry because I feel like I can't eat anywhere unless it's a vegetarian restaurant.. But there aren't any of those in my town. I also feel like I can't call myself a vegan anymore. I walked out of the restaurant and bawled my eyes out because I consumed something that contributed to the suffering of an animal. I tried to make myself vomit but I couldn't.. I've never been able to. I can gag and feel sick but I can't vomit! Wtf.. And since I'm lactose intolerant you'd think it would be easier cuz I get a stomachache anyways. Now I gotta go throught the aches and pains until this crap is out of my system.

I don't know what to do. My boyfriend feels upset cuz he doesn't know where to take me to eat anymore.

Lol where the heck is that? I know it's in the states but uhh probably kinda far.

So yeah, my boyfriend got mad at me cuz I don't wanna eat at non-vegetarian restaurants. Except for sushi places cuz I sit at the bar and watch them make my food so I know no funny business goes on with it. He left in a huff.. all pissed off. Geez. I thought he was the one person who understood ya know? It's not my fault this shitty town has no vegetarian places to eat. Nevermind vegan! Everytime I tell people around here I'm a vegan they're like "what's that?" Idiots. So I just say I'm a vegetarian that doesn't eat dairy, eggs, or honey. It's a longer way to say it but at least I don't get dumb questions.

I also feel like I can't call myself a vegan anymore

Don't ever feel like that. It's not like you purposely asked for something that isn't vegan and consumed it knowingly. They mmessed up not you. Shit happens. Think of those who are uninformed and they consume Miso Soup at chinese/japanese restaurants not knowing that they the majority of them use fish broth and thinking it's cool as one example. Or ingredients like gelatin that some didn't realize are non vegan as they went into the journey and were still consuming candy products like gummy bears. Carmine Beetles used to color non dairy yogurts and the list goes on and on. I can understand the cause for concern about dining out but don't let someone else's mistake make you feel non-vegan. Keep your head up and stick to who you are, you earned it.

Worst comes to worst we all move to Portland the vegan capital of US!

I've never been but it sounds so cool. NYC is vegan friendly, we even have a vegan poetry club with performances of all sorts and a vegan bar but nyc is more diverse than anything not necessarily geared specifically toward vegans like Portland.

I also feel like I can't call myself a vegan anymore

Don't ever feel like that.

I agree. I think it's tempting for us vegans to think we're pure, and that we inflict no suffering on other creatures, but the truth of modern consumerism is more complicated than that. We shouldn't be hard on ourselves for small mistakes--especially when they're innocent (albeit frustrating) ones made by other people.

Worst comes to worst we all move to Portland the vegan capital of US!

Man, it's really starting to seem that way. The vegan restaurants, bakeries, and shops are great, but just as important is that the dining scene as a whole is getting really good at accommodating vegans. I ate at a fantastic Peruvian place called Andina tonight that had a "V" symbol next to the dishes that could be "veganized." I had a quinoa dish with wild mushrooms and grilled asparagus...mmm. Of course, plenty of vegans wouldn't want to eat food prepared in a kitchen that also prepares fish and meat dishes, but I personally am relaxed on that point.

Lol where the heck is that? I know it's in the states but uhh probably kinda far.

So yeah, my boyfriend got mad at me cuz I don't wanna eat at non-vegetarian restaurants. Except for sushi places cuz I sit at the bar and watch them make my food so I know no funny business goes on with it. He left in a huff.. all pissed off. Geez. I thought he was the one person who understood ya know? It's not my fault this shitty town has no vegetarian places to eat. Nevermind vegan! Everytime I tell people around here I'm a vegan they're like "what's that?" Idiots. So I just say I'm a vegetarian that doesn't eat dairy, eggs, or honey. It's a longer way to say it but at least I don't get dumb questions.

Maryland is in the Mid Atlantic(the center of the east coast). As for myself...I'd never get mad at you for only wanting to go to non-vegetarian restaurants...on the contrary though...don't be mad at me if I don't want to take you to non-vegetarian restaurants. As for your answer to others it makes a lot of sense. After all...we're really vegetarians...people that normally call themselves that aren't...milk ain't no vegetable...either is an egg

Yeah you got make sure to tell them your vegan and tell them stright up what you can't have. Plus make sure to ask them if it's this what you odered. They do forget and don't give a shit. From my experience, I went to a vegetarian and non veggie place and their was aviol dip and bbq sauce that came with fries. when my friend ordered it with no aviol sauce not only did the avoil sauce come with it, but the bbq sauce had honey in the ingredients. So in future make sure to ask before you eat in a non vegan place. They won't do anything unless you're straight up with them

that's the shits to eat at a non vegan place. Sorry you had that experience.

I think there is no reason to feel bad if someone else f**ks up your food with animal products. Always remember to inform the restaurant the importance of getting non animal product food if they screw up, but never feel bad for something like that.

If something like that disturbs so much, it would be best not to eat in places where they serve any products that have caused suffering. And they're very hard to find. But I think spending money on a restaurant where they also sell meat is in a way essential because if no one asks for vegan dishes there won't be any available for those who just might want to have a vegan dish once in a while.

