ashamed of your muscles?

In some ways it was a hindrance but I miss being really muscular at times. My appearance seemed to intimidate people I didn't intend to intimidate before, but at the same time I was always listened to which seemed like a good thing.

Now that I'm not so big I sometimes wish I still had that intimidation factor in terms of making people listen to me when I tell them you can get really strong being vegan...but at the same time being that big isn't healthy(unfortunately average humans don't know that) and now I "should" have more creditability than I used to.

I'd grunt a lot at the end of really intense sets...luckily I lifted pretty much alone all the time at 6am in an empty gym. It really does help. Go to a pro track meet and you won't find a single shot/disc/jav thrower throw without a ridiculous yell. I've tried throwing without yelling and it really does make up to a 10% difference on average.

Sometimes I think most weight lifting men's grunts are just for show

Yes I suppose that may be somewhat true but if they are lifting serious weight, they are not grunting on purpose. Take it from me. It isn't easy to stack plates on and just haul it on a certain exercise without straining and as a result, you grunt. Then again, some exaggerate as I saw yesterday at the gym where someone was lifting alot of weight but made extra noise. Honestly though, if you are doing 405lbs for 3 reps without assistance on a bench, you can grunt all you want. That's tough......

No never ... about anything I do. And I am well aware people don't always agree with me or what I do .... but then again that goes both ways! lol

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

That are nice words of roosevelt

I had the initial mindset to be ashamed of muscle. When i saw muscle forming it would make me maudlin. I felt this way for a few reasons, mainly because i had never had any musculature before, and also because muscles to me stimulated sexuality in others. If i had muscles then i would be deemed noticeable to the men folk in a sexual manner, this freaked me out so i avoided working out for this reason mostly. I liked being anonymous. Now it is about me, Its about reclaiming the idea that my body is part of me and not something that works against me

Does anyone of you felt ever ashamed of having muscles?

Interesting question. I'm not anywhere near big enough to deal with this myself, but I think I understand where the concern is coming from: a fear of being seen as vain. I'll leave it to others to decide whether that fear is sometimes justified; I guess it depends on the person.

Personally, I'm aiming for a physique that's strong, lean, and defined, but not so big as to make anyone think, "that guy spends a lot of time at the gym." I want my look to be natural and not an obvious result of training. But for guys (and gals) who eat much more, spend much more time training, and are building much bigger bodies than I, there's nothing to hide.

If i had muscles then i would be deemed noticeable to the men folk in a sexual manner, this freaked me out so i avoided working out for this reason mostly.

With all due respect, Phillipe, I've seen the photo of you dancing at a rave, and I think big muscles are the least of your worries. But really, this worry of yours was silly and unfair no matter how you looked at it.

If i had muscles then i would be deemed noticeable to the men folk in a sexual manner, this freaked me out so i avoided working out for this reason mostly.

With all due respect, Phillipe, I've seen the photo of you dancing at a rave, and I think big muscles are the least of your worries. But really, this worry of yours was silly and unfair no matter how you looked at it.

Spine,

You are making an assumption that i felt this way during my time as an overweight adult. The issue came about when i became slim and it was a result that happened indirectly because of my being overweight. When i was overweight i was anonymously present and this desire or comfortability with that place in society caused me for a time to not want to gain muscle for that and a few other reasons.

Wow, that sounded rude. It's really cool to insult someone's body who has a history of an eating disorder (which he mentioned on the same page as the rave picture, so you must have known). Geez. I think it's actually common for people who are going through difficult emotional times to want to remain safely anonymous and avoid being seen in a sexual light. Psychological defenses aren't necessarily rational but I certainly wouldn't dismiss them as "silly".

Wow, that sounded rude. It's really cool to insult someone's body who has a history of an eating disorder (which he mentioned on the same page as the rave picture, so you must have known). Geez. I think it's actually common for people who are going through difficult emotional times to want to remain safely anonymous and avoid being seen in a sexual light. Psychological defenses aren't necessarily rational but I certainly wouldn't dismiss them as "silly".

Good post Laura..

Wayy too personal spine...

Sorry if I offended anyone--especially Phillipe. Maybe it's an example of the limitations of communication on the Internet, but Phillipe's comment about not wanting attention from men sure did sound homophobic to me. That's what I was responding to. Apparently I was missing some context, as I don't know Phillipe's history. My bad, and my apologies if I was off base. My intentions were good.

Maybe it's an example of the limitations of communication on the Internet,

Definitely. Sorry I bit your head off. I was assuming you knew Phillipe was gay and that you'd read all the stuff on the page with the rave picture (which, btw Phillipe, is not a bad picture at all; I agree with Marcina and think it is really cute). Now things make more sense; there was definitely a miscommunication. I just thought you were being a big jerk and my fuse has been kind of short. I should really take up yoga.

Sorry if I offended anyone--especially Phillipe. Maybe it's an example of the limitations of communication on the Internet, but Phillipe's comment about not wanting attention from men sure did sound homophobic to me. That's what I was responding to. Apparently I was missing some context, as I don't know Phillipe's history. My bad, and my apologies if I was off base. My intentions were good.

Spine, No harm no foul, I assumed that there was a miscommunication which is why i broke down why i said the comment. I thought it was common knowledge that I was gay. I can see where you may have taken what i had said the wrong way.