im feeling this im feeling that whatever

I really don't see where the debate is. There's very little harm in pretty much everyone supplementing, be they vegans, raw foodists, vegetarians or omnivores. In fact, I'd say on the whole omnivores have an even more pressing need to supplement than any health-conscious vegetarian or vegan.

I have a far superior diet now as a vegan than I did as an omnivore so it's not being vegan that concerns me, and it shouldn't be taken as an attack on ones diet to be encouraged to supplement. Just pop a multi once a day. Heck, even every other day. No big deal. You're better safe than sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you all know.

After reading this post and the article that was linked, I started taking b12 supplements. And the changes are drastic.

I used to suffer from shaky legs, and it has calmed down a lot.

Also I have been actually getting GOOD sleep for the first time in years. I wake up feeling refreshed, but at the same time want to stay in bed because it was the best sleep in a while.

Heres to b12

Just to let you all know.

After reading this post and the article that was linked, I started taking b12 supplements. And the changes are drastic.

I used to suffer from shaky legs, and it has calmed down a lot.

Also I have been actually getting GOOD sleep for the first time in years. I wake up feeling refreshed, but at the same time want to stay in bed because it was the best sleep in a while.

Heres to b12

Awesome to hear. Glad you are supplimenting now.

Hilary, I think this is for you and your doctor to explore. Certainly, after the age of 50, humans secrete less intrinsic factor (in the stomach) which can result in the necessity of B12 injections for some and increased oral supplementation for others. There are some studies which point to oral supplementation being as effective as intramuscular, but I don't think that's true for everyone (maybe just those in that study). I think the only way to know whether you are getting an adequate oral dose (vs. intramuscular) is by testing your blood levels. On the other hand, if you feel great after the injections and don't mind getting them - why stop?

Please, try to keep conversations civil

Indeed !!!

I'm an advanced practice nurse with an additional degree in biology. My post-degree studies have focused on nutrition (especially vegan nutrition) for years. My husband is an MD who also advocates B12 supplementation. There are vegans in the age range of 4 years to 64 years in my family and we all supplement.

I completely agree with you about the B12 issue, BUT being "advanced", having a degree or being an MD doesn't guarantee that you know everything for sure. Try to be more convincing and less arrogant.

I really don't see where the debate is. There's very little harm in pretty much everyone supplementing, be they vegans, raw foodists, vegetarians or omnivores. In fact, I'd say on the whole omnivores have an even more pressing need to supplement than any health-conscious vegetarian or vegan.

I have a far superior diet now as a vegan than I did as an omnivore so it's not being vegan that concerns me, and it shouldn't be taken as an attack on ones diet to be encouraged to supplement. Just pop a multi once a day. Heck, even every other day. No big deal. You're better safe than sorry.

Best reply in this thread.

My current Multi supplies 83 mcg of Methylcobalamin per Vcap which is 1390% of the daily value. A serving size is 3 Vcaps. Is one Vcap enough?

The reason I ask is because why put 4000% of the daily value in a 3 Vcap multi serving unless there was some sort of absorption issue?

Troy, there is an absorption issue, which is why the weekly doses are so much higher than daily doses or divided daily doses.

I completely agree with you about the B12 issue, BUT being "advanced", having a degree or being an MD doesn't guarantee that you know everything for sure. Try to be more convincing and less arrogant.

In the U.S., a nurse can have a 2 year degree while a BSN is 4 years and and advanced practice nurse has a BSN plus a master's degree. I state my credentials so that those reading know who they are getting their information from. We have many people with no health, science or nutritional background spewing out "convincing" information all over the internet. I guess that I would rather be arrogant and accurate than convincing and harmful. No one knows everything for sure and I encourage people to do research on their own, rather than rely on others.

No one knows everything for sure and I encourage people to do research on their own, rather than rely on others.

I agree with that ! nothing beats life experiences, trial and error.

After all, there's so many doctors and nutritionnists with degrees that still say/think that milk and meat are very good for health and that a vegan diet is deficient.

Also, there's so many studies and "facts" that are contradictory.

Like for instance : some scientists say a B12 deficiency (often referring to persons on vegan diet) can appear after 3 years, some others say it takes 5 years, I've heard also : 7 years, 30 years and even 50 years. Storage cannot vary so much from a person to another... so after how many years ?

Some vegans claim they never took any B12 supplements and no B12 fortified food and they're still fine after 30 years of veganism.

Troy, there is an absorption issue, which is why the weekly doses are so much higher than daily doses or divided daily doses.

I just skimmed through the link from the B12 sticky thread. I never really concerned myself with it... being that there was so much contradictory information around it. I just thought its in my multi so I'm ok. For some reason this thread made me think of that movie "What the Bleep Do We Know?!". There are so many things going on within our cells at an infinitely small level that we are unaware of, similarly long term micro deficiencies can go unnoticed until its too late and your system finally fails. Like Pamela said, better safe than sorry. Why take the risk?

Arrogant? DV?