Australian 1000 Calorie Burger on Sale this week

sydneyvegan

You would think that now Australia is the Worlds Fattest Nation, that people would shy away from this sort of thing... Apparently Not.

(I realise you can probably get a 1000 Calorie Burger in the USA pretty Easily, but this was never the case in Australia)

Negative publicity from health experts about a “monstrous” four-patty burger has apparently only fuelled demand for the 4520Kj snack, which has gone on sale in Australia this week.

“I thought I would give it a try – after reading about how many calories and how much fat it had in it,’ one man told ninemsn as he stood in a fast-food queue.

Health experts have roundly criticised the new Quad Burger from Hungry Jacks, which comes with four beef patties, four slices of cheese, two rashers of bacon, barbecue sauce, and two buns. It has no lettuce or vegetables.

The burger has more than 70g of fat and over 4520Kj (1000 calories) – half the daily recommended calorie intake for a woman and nearly one-third for a man.

"That's just not right man, that's quite a lot and it's just real fat," Ed Whitlam, senior fitness coach at Living Well Health Club told ninemsn.

"1,000 calories is huge, it's massive," he said.

“As an example, an athletic person would need to run at a fast pace for four hours to burn off the calories”.

Health experts warn that eating even one of the burgers could have immediate health effects

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the USA, a burger of that size is typically found in what is called the McDonald's Happy Meal

Not really, but finding burgers of that size here is no difficult task. I've seen commercials for the Baconator from Wendys (which you'll find in most average to large sized cities), which is something like 3 patties, tons of cheese and 6 strips of bacon on top. I have the feeling that thing tops the 1000 calorie mark with little difficulty.

There are plenty of places around the USA that have "challenge" burgers, sometimes 3 to 4 lbs. total weight of beef on a bun (that's just about 1.36 to 1.8 kg for you non-USA folks ) Usually, it's a stupid game where someone orders it and they get an hour to finish the entire thing, much to the destruction of their digestive tract and likely the toilet afterward. I just drove past a place near my town that had a 3 lb. burger as their big feature on the sign outside, and that's just one of many I've seen over the years. It's little wonder why I come from one of the fattest states in the nation...

Omg.

Here in my town they just banned all junk food from schools. There's a lot of fat people around, and I realize why whenever I watch TV. See, at my house I don't watch TV. I don't even have cable. If I'm at my mom's place or something, I see commercials all the time for food. KFC, Wendy's, McDonald's, Dairy Queen.. you name it! They are constantly running junk food ads on the TV. It's awful. No wonder 60% of the population is a thunder thighs hambeast.

In the USA, a burger of that size is typically found in what is called the McDonald's Happy Meal

Not really, but finding burgers of that size here is no difficult task. I've seen commercials for the Baconator from Wendys (which you'll find in most average to large sized cities), which is something like 3 patties, tons of cheese and 6 strips of bacon on top. I have the feeling that thing tops the 1000 calorie mark with little difficulty.

There are plenty of places around the USA that have "challenge" burgers, sometimes 3 to 4 lbs. total weight of beef on a bun (that's just about 1.36 to 1.8 kg for you non-USA folks ) Usually, it's a stupid game where someone orders it and they get an hour to finish the entire thing, much to the destruction of their digestive tract and likely the toilet afterward. I just drove past a place near my town that had a 3 lb. burger as their big feature on the sign outside, and that's just one of many I've seen over the years. It's little wonder why I come from one of the fattest states in the nation...

Yeah I saw a few burgers like that when I was in the USA last year, a few people that looked like they ate those burgers too.

Traditionally Australia was a Meat and 3 Veg country, with pretty big serves of Meat, but people worked hard and played a lot of sport etc, so people weren't that over weight - Beer Belly's etc, where common, but people weren't obese....

I think the scariest thing about this are some of the comments people are making in regards to the article, here are a few...

"All u egg heads who bag this burger have no idea, i eat this burger and thank the man women who thought up the idea...it would be better if it had another pattie and cheese that would be awesome. seriously the burger is fine when i eat it it doesn't slow me down, make me tired, give me trouble sleeping or any of that stuff mentioned above. hungry jacks are a fastfood shop not a health centre if u dont like there food go get a boring sandwhich with rabbit food on it and leave the man burger to me"

"Sounds Yummy!!! Not everyone in Australia is fat, or has to watch what they eat. What's the big deal, a meal that provides a third of your daily calorific intake? Don't we generally eat three meals a day, isn't the idea that you get a third of your calories from each of those meals? If you don't like the look of it, just don't eat it"

"Why not just stuff a cow with bread and barbeque it yum"

I knew we had plenty of Rednecks here, I just didn't realise we had this many

Going shopping is really depressing. I've always hated going to big shopping centres with food courts and all that jazz.. but lately I've been noticing that every second person I see is overweight. It's scary and people just don't seem to care. They're happy to chomp on their whoppers, big macs and large cokes.

