Squats

I'm just getting into squats, and they're great, but I'm having a few issues and I'd like some clarification.

1. Neck pain. I'm only doing 115-135lbs, but it kinda hurts my neck to rest the bar across my trapezeus muscles; I think tonight I resurrected a sleep-induced pulled muscle from last week. I don't understand how guys can put 300lbs on their necks. Am I doing something wrong?

2. Cardio time. Phew, do I start huffing during a set. That's OK, right?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just getting into squats, and they're great, but I'm having a few issues and I'd like some clarification.

1. Neck pain. I'm only doing 115-135lbs, but it kinda hurts my neck to rest the bar across my trapezeus muscles; I think tonight I resurrected a sleep-induced pulled muscle from last week. I don't understand how guys can put 300lbs on their necks. Am I doing something wrong?

2. Cardio time. Phew, do I start huffing during a set. That's OK, right?

Hey, VeganDrew!

1. Regarding neck pain, how high are you placing the bar? This can have an effect on things like neck pain if you have the bar riding too high. I myself have low, wide-set trapezius which makes it harder for me to have a high-bar stance comfortably, so I go with a low-bar position resting further down. Here's a photo I always use to illustrate where the bar ends up on my back:

http://www.veganessentials.com/images/SquatBack.jpg

Keep in mind, this was taken to show how tore up my back was from doing something like 20 heavy sets with a deeply knurled bar, so don't expect the same thing to happen to you for looking like you've been run through a grinder

For me, having the bar higher just isn't comfortable, and years ago when I used to try to squat high-bar, I would get tingling in my left arm afterward (which isn't a good thing). Also, you need to make sure that you're not resting the bar on any vertebrae, that it's always on the muscle shelf to hold it in place. Remember, squeeze the shoulder blades back HARD as you get into position and it will create a better shelf for you to rest the bar on. As you see in the photo, the "damage zone" is in an arc, not straight, which is due to squeezing the shoulder blades back into position for me to get the ideal spot for placement. It can take a bit of time for learning how to get the spot that's most comfortable - having a low bar placement can force you to change technique a bit, but as I always say, play around with bar positions, stance widths, etc. and sooner or later, you're going to find that sweet spot that feels best.

2. For huffing and puffing, it wouldn't be a good set if you felt like carrying on a long conversation afterward Squats are meant to be brutal, and doing higher rep work is some of the most physically devastating stuff I've tried over the years (even easy weights for 10+ reps leave me winded sometimes). Squats have a whole different feel for how they impact your body after a set, so if you're really worn out and winded, there's nothing wrong with that!

I was going to respond with some advice but I think VE covered everything.

Low bar is a lot more comfortable for me too. With practice you'll learn to hold the bar on your back by squeezing your shoulder blades together. When I squat, my back takes all the weight and my hands are resting on the bar, with straight wrists

Those were high. And you seem to be using some bizarre tracked abomination...

Edited to add: Anything done on a smith machine doesn't qualify as a squat. On any other lifting website, that video would get a very poor reception; it's certainly not an example of vegan strength to *not* squat 285 on a smith machine using a bar pad...and it has no relevance to bar positioning when actually squatting.

Edited by ralst

To the OP: aside from what VeganEssentials said, neck pain can also come from head positioning during the squats. Are you looking up as you squat? A lot of people advise that, and a lot of people do that, but looking up involves taking the head and neck way out of a neutral alignment while under load, and is in my opinion a bad idea. Too easy to tweak a neck muscle with your head way back looking at the ceiling; my advice would be to try to adopt a neutral head positioning while squatting, which should mean you're looking down towards the ground at a point some 5-10 feet in front of you.

Those were high. And you seem to be using some bizarre tracked abomination...

Edited to add: Anything done on a smith machine doesn't qualify as a squat. On any other lifting website, that video would get a very poor reception; it's certainly not an example of vegan strength to *not* squat 285 on a smith machine using a bar pad...and it has no relevance to bar positioning when actually squatting.

OP: Neck problems? Grow some traps.

Those are quarter squats in the vid.

There are a few guys on this forum who talk hardcore about weight training and how BIG they are; then they post videos of themselves weight training that aren't impressive. Someone else posted a squat vid of themsleves doing 1/8 squats and conventional deadlifts wearing sissy gloves using a snatch grip.

Don't talk hardcore unless you can back it up Poseurs!

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love hearing Octo get shit! I agree... Smith machines SUCK! Squat for real. I only go to 90 degrees due to serious knee injurys that Im currently ignoring... Will get some pics... Did 3 x 8 @ 280 of 275 the other night so Im getting up there... Will try to get video or recent squat pics.

