Supposed Body Fat

I apologize if this question has been asked before. I did search it first but didn't see any threads on it. Anyway, my question is, how accurate are those electronic scales that calculate your BMI. I stood on one yesterday and it told me my body fat was 12.4% which makes me happy because when I had it tested like 4 years ago, it was a LOT higher but I don't want to celebrate just yet because I don't know if it's accurate. Also, what is a good body fat rate to have anyway. I always figured 10% was good and healthy. I'm talking general body fat, not competition mode. Thanks for any insights.

I don't think they are very accurate at all.

They are good as a general guideline if you are looking to lose body fat (then you just pay attention to the changes in reading), but I don't think they are too accurate.

I have one that checks body fat percentage and hydration level. I don't take it at its word (especially since I'm not sure if I should use the "normal" or the "athlete" mode. According to the amount I workout, it's "athlete" mode, but I feel more like "normal"!).

Also, keep in mind that BMI is pretty much a joke. Anything that lumps all frames/body types into one category and dictates that anyone who isn't skinny as a rail is obese is pretty useless.

Like Wannalift said, a calipers is the only real way to go. I tried some weird electric meter they had at the gym last year and even that, which was supposed to be fairly accurate, was said to be up to 3-4% off if I recall correctly, so anything other than a 6-site calipers measurement is going to be off from the truth.

Whatever method you choose to use, just make sure you continue to use the same method over time to track progress. If you have the scale that calculates bodyfat, you can know that the reading isn't accurate but it should still track improvement. Improvement is likely the goal that you have so that's all you really need to know. Another thing that works well for this is a mirror. Most homes already have one of those installed so it saves cash as well!

Regards,

Sensless

Whatever method you choose to use, just make sure you continue to use the same method over time to track progress. If you have the scale that calculates bodyfat, you can know that the reading isn't accurate but it should still track improvement. Improvement is likely the goal that you have so that's all you really need to know. Another thing that works well for this is a mirror. Most homes already have one of those installed so it saves cash as well!

Regards,

Sensless

Yep just look in the mirror and take progress photos. Can you see your abs or not? Have you got bigger over all? Who cares about numbers on scales/fat monitors?

The only numbers that you should be interested in are the poundages you lift in the gym: keep making them increase whilst maintaining perfect form and you will grow : )

Thanks for all the replies...now I can resolve not to celebrate just yet. Today is a new day anyway. I think I'm going to join a new health club sometime soon. Just in time for the 12-Week Challenge. They are going to do all the measurements and give me a free session with a personal trainer. It's not that I obsess about body fat but I would like to have some concept of where I'm at. I've been losing weight consistently since Dec and I'm almost to my goal weight. Once I get down to that weight, I'm going to cut back cardio and start lifting again...then I will really fit in here since I will be both a vegan and a body builder and of course I've always been into fitness.

I don't trust mirrors however. Almost every other mirror I see has some kind of distortion to it. Not to mention, I don't really trust my own eyes either. I think pictures is the best method...I need to get some batteries for my digital camera.

Thanks again everyone

Personally I don't think calipers are that accurate. Hydrostatic tanks are supposedly even more accurate, but expensive and often hard to find places that do it.

I agree unless you are doing highly scientific training that it's all about the mirror.

Actually, Body Fat Calipers are not accurate either. There is a large margin of error (I believe it's anywhere from 5-10%). If u do use this method, make sure the same person does it each time. I stopped doing this with my clients b/c not only is it inaccurate, but it is not a true measure of health. Plus, it made them focue too much on that number and not their progress. It was discouraging instead of informative.

The most accurate method is the Bod-Pod in which u are submerged into water while in this pod-like thing. It's expensive though and hard to find places that have it.

I agree with everyone else: focus on your progress and how u feel. That's the true measure of health right there!

I don't trust mirrors however. Almost every other mirror I see has some kind of distortion to it. Not to mention, I don't really trust my own eyes either. I think pictures is the best method

I totally agree with you on this! Mirrors are evil... some make ya look awesome, and others almost make ya think that it's a different person staring back at ya! Picture are a great way to see how u progress b/c it's tangible. Plus, it's a great way to see how u have progressed, as well as being a good comparison tool.

The most accurate method is the Bod-Pod in which u are submerged into water while in this pod-like thing. It's expensive though and hard to find places that have it.

Probably not, Ive read that the only really accurate metod is having an autopsy where the fat is separated from the other tissue and weighted . That method clearly has some disadvantages though .