NUTRITIONISTS

sweet.sarah

So I went to the nutritionist. I need to lose fat (current weight 140lbs 25%BF, my ideal wight is 123lbs). We all know that what we eat is key to success here (you can train your ass off but if you don't eat properly it's useless!) so I wanted to get the best plan I could. Besides, being a vegetarian, makes it harder for me to know if I'm doing things right (I've been a vegetarian for less than six months). My problem is, after all I've read around here and in other bodybuilding sites and forums, I think there's no nutritionist capable of giving me THE perfect diet. So I didn't go with much expectations

The diet she gave me was far from good... a complete disaster to tell you the truth!!! I'm too lazy to type it all, but trust me... it stinks. For example, mid-morning/mid afternoon meal: a medium size fruit (or two small fruits) or 5 nuts (FIVE?!?! I don't even get 1g of protein with that). She added seeds to the diet (in salads) because when we had the interview I told her I eat seeds, like flex, sesame, sunflower and so on. Also, apparently I can only eat TWO eggs a week; whites are ok so she gave me TWO per day! YAY! And I don't see the word SOY in the diet, or quinoa (I don't think she even knows about quinoa seeds). AND the days I train (I told her I take proteins afterwards) I should eat one egg less and one portion of cheese less.

Oh well... I can go on and on... but I guess you got the idea.

The question here is, do you think I should stick to my way? Or try another nutritionist that actually knows about vegetarianism?!? I think the thing is that they are not used to structure diets for vegetarians, let alone vegetarians who want to build muscle and lose fat. Maybe I should go to a dietist... they make all type of diets...

Whatever! I think I know better... geez! what do I do? what do I do?

BTW I base my diet on this: http://ksteveh.tripod.com/cuttingdiet.html which gives me a very broad spectrum, or so I think.

Thanks for your time! Opinions are very much apreciated.

Edited by sweet.sarah

There are some great bookson the subject. Many (including me) like Eat to Live.

You should check it out.

Your nutritionist is doing what's being asked from her. Everywhere she turns she gets the information that she gave you. She's doing her best and she's not the one to blame. The only hassle I have with some people in the health/medicare business is that they believe that the information the get is from objective, reliable sources which is sometimes not the case.

Everywhere she turns she gets the information that she gave you.

Very true, I didn't see it that way. After all she did give me a pretty "common" diet... and technically it's not wrong for a "common" person that doesn't know much about nutrition and fitness and just wants to "lose weight". And I did make it clear that I wanted to lose fat (and gain muscle), I don't really care that much about the number on the scale, as it's not really accurate.

Thanks for posting!

I can't really critique your nutritionist's food plan since you only gave us pieces of it. If you want a true critique then we'll need the entire plan, your height and weight, lean body mass (I noted your BF%, so forget this one), goals and current activity level (and possibly more information). It would help to also know if you take any supplements or have any medical issues. Without knowing your maintenance calorie range, grams of protein/carbs/fat, micronutrients, etc, it's really difficult to give a worthwhile opinion.

well, its hard to give you an answer thats any good without more information is all dv is saying. We don't know what "your way" is, OR the nutritionist's plan, so how can we answer what we think you should do?

Truth be told, if you dont like the plan, then your not going to stick with it. and at any rate you should find a nutritionist that works WITH you to help create a plan that is both optimal AND attainable. If you dont like it, keep looking.

I can't really critique your nutritionist's food plan since you only gave us pieces of it.

If I was asking you to critique the nutritionist's food plan, I would have given you the nutritionist's food plan.

Yes, but you did ask us what we thought about the diet that she gave you buy just giving us a very slim overview, and then asked us this below...

The question here is, do you think I should stick to my way? Or try another nutritionist that actually knows about vegetarianism?!?

I am not a Registered Dietitian, but I have to admit one of my pet peeves is when people want to do things "their way".... but they came to me to help them lose the fat that they weren't able to on their own. Even though you are not happy with the program that she gave you, you probably consulted a nutritionist because you weren't happy with the results that you were acheiving on your own correct?

I can tell you that I HAVE given a client a piece of fruit with 5 nuts before because she was 5 feet tall and 30 pounds overweight and putting a full serving of nuts or fats at each meal would have increased her calories too much to lose the fat she wanted to. But her protein for the day was about 100 grams or so (referring to your comment that the protein at that snack seemed too low). What your calorie needs are depends on your age, height, current weight, activity level and goals. Now if my client comes to me after a week and tells me she is hungry every day, I will add another serving of something and increase them gradually, but that is where the communication process comes in between you and the nutritionist. If you are wanting more food... tell her you are hungry... or ask her why only 5 nuts. Perhaps she can explain the reason to you.

Also sweet.sarah... the person who responded to you asking for a better overview of your diet plan (DV) is a Registered Nurse and knows QUITE a bit about nutrition and was simply asking for more information to better guide you.... which is what I would need to review to see why you think its such a crappy plan... because so far, giving you a snack with a piece of fruit and a few nuts and salads with nuts sounds like she's trying to increase your healthy fats, which is a good thing, but again... would need to see what breakfast and dinner looks like... etc.

