The Greyhound really sucks

DaN

ya it's been a weird couple days here, online and on tv covering this. you don't really hear of things like this here in Canada, so it's a little shocking. sometimes i wish we had the death penalty in special situations (i'm an ass i know, but come on!)

Yes, in Detroit I hear it's very common for someone to decapitated and then have their body cannibalized in front of people.

That was actually a joke about Detroit. But seriously, I get the Detroit news and it's usually a lot crazier than the local stuff.

Definitely a horrific event... It's also a good reminder that we all need to be prepared to defend ourselves - even in places that most people would consider themselves "safe". I find it pretty dang amusing - and scary too - that some Canadian politicians apparently seriously proposed a "knife registry" in response to this!

I am so worried that this guy is going to be found not guilty for reasons of insanity or get off on a much softer sentence than he deserves. The thing is, this killer has no criminal record or a violent past. He shows no remorse for what he did either. He was described as a normal guy, but one of his neighbors interviewed said he found him to be "antisocial".

I think he's a sociopath. Nobody normal decapitates an innocent young man. It scares me because I'm the same age as this kid. I used to ride the Greyhound and listen to music on my ipod too. I ride the city bus to work everyday and it stops in downtown where all the crackheads are O.o

I can't imagine what Tim Mclean's (the victim) family is feeling right now..

HOLY MOTHER OF....

GEEEEEEEEEEz

DAMN IT, Jaleel and Zack.

This is absolutely HORRIFYING!

I am actually literally ON a bus riding right now into Boston from NYC, 4 hour trip and they have free internet. Thought it was so cool when I found out i had free net access for my laptop until I read this. Luckily I just arrived.

Thanks for imming this link to me and freaking me out Zack!!!!!

Time to meet thendanisays and get buff

Definitely a horrific event... It's also a good reminder that we all need to be prepared to defend ourselves - even in places that most people would consider themselves "safe". I find it pretty dang amusing - and scary too - that some Canadian politicians apparently seriously proposed a "knife registry" in response to this!

How exactly do you prepare to defend yourself while asleep on a bus?

I'm actually a bit amazed that some of you are truly worried about this incident. Grehound has been around for what? 50 years? This is their first decapitation! I'd say your odds of having a safe and less than memorable trip are pretty good.

Let me start by saying that I'm not trying to blame anyone & most certainly not the victim of this brutal attack. What I am trying to do is to think about what I'd like to have seen go differently & how things could go differently in the future. Relying on the police, "knife registries", etc - simply are not reasonable responses.

There doesn't seem like there is much anyone could have done for the person who was asleep when he was attacked - though if he'd fought back once awake and/or others had come to his aid, who knows? If the attack had been stopped quickly enough & someone had been there with emergency medical training (& hopefully supplies) it is possible the victim may have survived. People have survived some amazingly horrible wounds...

Personally I try very hard not to sleep in public places or otherwise compromised situations. I also keep it in my mind that I may need to defend myself anywhere, anytime. Having that mental awareness is a great place to start - after that, training for defense & having defensive tools available are good choices. Same thing for having emergency medical training & supplies.

There doesn't seem like there is much anyone could have done for the person who was asleep when he was attacked - though if he'd fought back once awake and/or others had come to his aid, who knows? If the attack had been stopped quickly enough & someone had been there with emergency medical training (& hopefully supplies) it is possible the victim may have survived. People have survived some amazingly horrible wounds...

"If he'd fought back once awake and/or others had come to his aid"? Being woken up by being repeatedly stabbed is not conducive to 'fighting back'. By the time the poor kid even realized what was happening, he had probably been stabbed multiple times. The eye witnesses said the attacker really went at him. As for "others coming to his aid" - again, this kid had been stabbed multiple times before the people around him realized what was happening. There were women and children on the bus - people cleared out very quickly and, because of that, nobody else was hurt. They were absolutely right in doing so. Hell, even if there had been an off-duty cop on that bus, I doubt he would have gone anywhere near the attacker unless he (the cop) had a gun drawn. Approaching an armed psychopath in the middle of a frenzied attack would be just plain insane.

Let me start by saying that I'm not trying to blame anyone & most certainly not the victim of this brutal attack. What I am trying to do is to think about what I'd like to have seen go differently & how things could go differently in the future. Relying on the police, "knife registries", etc - simply are not reasonable responses.

Personally I try very hard not to sleep in public places or otherwise compromised situations. I also keep it in my mind that I may need to defend myself anywhere, anytime. Having that mental awareness is a great place to start - after that, training for defense & having defensive tools available are good choices. Same thing for having emergency medical training & supplies.

Fair enough, being aware of your situation and making reasonable preparations for emergency situations are always sensible. As far as sleeping in public places, I guess it just depends on the situation. Anyone who has ever spent 20 or 30 hours or more on a Greyhound bus will tell you that not sleeping is pretty much not an option. Nor is there any reason not to sleep, 10's of thousands of people ride Greyhound every day and while petty theft is fairly common, being physically assaulted in any way, much less murdered is pretty much a non-issue. There can be a pretty fine line between prepared and paranoid.

My opinion is that you can be aware most of the time in public - but not all of the time.It is not in our nature to be able to be prepared or aware all of the time.We lose concentration & our mind wanders... Even wild animals who are 'prey' like deer, have to relax, when they are in a place that should be safe.

Just have to accept that sometimes you are just taking your chances.That is unfortunately, life.