Any half decent italian restaurant should have atleast one vegan dish on the menu anyway, real spaghetti is vegan.

You should also be able to order cooked veg separately like broccoli, carrots, cauliflower etc.

Also a pizza without cheese is always an option.

If not its not an italian restaurant.

I don't eat at any restaurants, since I just don't trust them. They'd have to be 100% vegan, and have ingredients listed for all products before I'd order anything, and that kind of thing just doesn't exist around here. Your boyfriend should understand the problem. If it's the social aspect which is difficult for you, you can eat before you go and then still enjoy the company while you're out, that's what I do when there is an enforced gathering.

I think there is no reason to feel bad if someone else f**ks up your food with animal products. Always remember to inform the restaurant the importance of getting non animal product food if they screw up, but never feel bad for something like that.

If something like that disturbs so much, it would be best not to eat in places where they serve any products that have caused suffering. And they're very hard to find. But I think spending money on a restaurant where they also sell meat is in a way essential because if no one asks for vegan dishes there won't be any available for those who just might want to have a vegan dish once in a while.

You shouldn't feel bad(if you let them know) but at the same time you should be a little affraid. If you eat enough(especially if its a broth) you can get pretty sick which is why I rarely get more than a salad at most omni places...you can't really hide anything in there.

Don't feel bad, this has happened to a lot of vegans. It happened to me once. I thought I was getting tomato soup, and it ended up having chicken broth in it. And originally I was quite suspicious, but the people said it was ok, and then after I had a few bites, they came back and said don't eat it. I felt sick the whole night, but I couldn't make myself throw it up either. Let's just say that terrible experience made me even more suspicious of others preparing my food. Whenever I go to a regular restaurant before I eat I basically dissect my food. People may look at me funny if I'm smelling it, and looking to see if there's any meat or dairy in it, but at least I know.

Whenever I go to a regular restaurant before I eat I basically dissect my food. People may look at me funny if I'm smelling it, and looking to see if there's any meat or dairy in it, but at least I know.

LOL

I do that, too.

it's a shame stuff like this happens. i almost never go out either unless they have a meal that's clearly marked vegan. where i live the biggest problem is the immigrants (hope that didn't sound racist) who run a lot of the resaurants. when i order something and say "I don't want any garlic sauce" for instanse, cause it contains milk and yoghurt, they don't understand what i mean, they just hear "garlic sauce" so ofcourse my food comes covered in milk.

luckily the veg store i work for have started distribution to restaurants around town. now some of the cafes serve ciabattas with vegan bacon and soy cheese. some of the fast-food stands have vegan hotdogs and burgers. things are turning around here in sweden and a lot of other places. hopefully it will spread all the way to canada

There are no veg rest here where I live. (Maryland on the ocean). However almost every rest out here has veggie options and the more of us that order them I have noticed the menus expanding, which is awesome!

I do have to ask questions and check my food after I receive it. The Italian places we have out here are cheese based sauces. Several of our Pizza places have cheese based sauces and some of the crusts contain dairy, so you do have to ask ahead.

Regarding what happened, I'm sorry to hear it. But, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. It wasn't your fault and as a vegan we do our best to avoid animal products .... this like that are going to occasionally occur. So, just move forward from there and like I said I wouldn't be afraid to eat at a normal rest.... perhaps it will encourage them to add more to their menus

i also forgot to say, don't be so hard on yourself. i think stuff like this has happened to almost everyone.

you should read vegan freaks' book "being vegan in a non-vegan world".

Curious about veganism? Want to be a vegan? Already a vegan? Just wondering how to be vegan without going insane? In this informative and practical guide on veganism, two seasoned vegans help you love your inner vegan freak. Loaded with tips, advice, stories, and comprehensive lists of resources that no vegan should live without, this book is key to helping you thrive as a happy, healthy, and sane vegan in a decidedly non-vegan world.

You guys made me feel better. My boyfriend is still mad at me, even though last night I told him I was over it. I think I really embarassed him, but I felt bad. It's not like I yelled at the waitress or demanded to talk to the manager or something like that. That's why I walked out of the restaurant -- to hide my emotions.

It should be obvious to him that its extremely important to you...and honestly the problem you ran into at the restaurant should have bugged the hell out of him too because your concerns should also be his concerns.

Even if you just didn't like a certain thing like, I don't like tomatoes, and if I say I want a sandwich without tomato, and they put tomato in it, I'd be pissed off, it's understandable. When it's an ethical principle, it becomes even more important.

It should be obvious to him that its extremely important to you...and honestly the problem you ran into at the restaurant should have bugged the hell out of him too because your concerns should also be his concerns.

I wonder if he thinks I'm being selfish? I have no idea. He won't talk about it. I haven't heard from him today because he's still mad.

• 3 weeks later...

Idiots is probably a harsh word lol. I just can't stand these meat munchin farmer people who don't think about the food they're eating. My sister is comin around though. She found me a nice vegetarian chili recipe and she chatted with me about veganism a bit. My mom and her boyfriend have tried my vegan spaghetti sauce and actually LIKE it!