Shaolin Warrior Workout

I just purchased this DVD and i was wondering if anyone knows anything about it and if it's any good?

i put it on just to see what it's like and as yet i haven't done the workout. it looks ok from what i've seen. i guess i'm just wondering if this is the best thing to do for a novice like me. it has three stages; beginner, intermediate and advanced.

any advice would be appreciated.

I googled it. Youtube has a video, is this what you are talking about?:

My opinion from what Ive seen if this is the correct video:

What are you trying to accomplish?

If you want to learn self defense, go join a a gym where they have you spare constantly. I took Muay Thai before I tore my knee. The first class was bag work and sparing. By the end of 3 months of training it was full contact. The way to learn how to fight for self defense is to actually fight people. There have been many contests where a person who was trained in boxing for 2 years fought someone who never spared and trained in karate for 5 years. The boxers always won.

If traditional (chinese/japanese) martial arts are you bag, then try Jeet Kune Do, but make sure they spare (most, if not all, do). There arent a lot of traditional chinese / japanese martial arts (karate, shaolin, tai chi, wing chun) gym where I live that do this, but there are couple.

If your interested in learning forms, then this seems like a good start. Forms teach you control and how to control you "chi". A lot of times they are a great cardiovascular workout. Some form work are almost full HIIT workouts.

So what are you looking for? Self defense, traditional MA, forms, or just a solid workout with punches and kicks?

As to whether your ready for this or not is for you to decide. Some of the stretches in the video I know I couldnt do right now, so take it easy and slow. Go at your own pace before you start doing stuff you dont understand or dont have the flexibility or power to do yet.

Edited: PS: some of the responses on youtube say this video series is a good workout. I still think it all depends on what you want your goals are when following a martial art

• 1 month later...

I was in the national team in my country for the martial art that the shaolin monks do that is wushu. It's not too good for fighting but as a general work out it's great and gives you a lot of strength, stability, flexibility and endurance. This all also gets you a nice body.

My quads got huge in two months practicing wushu but I was in a team with a live professor so my advice would be to make an effort for doing all the movements as fully as you can. When you are in low positions, try to do it as low as you can without deforming the form, it'll get your heart rate up and your muscles working really hard.

Good luck with it and drop me a PM if you have any question. I'd be more than happy to help you if I can.

• 2 months later...

i have the video. The instructor really knows his stuff. I just started using it as my workout regime, its a very good workout. no shaolin kung fu is not about fighting , its about spiritual and physical development. if you are are really into kung fu like me try it!