It's interesting because my girlfriend and some other American friends, who I met when they came over here in June last year, said that there didn't seem to be many overweight people here. I think their words were something like "you don't have any fat people!"

It's interesting because my girlfriend and some other American friends, who I met when they came over here in June last year, said that there didn't seem to be many overweight people here. I think their words were something like "you don't have any fat people!"

I think that the use of BMI probably explains this situation.

It is possible to be in decent shape but still qualify as being obese via BMI since it's a bad indicator of true fitness and optimal weight based on varying body types. Using BMI, many people who appear to be in good shape will still come up as obese, or those who are simply wider framed who may have a little extra fat on them. So, if the monitoring agency that's tracking obesity is simply going by general population based on BMI numbers, then it is possible that Australia may have a higher percentage of overweight individuals. However, in the USA, there are probably a LOT more extremely obese people who have 50+ lbs. of excess fat, rather than just a bit extra. So, while the general numbers may say that there are more obese people in Australia, I'd have to believe that there are probably a LOT more here in the USA that are truly excessively obese rather than people who could get back to being "on the mark" via BMI readings simply by dropping a few kg of weight.

According to BMI figures, I should be weighing less than 180 lbs. just to not be obese in their book. When I weighed 192 lbs., I looked like a skeleton. So, that right there goes to show just how bad those stats are for determining obesity, and I'm sure that's what is being used as the general guideline for each nation's figures.

Good point. We actually had a quiz in class on Tuesday and whoever gave a good answer got to choose something random out of a bag of 'goodies' that the teacher had. I reached in and what I got was a BMI calculator..haha. It told me that I was right at the top of the healthy weight range and almost overweight. I'm 6'1" and 80 kg..

Yeah we over took the USA this year

Australia - 26% of the Adult Population are Obese

USA - 25% of the Adult Population are Obese

You would think that now Australia is the Worlds Fattest Nation...
I didn't know that. I'm not as embarrassed to be an American now.

Yeah we over took the USA this year

Australia - 26% of the Adult Population are Obese

USA - 25% of the Adult Population are Obese

Makes up for our disappointing effort at the Olympics

i did some research today and i found a place (not to far away from where i live) that serves a 1kg meat burger. if you finnish it you get a picture on their wall. according to my calculation the burger + dressing + bun would be approx 3400 kcal. sweden might challenge australia soon. be prepared.

That's crazy. I always knew that Americns were eating huge portions, but it only became real in my mind once I saw photos of fat people sitting at tables, each with a 50cm high pile of pancakes, with syrup and butter on top ? Then just some normal footage from tv showing people eating burgers that were 3x larger than those sold where I live, the people that were eating were also quite large. But Canada is just the reflection of USA, (I guess like Australia, and the rest of the world too), we follow, and now there's the stackers in Burger King where people try to stack as much as they can, I don't know if there's a limited number... can someone say he wants 50 stacks of beef ?

Before I went on a vegan diet Wendy's fastfood restaurants were my home away from home. Triple cheese burgers and Biggie Fries were my thang.

Amy's Quarter Pound Veggie Burger

Only 220 calories.

http://www.peertrainer.com/DFcaloriecounterB.aspx?id=57557

Quarter Pound Veggie Burger

Amy's Quarter Pound Veggie Burger combines fresh organic grains and vegetables with protein-rich soybeans and a hint of barbeque sauce to create a firm, great tasting burger tht's perfect for barbecuing or grilling.

Quarter Pound Veggie Burger

INGREDIENTS : NO TRANS FAT • NO ADDED MSG • NO PRESERVATIVES(VEGAN): ORGANIC ONIONS, ORGANIC MUSHROOMS, FILTERED WATER, ORGANICBULGUR WHEAT, WHEAT GLUTEN, TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, ORGANICTOMATO PUREE, ORGANIC CELERY, ORGANIC CARROTS, ORGANIC EVAPORATED CANEJUICE, ORGANIC OATS, ORGANIC GREEN BELL PEPPERS, ORGANIC WALNUTS,EXPELLER PRESSED HIGH OLEIC SAFFLOWER OIL, SEA SALT, ORGANIC SWEET RICEFLOUR, SPICES, ORGANIC POTATOES, ORGANIC GARLIC, ORGANIC APPLE CIDERVINEGAR, ORGANIC BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES, GRAIN VINEGAR, GROUND MUSTARDSEEDS, NATURAL HICKORY SMOKE, ORGANIC BLACK PEPPER. CONTAINS WHEAT, SOY AND WALNUTS.