Are you looking up as you squat? A lot of people advise that, and a lot of people do that, but looking up involves taking the head and neck way out of a neutral alignment while under load, and is in my opinion a bad idea.

Aye that's a change I made a while back on squats and deadlifts too. Feels a lot more natural to me to keep the spine elongated.

In defense of Octo I used to train in a bodybuilding gym and that depth of squat is the norm. I don't see a problem with it if they get the muscle building results they want from it. I wish they wouldn't quote squat numbers on that back of it though.

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love hearing Octo get shit! I agree... Smith machines SUCK! Squat for real. I only go to 90 degrees due to serious knee injurys that Im currently ignoring... Will get some pics... Did 3 x 8 @ 280 of 275 the other night so Im getting up there... Will try to get video or recent squat pics.

stopping at 90 degrees while squatting is probably the worst thing you can do to your knees.

Oh no Jimi's great its just good to see him get shit ! No defending him!!! And I only go to 90 degrees - cant go more - fun experience having knee lock and couldnt stand up or sit down for a while....

Did 3 x 8 @ 280 of 275 the other night so Im getting up there... Will try to get video or recent squat pics.
Luck, I'm confused. 3x8 @ 280 of 275?? Did you do 3 sets of 8 with 275lbs or 280lbs. Either way those are impressive numbers for a 135lb fat kid along with your 175lb bench. Damn grrrrrrl you're strong!

Did 3 x 8 @ 280 of 275 the other night so Im getting up there... Will try to get video or recent squat pics.
Luck, I'm confused. 3x8 @ 280 of 275?? Did you do 3 sets of 8 with 275lbs or 280lbs. Either way those are impressive numbers for a 135lb fat kid along with your 175lb bench. Damn grrrrrrl you're strong!

Yeah I'm gonna go shoot myself now, thanks.

To the OP: aside from what VeganEssentials said, neck pain can also come from head positioning during the squats. Are you looking up as you squat? A lot of people advise that, and a lot of people do that, but looking up involves taking the head and neck way out of a neutral alignment while under load, and is in my opinion a bad idea. Too easy to tweak a neck muscle with your head way back looking at the ceiling; my advice would be to try to adopt a neutral head positioning while squatting, which should mean you're looking down towards the ground at a point some 5-10 feet in front of you.

I dont see how the head and neck would be under load while squatting unless you are squatting with the bar on your head ? There could still be tension though of course.

I agree that looking towards the ceiling sounds excessive, I think usually it is reccomended to find a focal point located slightly below eye level when standing. I'm not sure what exactly the experts say on this for squats, but I know that for the oly lifts there are two schools of thought, one is holding the head up and the other is keeping the head in alignment with the spine. Both seem to work. Therefore I would guess both are fine for squats too, matter of personal preference probably.

There are a few guys on this forum who talk hardcore about weight training and how BIG they are; then they post videos of themselves weight training that aren't impressive. Someone else posted a squat vid of themsleves doing 1/8 squats and conventional deadlifts wearing sissy gloves using a snatch grip.

Nothing wrong with snatch grip though ?

And to go completely on topic, couldnt it just be the traps not being used to having the bar resting on them?

In defense of Octo I used to train in a bodybuilding gym and that depth of squat is the norm. I don't see a problem with it if they get the muscle building results they want from it. I wish they wouldn't quote squat numbers on that back of it though.
There's no defense for a trash talker who thinks he's big and bad with his useless non-functional muscles.

I'm used to see bodybuilders like Ronnie Coleman and Tom Platz squat. I have a photo from a book in front of me of Tom Platz doing Full Smith machine squats, hams touching his calves. What's Octopussies excuse?

Nothing wrong with snatch grip though ?
There's nothing wrong with a snatch grip unless the person thinks it's proper hand positioning for a conventional deadlift and that same person has an ego. A person needs to grow some knowledge before they can grow an ego.

And to go completely on topic, couldnt it just be the traps not being used to having the bar resting on them?
I was being sarcastic about growing some traps, but yes, what you said could be the issue. You should see my back the day after I do good mornings. Edited by Anonymous

http://www.myspace.com/lilmissluck

Lots of pics - shoutl be some squat ones somewhere..

@ 275 lbs or 280... we werent sure on the bar, Im betting it was 45 lb though... but I really wanna say it was a 50 lb one.

3 sets of 8 at whatever 275 or 280....

I understand now.

And thanks this fat kid is getting there.
You're there if you can squat slightly over 2X your BW for 24 reps. That's the equivalent of a 200lb person squatting 3x8x407lbs