What B-12 supplement are you taking?

nou

Nutritional yeast (redstar)

or any b-12 that you can find. Most health foodstores carry it. The best is if you find as a B12 not a whole lot of other things with it.

I have known people for doing both. Just don't cook the nutritional yeast and keep out of the sun. That is what I heard. Sprinkle it on foods.

Nutritional yeast is not a reliable form of b-12. Most process the b-12 out. Unless the package specifically states that it contains b-12 the yeast likely does not. Be warned about co-op bulk bins. Such places will usually label a bin as being one thing and then put something else under that label. Alex Herschaft, the head of FARMUSA.org, the people who brought you AR 2008 got a b-12 deficiency that way.

I use Freeda Vitamins. They specialize in kosher vitamins with no binders or low allergenic ones so most of their products are vegan:

http://www.freedavitamins.com/

The second most optimal way to make sure you absorb b-12 is to take a sublingual lozenge you hold under your tongue until it dissolves. I buy such a lozenge from them:

http://www.freedavitamins.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=cat_07

The human body stores some vitmain b-12. It can take several years to deplete those stores. It is hard to replace those stores. A human body will only take in so much at one time so it takes a gradual steady intake to build those stores back up.

Many foods like cereals and some soy foods are fortified with b-12. Depending on a person's eating habits using those foods may not be enough to void getting sick or may be just enough to avoid deficiency symptoms, but not enough for optimum health.

I want to say that I forget her name but she was at the VBB booth at the AR conference an says she never supplements on pills. She just sprinkled her food with yeast with b12 from her coop which has a bin. She has been vegan and says her levels are just fine. I think you just go to be consistent and make sure it does have B

Yeah I agree some people think B-12 ain't so tasty.

I'm surprised at the number of vegans I know who don't realize that not all nutritional yeast contains B-12. I used to work across the street from a Whole Foods Market whose bulk bin NY didn't contain B-12. I had a co-worker who was vegan and when I told her the bulk bin NY at this particular WFM didn't contain B-12 she didn't believe me.

READ THE NUTRITIONAL FACTS LABEL!

I worked my way through school in a food collective with bulk bins with exactly the situation you described. I even caught vegan coworkers order yeast without b-12 AND stocking it in bulk bins labeled as yeast with b-12. I've been around enough to know that BS goes in other food stores with bulk bins.

Alex Herschaft, the head of farmusa.org, the people who put on AR 2008 got a severe b-12 deficiency several years ago from that exact situation. He used bulk bin nutritional yeast no knowing that only 1 type has it and trusting that the store he shopped at put the right yeast in the right bin. His doctor had him on all sorts of supplements and testosterone to try treat him for a debilitating lack of energy.

Herschaft finally got cured when he came across of Jack Norris RD's veganoutreach.org article on b-12. He took some old b-12 pills he had in a fridge and got over it before he got permanent damage.

I assumed the bulk bin nutritional yeast at Whole Foods Market contained B-12 until I read the nutritional facts label one day and asked someone who worked at WFM who confirmed it. The same grocery store sells Red Star NY with B-12 in a container.

Note: A person can purchase bulk bin NY without B-12 with Food Stamps from WFM but not the Red Star NY with B-12 because the state considers the Red Star container to be a nutritional supplement not food. Low-income vegans get screwed by the government surprise, surprise, surprise.