Newbie Vegan

Annie01

Hi all, I don't think I've ever posted in a forum like this, ever!

I'm in LA, I've been a vegetarian for 2 years, and want to try going Vegan based on some recent readings/articles and a renewed dedication to my belief system. I have to say though, I'm nervous about it, and don't quite know if I can stick to it.....

I hesitate to say this, but the reason for that is not that I feel I'll miss dairy or eggs..... but I deal with so much negativity on a daily basis, simply being a vegetarian. Meat eaters take such issue with our/my personal choices!! I work in 2 restaurants, and I feel like I deal with constant criticism and mockery. I'm sick of it. And I have NEVER mocked them, never told them about the atrocities they are supporting by eating meat or dairy.

Oh no! Not looking to start off on a negative vibe here, though! I just thought it might be nice to find a support group of like minded folk that I could turn to and think about when faced with that negativity, is all.

I look forward to getting to know some other Vegans/Vegetarians and posting regularly!

Thanks!

Welcome Annie!

I haven't had an issue with ignorant people criticizing or mocking me. If people did, I have an abrasive personality that can shut ignorant people up real quick. If I do encounter nutritionally ingorant people, I ignore them or think about all of the health problems those meat-eating, animal cholesterol consuming, overweight, high blood pressure, future pharmacutical drug dependant, stroke victim jerks will have later on in their lives.

I'll out live them all! Can I get a witness?

I can agree to everything, that has been said here already. But I do hope, you'll be able to manage yourself and live a good, cholesterol-free vegan life. I don't really know about your country, but atleast in Finland there are many alternatives to dairy and I guess it shouldn't be a problem getting used to the somewhat different flavour.

But what's your sport?

Welcome! It can be difficult at times if you a have a lot of negative opinions around you about your decision to be vegetarian. It used to bother me, but it actually got easier when I became vegan 2.5 years ago. I learned so much, especially on this website, that I knew withh all my being that there was no way I could ever go back, and that I was making a wonderful ethical choice. It also helps to know that you have the opportunity to eat a very healthy diet, have tons of energy, and not be weighed down by dairy, or meat products.

Welcome! When I became a vegetarian my family wasn't as supportive as I thought they would be. When they got used to the fact that I stopped eating meat, I became vegan. Now they are concerned about my health. *sigh* My friends, co-workers, and of course the members on this forum have been very supportive. The more information that I can share with my family about my choice the better. I also thought I would miss milk, eggs, and cheese. I tried to go without it for a few weeks and never looked back. I hope you find this forum as helpful for you as it has been for me.

Dealing with people's ignorance and bad attitudes is something that most of us have to do, unfortunately. Try not to let it get you down. It's great to hear that you want to go vegan. You'll find a lot of support on here, and it's definitely a great choice to make! I'd rather put up with some annoyances from other people than sacrifice my ethics and my health. It's a personal decision, so in the end it's up to you...do what you feel is right for you.

Welcome!

Most of the time when someone is being abrasive towards you regarding your decision to be vegan or vegetarian, it is just the person trying to justify his or herself. Pretty much, it is because you are making the person feel bad about his or her decision merely because of your decision.

Hello and welcome.. I'm still a bit of a newbie too.

I too receive quite a bit of mockery and teasing but most of the time it's in good humour from friends and family. I don't think anyone has ever meant to really put me down or truly ridicule the choices I've made. If someone does say something I usually just play along and not let them get to me, which might be easier said than done, but you really just have to brush it off. I've found that when you ignore someone and show that it doesn't bother you they will give up because they're just looking to get a reaction from you.

Welcome!

After you've been vegan for awhile, people start to leave you alone. I think in the beginning, we are a bit defensive or unsure of ourselves when we present our "new" beliefs or eating habits. Once it becomes natural to you, I think people stop sensing a weakness in your defenses and they realize that they look ridiculous when criticizing you. It also helps to have more mature acquaintances, of course. Remember that they are reacting defensively when they go on the offense because your beliefs make them feel that there might be something wrong with how they are eating. If you remain neutral then things settle down quickly. I never discuss veganism with people when eating or in a group setting if they are being offensive/defensive - tell them you'd be happy to discuss it at a future time, alone. This filters out those who just want a confrontation in front of others.

Good luck!

That's so true! Thinking about it, I realize that I haven't been attacked for being veggie/vegan in years, but that it happened quite often in the first year or maybe two. I also never bring it up. If someone asks me about it, I'll discuss it, but I guess you're right about confidence. After all these years, I'm so comfortable discussing it and handling all of the typical questions/arguments that you get that people never seem to go on the offensive. That, and I keep baking people delicious cookies, cakes and brownies. You can't yell at a guy who baked you brownies .