How to deal with diet questions

Over the past 26 years, I have fielded many questions about my diet and food choices. I am including the most common questions here . . .

1) Are you going to try to convert us?

> No, I have no interest in trying to convert anyone. Nor will I try to get

> you to join a magic drumming circle, start chanting, or consulting the

> Mighty Kabourka about your future.

> 2) Don't you miss eating meat?

> No. As a somewhat grownup person, if I missed it, I would start eating

> it. 3) So, you don't eat meat . . . is there something wrong with it?

> I have no idea . . . is there?

> 4) So, you don't eat meat . . . what's wrong with you?

> Many things, perhaps that's why I'm a vegetarian?

> 5) Doesn't being a vegetarian make you weak?

> Yes, but the strength of my gas is weapons-grade (just ask my poor wife).

> 6) How do you know you are getting enough protein?

> I consult the Mighty Kabourka while chanting at my majic drumming circle.

> (see answer 1)

> 7) So, do you just go outside and graze on the lawn?

> I think that's just the Canadians.

> I know you are just dying for some of my triple bacon cheeseburger,

> aren't you?

Honestly, I'm not, but I am happy to share my raw tofu juice

> with mung bean mold and mushroom fungus with you.

Hurr, yeah. Another one I get (although not related to diet) which irritates me is:

"So if they shut down all the farms, where would you put all the animals?"

I get tired of explaining that the reason those animals exist in the first place is because of the breeding on the farms, and if you "shut down the farms" then the breeding would stop, and after one generation, those animals would cease to exist. Not to mention that it's impossible to "shut down" all the farms just like that; if it ever does happen it will be gradual, and the population of farm animals would gradually decrease as farms were shut down one by one over the years...

but I am tempted to say:

"Where would the animals go? Up your ass."

Hurr, yeah. Another one I get (although not related to diet) which irritates me is:

"So if they shut down all the farms, where would you put all the animals?"

I get tired of explaining that the reason those animals exist in the first place is because of the breeding on the farms, and if you "shut down the farms" then the breeding would stop, and after one generation, those animals would cease to exist. Not to mention that it's impossible to "shut down" all the farms just like that; if it ever does happen it will be gradual, and the population of farm animals would gradually decrease as farms were shut down one by one over the years...

but I am tempted to say:

"Where would the animals go? Up your ass."

Lol, I find it one of the worse question too. Because it shows how much the little knowledge people have is so biased by the medias.

Like some people said to me :

"But there would be too much animals if we all become vegans", or : "But there's too much animals, we need to kill some, they're overpopulated, we make a favour to the planet by killing some of them"

Is this a joke? It's like if they think that the meat they're eating come from animals in the nature! as if there is no mega-farms, exploitation, torture, slaughterhouses. They live in a dream or an ideal world they've created in their mind in ordoer to be guilt-free. I can't believe I have to explain to them that many spiecies completly dissapeared because of men's massacres, the animals in farms are overpopulated, not the animals in nature! The only animal which is overpopulated is human.

"But animals are there for humans, right?"

Where do they get this information? From the Bible or what? Go try to explain this to a lion, or a crocodile or even to dinosaurs if they were still there, go explain that you're the boss, that you're a superior being and that they're your slaves, they're gonna laugh at you and then tear you to pieces. Humans are animals too, but they're too different species that don't need each others, they should live each on their side, and they're just on Earth because they are on Earth, that's as simple as this, just to live and let live, not to exploit or being exploited.

Edited by I'm Your Man

"So if they shut down all the farms, where would you put all the animals?[

I've gotten those. I turn it back around on them by being honest. I say flat out that I don't think they are asking me a serious question and that they are making entertainment out of the situation. I then tell them that if they want to learn I will help them out. If not, if I got another dopey response I tell them I would much rather enjoy my lunch, get back to my business or whatever.

I guess I have been ridiculed most of my life for my name, my profession, and my diet. Now joking about it, and poking fun at both myself and my tormentors is great therapy. That way, I stay on a happy even keel. It seems that they aren't really able to take being joked at right back, Hmmmmm?

So, I hear you, Beyondwisdom. What is your experience with these people's reaction to you as you stay healthy, fit and age well?? I was at my High School's 36 year reunion last year. The average age was 54 . . . my wife, who is a very fit 36 year old Pilates and Gyrotonics personal trainer from Taiwan was very surprised to see all of the "fat, old people". Smoking, drinking and heavy junk eating were the activities of choice at the reunion. Reactions of my former classmates to me ranged from ignoring to outright hostility. We left very early.

So anyway, a sense of humor about it all has kept me sane . . .

yes , the animal over-population excuse is such a crock . . . I often ask if not eating their brocoli will cause a brocoli explosion in the world turning it into a Kudzu like problem found in the deep south. This will get angry stares, but usually stop the useless argument. I have found, over the years, that most of these idiots are not open to any ideas but their own. Anything that even comes close to an opposing view brings up immediate anger and hostility. I have encountered some creative ones, though, who have called me a "carrot murderer".

So, I hear you, Beyondwisdom. What is your experience with these people's reaction to you as you stay healthy, fit and age well??.

No hostility yet, but my peers are a few years behind yours. They haven't yet felt the pain of serious health issues and premature aging that likely fueled the hostility against you not having succumbed as soon as they have.

When I was lifting weights seriously I used to get a few disarming laughs by posing down my upper body as someone in the group would give me the old "I'm sure it is fine for you, but I don't know if I could get enough nutrition ". Usually the person making that comment would be a 5 ft tall 110 pound Gidget wannabe.

My experiences have been positive. People telling me that I look like I haven't changed at all with some incredulity in their voice. They are truly shocked.

Explain why would a Canadian would graze on the lawns?

I would if I was a cow who grew up in Canada.

But as a human aaah not so much.

Are these actual random questions ppl have asked you ?

I actually used to eat grass as a kid. I wanted to be a horsey.

Then I got diarrhea and didn't wanna be a horsey no more

I know girls do fart but sometimes its hard to believe. I dated a girl for about 3.5 years and only heard her fart once...actually it may not have even been a fart...it was too quiet and I may have been hearing things. We pretty much lived together for over 2 of those years and I was normally awake while she was sleeping and didn't even hear her fart while she was sleeping...she could sure snore sometimes though. As for my last relationship...never heard her fart either...thats after a year.

Yeah the classic question I get is "other than for us to eat, what is the point of animals"

Its actually hilarious to think that people actually think whole species are literally there for us to eat.

I often say in response what is the point of you?

We are all in it to keep our species alive.Even plants have the intelligence to do this.

Edited by DaN

If you've got it, flaunt it.

Har

Yeah the classic question I get is "other than for us to eat, what is the point of animals"

Its actually hilarious to think that people actually think whole species are literally there for us to eat.

I say to this question what reason are you here for? Thats always funny to see people react to.

I have always thought that the only reason we eat meat is because we can.We can catch the animal & do whatever we want to it because we have learnt how to be more effective as a species than the rest of the animals.But rather than use this power to harm or control them, we should have the maturity to help them along their evolutionary path, & treat them with respect.

Imagine a race of aliens came down, more intelligent & powerful than us, & they looked at us & farmed us for food the way we do animals, just because they could.We would certainly call them evil.

Yeah I agree entirely, I've often made the same alien analogy to people who say that "we're more intelligent / powerful than animals, therefore it's up to us what we do with them". Clearly it's a ridiculous point of view to have, and shows that person's lack of compassion and total selfishness

My old mum bless her heart, always said treat others the way you want to be treated yourself.I took the "treat others" part of that saying & applied it to all living things.I know I sure wouldnt want to be eaten cos I taste nice