thoughts on fertilizers in organic food

joninvegaz

so i've been working on setting up a hydroponic veggie greenhouse in my parents backyard and was shopping around for a nutrient solution. most of them are chemical based, but there are a few certified organic ones, so i bought one without looking at the ingredients. it just so happens that the first ingredient is fishmeal, and the second is bone meal, which makes this the furtherest i've strayed form being a vegan. however, i was looking around online and found that many commercial organic farms and greenhouses also use organic approved fertilizers containing the same ingredients. i'm just curious as to other's opinions on this, and if anyone knows of a vegan friendly nutrient solution; i would greatly appreciate knowing about it.

check out emamerica's stuff but I warn you, they charge an arm and a leg for their products. I haven't looked into how long they last but supposedly once you buy their stuff, you can grow more by breeding the effective microorganisms in another bucket or something......

http://www.emamerica.com/data/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=113&Itemid=54

i mean if you think about it, the remains of animals and humans have to go somewhere but it isn't necessarily vegan type compost i suppose you're right in that aspect. Guess it depends on your comfort level.

So does this mean like..even being vegan there really is no escape from stuff like this because of how food is grown?

It just makes this world more dreary and depressing. To not be able to get away from the crap.

There should be some kind of law on what can be used to grow food( Especially organic food )

My stepdad used to work for a company that made organic compost. They used manure sometimes, but they would mostly use vegetables like avacado, peppers, and mushrooms. Maybe you could make your own fertlizer out of stuff like that by composting it?

Its pretty easy to make your own composting...just save all your banana skins, and whatever parts of plants you cut off when preparing food...dump that in a bin and mix it with leaves or whatever organic material you have hanging around and you have a great fertilizing compost...at my house we have way more than we can use with the size of garden we can manage without my dog eating the whole thing.

I am a big fan of hydroponics too, but I have never been able to find a plant-based nutrient solution. General hydroponics has something called "florablend," but it is just supposed to supplement the nutrient solution. I wasn't able to see the emamerica site, but feel free to post if you find something.

Dave

So does this mean like..even being vegan there really is no escape from stuff like this because of how food is grown?

It just makes this world more dreary and depressing. To not be able to get away from the crap.

There should be some kind of law on what can be used to grow food( Especially organic food )

Things decompose after they die and become part of the soil. It's called the cycle of life.