I can't really critique your nutritionist's food plan since you only gave us pieces of it.

If I was asking you to critique the nutritionist's food plan, I would have given you the nutritionist's food plan.

Yes, but you did ask us what we thought about the diet that she gave you buy just giving us a very slim overview, and then asked us this below...

The question here is, do you think I should stick to my way? Or try another nutritionist that actually knows about vegetarianism?!?

I am not a Registered Dietitian, but I have to admit one of my pet peeves is when people want to do things "their way".... but they came to me to help them lose the fat that they weren't able to on their own. Even though you are not happy with the program that she gave you, you probably consulted a nutritionist because you weren't happy with the results that you were acheiving on your own correct?

I can tell you that I HAVE given a client a piece of fruit with 5 nuts before because she was 5 feet tall and 30 pounds overweight and putting a full serving of nuts or fats at each meal would have increased her calories too much to lose the fat she wanted to. But her protein for the day was about 100 grams or so (referring to your comment that the protein at that snack seemed too low). What your calorie needs are depends on your age, height, current weight, activity level and goals. Now if my client comes to me after a week and tells me she is hungry every day, I will add another serving of something and increase them gradually, but that is where the communication process comes in between you and the nutritionist. If you are wanting more food... tell her you are hungry... or ask her why only 5 nuts. Perhaps she can explain the reason to you.

Also sweet.sarah... the person who responded to you asking for a better overview of your diet plan (DV) is a Registered Nurse and knows QUITE a bit about nutrition and was simply asking for more information to better guide you.... which is what I would need to review to see why you think its such a crappy plan... because so far, giving you a snack with a piece of fruit and a few nuts and salads with nuts sounds like she's trying to increase your healthy fats, which is a good thing, but again... would need to see what breakfast and dinner looks like... etc.

1) I answered that way beacuse she was treating me like a stupid person and, honestly, I don't think anyone likes being treated like a stupid person. I simply answered back the same way she answered me. The first person that posted actually got the idea of what I was saying.

2) I've never asked what you thought about the diet beacause I already know it's not a good diet plan. I know that.

2) It's either a piece of fruit OR five nuts. And I know for a fact that as long as I have my proteins taken care of and I have a caloric deficit every day, it doesn't really matter THAT much where the calories come from (healthy fats or healthy carbs). It's 113g prot 150g carb and 70g fat. That's my plan. Total 1680cal/day. If I eat more fat than that I'll eat less carbs so as to keep the caloric intake. My nutritionist didn't even bother with this. And she told me she arranged the diet to have between 30 and 80g of proteins.

3) It's not that i don't like the results I'm getting, I do. I just thought that I may be missing out on something and that maybe I could be getting even BETTER results. The truth is that I did not study to become a nutritionist so my guess was that a nutritionist knows better than a person who just reads a lot about nutrition.

4) I did not question DV's knowledge on nutrition.

Yep, go and find another nutritionist that you can communicate with. My nutritionist is actually a medical intuitive, with her naturopathic husband (http://www.nutritional-solutions.com/asp/meet_lee_john.asp), that helped me greatly. So she is not a nutritionist, and when I told her that I was a vegan, she said enthusiastically that she could work with that. We've had our misunderstandings, but I was able to communicate with her that some of the supplements she prescribed were in gelatin capsules - not vegan. She apologized and then found another supplier that made vegetarian capsules with the prescribed supplement. You need to be comfortable with this person. Keep on looking.

Thanks for your time! Opinions are very much apreciated.

Really?

1) I answered that way beacuse she was treating me like a stupid person and, honestly, I don't think anyone likes being treated like a stupid person. I simply answered back the same way she answered me. The first person that posted actually got the idea of what I was saying.

I'm not sure how I was treating you like a stupid person by asking you for more information. That certainly was not my intent.

Yep, go and find another nutritionist that you can communicate with. My nutritionist is actually a medical intuitive, with her naturopathic husband (http://www.nutritional-solutions.com/asp/meet_lee_john.asp), that helped me greatly. So she is not a nutritionist, and when I told her that I was a vegan, she said enthusiastically that she could work with that. We've had our misunderstandings, but I was able to communicate with her that some of the supplements she prescribed were in gelatin capsules - not vegan. She apologized and then found another supplier that made vegetarian capsules with the prescribed supplement. You need to be comfortable with this person. Keep on looking.

I think I'll try one more time and see how it goes. I'm seeing a dietician this time. I was told that they are a better choice when it comes to making diets (of course) for athletes, for example. And they have diets for just about anything... the vegetarian part complicates things a bit BUT that is solely what they do. Also diets for people who have medical conditions that require it.

When you say to a nutritionist that you want to lose weight (which I didn't say, I said lose fat), they give you a general basic diet. This woman I saw actually gave me a printed diet you could see it was the one she gave to everyone and she simply crossed out the part that said meat and put "one egg, a slice of cheese and seeds" as a replacement. She didn't even prepare it with me, I saw her and she said she'd leave the diet plan in the gym on friday.

