Stockpiling Food

DV

This is a great post and very needed. Here is a link to some survival foods that are vegetarian. I hesitate to post, but perhaps if there truely is an emergency this may come in handy. I have an omni family so... anyone in a similar situation that really wants to stockpile:

http://www.efoodsdirect.com/index.html

Most survival foods you will find, are not vegan or vegetarian friendly that last for very long.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember in the late 90s people were talking about the year 2000 problem. It was very scary, very serious. Prices for all sorts of things were going up because upper middle class people/lower class rich people who could afford it were stockpiling everything, convinced that things would come grinding to a halt.

I was in my first job out of school. Still living in a room in shared house. All I could do in late 1999 was buy myself two gallon jugs of distilled water in case the year 2000 problem screwed up the water station.

I couldn't load up on enough food for a month in a basement I didn't have. I couldn't buy a portable generator and store two months of fuel. Etc etc.

Well January 01 2000 came. I bought a Washington Post with that date on it for souvenir. A cash register in England malfunctioned, but aside from that the year 2000 problem passed. Nobody starved, society didn't collapse.

I did get a good laugh hearing people call into the radio station asking

"What do I do with all of this stuff?"

after they spent thousands of dollars on survival things they now didn't need.

Life will go on people.

Misery and stress will come looking for you. No reason to go prying up the floor boards to find things to worry about and borrow trouble.

Have a NICE DAY

There was actually a story too about a man who owed a few billion dollars on an overdue videotape when 1/1/00 began too, that made me laugh.

People are starving right now. Rioting because they can't afford to buy food - but rich americans are talking about buying things they don't need, I mean who gives a damn if it makes food cost more for everyone else.....

Or hippies using ethanol...

One problem for food going up here is that food will go up everywhere else. We sell food super cheap to poor nations. They already can't afford what we give them and we're gonna charge more eventually. Thats the real problem. I don't care about paying more for food here...but I don't like the idea of food going up for people that barely have enough money to cover the rice/grain they eat(considering rice/grain is over 90% of some people's diets)

People are starving right now. Rioting because they can't afford to buy food - but rich americans are talking about buying things they don't need, I mean who gives a damn if it makes food cost more for everyone else.....

How is food something that "rich americans" don't need?

There is more than enough food in the world to feed everyone. Prices are driven by political forces and greedy investors who buy mass quantities of commodities, hoping to make a buck later on.

Our politicians worship at the altar of the "free market", when they could easily regulate the food market and control prices. Cuba for instance is laughing their ass off right now, Fidel predicted this food meltdown over 5 years ago.

So, why take such a harsh tone with people who are building a reasonable food safety net for themselves? "Rich americans" are not immune from financial hardships, food shortages, natural disasters or other disruptions of supply.

Not all of them had the opportunity, but many people around the world who are now suffering, could have ridden out the price hikes or at least had more time to adjust, if they had modest food storage in place. I for one, am not going to make the same mistake.

Or hippies using ethanol...

Is George Bush a hippie? The tax breaks for ethanol production were his idea of an energy policy.

When did I say americans didn't need food? You don't need stockpiles of food. When did I say no american has financial difficulties? but most people with financial troubles don't have the option of stockpiling.

You don't need put rich americans in quotes, I know very well that many americans aren't rich. By rich I mean people who are rich enough to hope for higher prices(which has been done in this thread.)

I know that prices(of almost everything) have more to do with market power then anything. However if more profit is to be made selling to stockpiling americans then the hungry the that's where the food goes and the prices go up.

Stockpiling is an individual solution to a collective problem - one that can have negative consequences for those with the least. Sorry if I seem harsh, but I call a spade a spade, and I think its way harsher to stockpile food for yourself at the expense of those who are hungry now.

Not all of them had the opportunity, but many people around the world who are now suffering, could have ridden out the price hikes or at least had more time to adjust, if they had modest food storage in place. I for one, am not going to make the same mistake.

A 5th of the world was undernourished before the recent food shortages. Many more were close. Are these the 'many' you speak of? Seems like a bit of a naive and privileged thing to say from my prospective.

Lots of animals stockpile food...if they don't do it literally with hiding food...they do it internally by getting fat when they know food is gonna be scarce. Now we just have an extra way to prevent this...fat people can get fatter and store food...while not so fat people can store food for safe keeping.

Wobbly...do you not have any savings??? Saving money is the worst thing you can do for the economy(capitalist or not)...it means money is being made and its not getting cycled to the bottom. If you wanna help....spend every cent you get...hell...spend it online...overseas in poor countries if you want. If you don't then you're doing your own type of selfish stockpiling.

If you need a hand spending your money, I could use a few things <3

Hahaha

Anyways, on a serious note.. I feel really bad for the people who are in or below the poverty line. It's hard enough for them just to find a place to live.. but now they gotta worry about food too

Whenever I go to a restaraunt I give my leftovers to a homeless person if I see one. I hope they don't think I'm giving them my garbage or anything like that O.o

No, I don't have savings, I have debt from school. Most people in the world have no property or savings. Saving isn't all bad for the economy. It helps control inflation for example. So save all the money you want. Anyway I'm less concerned with the 'economy'(measured with GNP and the like) and more concerned with people(standard of livings.)

I just think it's important not to overlook the consequences of stockpiling on prices, and other then stockpiling water, it's unlikely to be necessary, I mean a bag of rice lasts a week+ and that'll be long enough for 99.999% of cases.

I think the poverty line is not at the poverty level...at least not here in the US...actually our poverty line is a joke. There are people under the poverty line that have cars and nice clothes...fat stomachs...thats not poverty. Sure all poor people are under the poverty line but not all people under the poverty line are poor. I could live on my meager wage if I moved out of my parents house and I'm considered to be under the poverty line...I shouldn't be. I'd struggle to go out and party every week if I moved out but I wouldn't be starving...I'd have air conditioning and a functional apartment...thats just not poverty. I've traveled to many places overseas...this is the only country where the average homeless person is heavier than the upper class in most other nations.

I just ran across this thread and found it interesting because a friend and I were talking about "what if's" and I decided to do some research of what the native americans lived off of here in the desert. I learned a lot about some of the seeds from trees here and of course the catcus that are edible. But we are more concerned with our water supply. But you just never know, there could come a day when we don't have any food for many reasons.

I am from the midwest so always were able to grown food and having more water than we know what to do with. But here it is totally different, although I do love this area because of the weather and the people.

In the fall we hope to have our own home, then I am going to start growing my own food in hot beds. Also will have citrus trees. I can't wait Funny I hated working in the garden when I was a kid.

Oh always a good idea to stock pile water and food.

Wobbly,

Thanks for bringing up some great points that some folks may not have otherwise considered.

That said, I do not see taking reasonable steps to provide for one's loved ones & self in emergencies as being contrary to working on collective responses to such situations and/or to countering global social & economic inequalities/injustices.

Wobbly,

Thanks for bringing up some great points that some folks may not have otherwise considered.

That said, I do not see taking reasonable steps to provide for one's loved ones & self in emergencies as being contrary to working on collective responses to such situations and/or to countering global social & economic inequalities/injustices.

Thanks LL! I couldn't think of a way to express that point and you summed it up in one sentence. You're good like that.

Wobbly, you and I actually agree on just about everything, so this one took me by surprise. I see family self sufficiency and preparedness as complimentary to solving the world hunger problem, not as opposed to it.