Thank you for posting!

Remember you are a consumer! And you can be a picky one when it comes to your goals and such. If someone can just print off a diet, which you can do off the internet from a reliable site, then that person doesn't care about your goals and what you want. You will know that you have found the right one. Just like with anything, you will feel the "click" between you and the person (I say it is when your energies/life force are on the same wavelength ). You will know, but I will warn you not to dismiss someone just because they don't have ALL the knowledge about vegan/vegetarian diets. You might have to educate them, but just a little. It needs to be someone who cares and wants you to get to your goals. Someone who you would hate to disappoint also when you fall off the wagon or can talk you out of pigging out because you had a bad day. You will find it. Just keep looking. The world is full of people! And some of those people are there to help! So keep trying. (P.S. I found mine at Whole Foods! She was doing a seminar and aura readings. I had been looking for a year or so for someone to help me get off my meds using nutrition! It took us 4 months to get me off my meds, and have been off for a year now! She also helped me keep my sanity while dieting down this summer.Put effort into it and the karma will come!).

Remember you are a consumer! And you can be a picky one when it comes to your goals and such. If someone can just print off a diet, which you can do off the internet from a reliable site, then that person doesn't care about your goals and what you want. You will know that you have found the right one. Just like with anything, you will feel the "click" between you and the person (I say it is when your energies/life force are on the same wavelength ). You will know, but I will warn you not to dismiss someone just because they don't have ALL the knowledge about vegan/vegetarian diets. You might have to educate them, but just a little. It needs to be someone who cares and wants you to get to your goals. Someone who you would hate to disappoint also when you fall off the wagon or can talk you out of pigging out because you had a bad day. You will find it. Just keep looking. The world is full of people! And some of those people are there to help! So keep trying. (P.S. I found mine at Whole Foods! She was doing a seminar and aura readings. I had been looking for a year or so for someone to help me get off my meds using nutrition! It took us 4 months to get me off my meds, and have been off for a year now! She also helped me keep my sanity while dieting down this summer.Put effort into it and the karma will come!).

Thanks!

Door number 2. Nutritionists are notorious for not learning anything once they are out of school and they start off with information years out of date in school. Jack Norris is a vegan RD, his site is veganhealth.org. If you contact him he may have information for finding a veg friendly nutritionist in your area. Most vegan nutrition experts if you contact them will contact you back so you have nothing to lose by asking for a referral.

A nutritionist who doesn't know veg*n nutrition will likely not give you reliable information. If they do, they are likely just to go out and read a book you could have read for yourself -- for a lot less money. To that end you may want to read this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13710

Edited by beforewisdom

Door number 2. Nutritionists are notorious for not learning anything once they are out of school and they start off with information years out of date in school. Jack Norris is a vegan RD, his site is veganhealth.org. If you contact him he may have information for finding a veg friendly nutritionist in your area. Most vegan nutrition experts if you contact them will contact you back so you have nothing to lose by asking for a referral.

A nutritionist who doesn't know veg*n nutrition will likely not give you reliable information. If they do, they are likely just to go out and read a book you could have read for yourself -- for a lot less money. To that end you may want to read this:

http://veganbodybuilding.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13710

Thanks for your time.

I'm gonna check Jack Norris' site. Since I'm from Argentina, I think I'm not going to have much luck with the veg friendly nutritionist recommendation in my area but I'll give it a try. As you said, I have nothing to lose.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your time.

I'm gonna check Jack Norris' site. Since I'm from Argentina, I think I'm not going to have much luck with the veg friendly nutritionist recommendation in my area but I'll give it a try. As you said, I have nothing to lose.

Thanks again.

Yep, I heard Argentina is a big cattle country. You don't need to see someone in person for them to set up a vegan diet for you. We live in the internet age and with cell phones with no special long distance charges. Vegan nutrition is simple. Reading 1-2 good books on the subject should be all you need to set something up for yourself. Good luck.

I have to second the suggestion to check out the book "Eat to Live", and Dr. Fuhrman's website, drfuhrman.com. Also, there are people on this site very experienced in vegan nutrition and fitness...hello, its a vegan fitness forum!! I found Robert Cheeke's articles really helpful. Also, these ladies really know their stuff.

Dr. Fuhrman is THE SMARTEST guy in nutrition I have ever read, and listened to. I have been studying biochemistry and nutrition for over 20 years, and I learned more from him in his one book (Eat to Live) than in all that time combined. Check it out!

Also, I appreciate the way you worked out your disagreement there. If everyone on this forum was as polite, it would be great. (just occasionally people-read "guys"-get a little rude). What is it about forums that gives people license to be jerks, sometimes? Thanks for taking that on, sweetsarah...blessings!

DV I'm sorry if your post made me feel like an idiot. I realize now that it was not your intention, I'm just very sensitive to that. My apologies if you felt insulted by my reply.

Thanks

It's all good. I was reading your post before I went to sleep and obviously missed your real question. I do much better in real life conversations!